1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low Rolling Resistance replacement tires: Current List

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Apr 17, 2011.

1. cdh

cdh New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a follow up to my post #996 comparing the Premier A/S from my Hydroedge, returning the Premiers for the Energy Savers. I'm not so sure about my previous criticism with the Premiers because am concerned that the volume indicated by the pump may have been off as the MFD was about 5.5 mph higher than by division, making the Premiers look bad.

I don't think there is a substantial improvement of the Energy Saver over the Premiers, perhaps 2.5 mpg. I switched from the 195/65/15 Premiers to the 185/60/15 Energy Savers and took a road trip to Hilton Head (freeway, mostly at 66mph at 42/40 psi) with a 40-50 mph side trip to Savanah adding another 60 miles to this 550 mile trip. I'm using the MFD read outs to make the comparisons. Though the MFD is usually 3 mph more that actual, its easy to get confused if different pumps cut off at different points, accuracy in their reported volume, etc. Theses errors in actual pumped fuel may skew the results in these anecdotal reports. I think the difference in the read outs between tires will be accurate.

The MFD was returning 54.5 mpg where I was getting about 52 MPG with the Premiers in similar driving. The Premiers were substantially quieter on the freeway, and the tires "felt" better, probably due to the wider tread width. Had I had this information, I probably would have kept the Premiers. Had I had as much information as has been reported on the last several posts, I think I would have been happiest with the longer wearing Defenders and their reported "cushier" feel.

2. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

OK, at 42K my tires still look good with the OEMS. Same question, can all these tire recommendations give better MPG than my EP20's and Good year assurance factory MIJ tires?

Not worth the risk where I live to go with a tire that gets worse mileage. Is somebody no kidding getting better MPG with something else?

I am getting ready to buy two for blow outs at Tire Rack.

HaroldW likes this.
  3. mycnam

mycnam Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Counting the size difference of the Energy Saver A/S, it really reads 54.5*(185/195) = 51.7 mpg, not that different from Premier A/S.

Nexus 7 ?

4. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'll just have to assume you weren't going for a comparison of actual MPG changes cause by the tire size difference, just trying to convey a multiplier for comparison based on MFD inaccuracy.

If you think that 185/195 is good math for the conversion, I'd say look at the tires again. For the Energy Saver A/S we have

195/65/15 25.0" diameter 832 rpm
    185/65/15 24.5" diameter 851 rpm

and the Premier A/S is

195/65/15 25.0" diameter 832 rpm (although at a different load and speed rating)

why not use 24.5/25? How about 832/851?

I think the rpm of the tire is a closer match to the display inaccuracy

185/195 ~= 0.9487 (rounded) section width
    832/851 ~= 0.9777 (rounded) rpm
    24.5/25 = 0.98 diameter

the number you used is for width of the tire which doesn't affect displayed MPG directly (might affect actual MPG which is a factor in displayed MPG but not at the ratio you implied). I'd use the RPM as the correction factor for simple/rough comparisons.

and just for the record anything short of carefully logging the fuel pumped and consumed vs miles driven is just a shortcut that won't give enough accuracy to fully compare two tires even if they are the same brand/style/model.

5. cdh

cdh New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I forgot to mention, the ES 185/60/16 I was getting 66 actual mph when the speedometer read 67 mph. I was getting the exact same readings with the Premier 195/65/15 at that speed (speedometer 1 mph above actual at 66 mph ground speed). My Hydroedge with 65000 miles on them indicated a 3 mph lower actual ground speed at 67 mph indicated. (2006 Prius)

I therefore assumed that the odometer readings between the tires was "close enough". You can go crazy with this. I guess that's an argument for choosing the longest wearing just to avoid this periodic torment.

6. mycnam

mycnam Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My mistake, I should use the actual diameter, and the displayed mpg should be corrected by this factor because the computer calculate it by number of rotations.

Does this show Premier A/S is not too bad comparing to Energy Saver A/S?

Nexus 7 ?

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. The Permier is nowhere near as fuel efficient as the Energy Saver A/S.

8. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I just bought a new 2014 Avalon Hybrid XLE Touring. It came with Primacy MXV4. I like them. Quiet and comfortable ride.

9. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Did you have the EP 20s before? If so, how do they compare?

10. priusdonkey

priusdonkey Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    no - Goodyear Assurance = Assurance tires Good(ForOne)Year
    definitely better. Not by a long shot, but noticeable. I think they will last twice as long, Not sure about the EP20? never had them. try calling Bridgestone up, they have a technical support department and i am sure tier two could answer your question? also try searching ep20 vs. ecopia 422

11. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My EP20's and Goodyear Assurance have lots of miles. EP 20 has roughly 42K and GYA has roughly 50K. They both show low wear but the Goodyear's have the lowest wear per mile. So low I might get 4 more for spares. Alignment and balance are good as well as PSI at 42.

HaroldW likes this.
  12. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I tried to order the Energy Saver A/S from Costco last week and they said that they are on back order. I called Michelin and they confirmed and also said that there is not a scheduled production date.

With that in mind what is my second best option that comes as close to the Energy Savers?

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You can't go wrong with Bridgestone ecopia ep20.

HaroldW likes this.
  14. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    great tire folks. You could do a lot worse.

Reminds me I need to check the PSI as the dealer just changed my oil.

15. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Between the Michelin Defender XT and the Bridgestone Ecopia EP20 which will give me the best MPG?
    I'm replacing the stock Yokohama Avids and would like a little better mpg.

16. kitkit201

kitkit201 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oh Man.. i was just gonna swap them out with the Defenders again since I wanted a quieter ride, but it sounds like should just keep them

17. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    There is a reason no one is answering the questions on the TOP MPG tires. I have found by trial and error that on warm and medium cold roads the OEMs are the best. Up North in snow you have different issues to deal with. If you drive fast on wet roads you have different issues. I drive slow on warm roads and the OEMs are the best for MPG for me only.

It depends on where your live and how you drive. I drive for max MPG folks on Florida roads and not Northern Michigan.

18. kitkit201

kitkit201 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just checked around the SF bay area and there is only 1 America's tire that has 1 Energy Saver tire in stock.. seems like the supply has run dry on them (at least for now). Thankful that I found the one by El Camino had them in stock last month. I'll just keep them and call it a day.

19. Epiphany2000

Epiphany2000 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was speaking with a friend recently about purchasing some LRR tires. She called her local tire place, and the guy she spoke with said that Michelin is "trying to" discontinue the Energy Saver model. My local Costco had them in stock about a week ago (not sure if such is still the case). I won't be needing new tires for another ~6 months, so I'll just have to see what's available at the time.

20. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Defender XT vs EP20
    I live in Los Angeles so it almost all warm dry driving. I wouldn't mind the defenders but I here both good and bad regarding mpg