1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low Rolling Resistance replacement tires: Current List

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Apr 17, 2011.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good catch! :p

2. Kristian

Kristian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    True, and forgive me for keep on going, what I don't understand is whether it's actually possible to mount 195/65/15 tires on the OE rims (on the inside of the door it does say 185/65/15, so it's OE wheels with new tires, I presume)?

Disclaimer, I'm from Denmark, so never had a car before, only bicycles :)

3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They would mount just fine. The wheels are 15x6". A 195 will fit on a 6" wide wheel without issue. A 205/65/15 would mushroom out I believe.

4. Kristian

Kristian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But that's the thing, we have currently 205 tires on OE wheels... Hmmm, I'll just get the 195 and hopefully all is good :)
    Thanks F8L for all the help—others too naturally :)

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No problem. :)

Take a picture of the wheel and tire from the front then a side profile view. Post it when you get a chance. I'm interested to see how it fits.

Kristian likes this.
  6. nycaznmike

nycaznmike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a 2010 prius in the v package (leather, navi, 17" factory rims). The Toyota dealer installed 17" yokohama avid envigor 215 45 17 tires onto them and for the first year of ownership, I was embarrassed to only get 43-44 mpg on a prius. 8 months ago, I picked up a used set of factory 15" wheels w/ stock Yokohama Avid S33 tires and have been averaging 50 mpg on them. I've been eyeing the stock 17's in my basement (they look soo good)and yearn to remount them with the appropriate LRR tires. I know the Envigors aren't LRR tires. Any tire gurus out there know if I could realize 50mpg with a different brand / model tire?

7. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm getting close to 50 on 17" Michelin ES-A/S on my pig of a v, so yeah you should be able to beat that. (215/50R17)

8. Kristian

Kristian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Voila, does these work?
    Ordering the Ecopia EP422 195/65/15 this week...

Attached Files:

9. steveoknievo

steveoknievo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I wish the Energy Saver A/S's were more popular with the general public/made in the Prius C size. I spoke with a fella from TireRack and he said they were very average tires with decent tread life..Even made it sound like they would be discontinued soon.. That's the opposite of the impression I've gotten from you guys! I'd love to get them in my size (I'm after the ultimate in MPG's!) but it looks like the next best would be the Ecopia's since the Energy Saver A/S's aren't available. Bummer! The Turanza's on my car now aren't considered LRR, so I'm hoping when I do need to make the change it'll be noticeable.

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. Those are the OE wheels and the 195/65/15 will fit.

Kristian likes this.
  11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is because not everyone puts the same emphasis on fuel economy that we do. Comparing performance to other non-LRR tires they are indeed average. In terms of fuel efficiency they are outstanding. I wouldn't put them on a Corvette but I wouldn't put ultra high performance tires on a Prius either.

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is not an apples to apples comparison. If he is getting 50mpg with OE 15s he will not get 50mpg with aftermarket 17s unless his driving style/commute/conditions change. To make things worse, the ESAS doesn't come in a 215/45/17 or 205/50/17 which the GenIII needs. :(

13. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The OP has factory 17" wheels.

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    He removed them and installed 15" OE tires/wheels. He was asking about going back to the OE 17" wheels with aftermarket tires. :)

15. Bob G IA

Bob G IA Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I ordered my Pure Contacts on Monday from tirerack.com and had them installed at Tires Plus today. I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform.

F8L likes this.
  16. nycaznmike

nycaznmike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yep, I have the factory OE 17" stored away and looking to junk those Yoko Envigor tires in favor of a the best LRR 215 45 17 tire that will still get me closer to 50mpg. I've been working on my driving style and getting mid 50's w/ OE 15" Yoko S33s the last two fillups.

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Expect a solid 3-5mpg loss with the 17s and a tire like the Ecopia EP422. So now that you are in the mid 50s with 15s you could touch 50mpg with the 17s BUT winter is coming up quick and mpg will drop so keep that in mind if you decide to make the switch right away. i.e. the mpg loss could look much larger than it really is if you switch right before a major change in weather. :)

18. Mozart23

Mozart23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've read this thread and done other tire research online and I'm still struggling with the decision re: replacing the tires on my 2010. My initial plan was to get the Energy Saver A/S at Costco with the current Michelin rebate, but Costco tells me they can't get them. They are pushing the Defender. It looks like I can get the ES at another local retailer, but they'd be about $100 more than the Ecopia422 (or the Defender). I don't like the wear complaints on the ProContact EcoPlus. PureContact? My OEM tires are the Fuel Assurance and I've been pretty happy with the wear (I'm just under 55,000) and the fuel mileage but would like to improve wet traction and noise. I'm not obsessed with MPG but I think a significant drop would bother me. Thoughts?

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure why the ESAS would be more expensive than the Defender. They retail for about the same price.

If you are having trouble getting them then look at the PureContact. It offer good fuel economy and MUCH better wet traction than anything else in this class of tire. Wear should be great too but it is still too new to say for certain.

20. Mozart23

Mozart23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks F8L, that helps. The price difference between the Defender and the ESAS is mainly because I can get the Defender at Costco (with reduced price and $70 rebate through Sunday), and the ESAS not. They would be about the same price at Costco if the ESAS was available.