1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low Rolling Resistance replacement tires: Current List

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Apr 17, 2011.

1. harrysprius

harrysprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You beat me Mendel.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. Chris_D

Chris_D Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Touring
    Wow thank you guys for all your help!
    Waaaay more info here than in any other hybrid site....duh!! Prius has been in the game amd kicking butt for quite a long time,so if course there will be more fellow hybrid and mpg warriors on here :D
    Truth be told,I do have a 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid,but it's a hybrid so don't be too harsh on me as I don't own a prius...but you guys know waaay more than any other site I've looked and searched.
    Only problem I have is that I haven't sound any info on the non A/S version hence my inquiry.
    I will run dedicated snow/winter tires.
    My OEM A/S 225/50/17 have been amazing this far,just wanna reach higher mpg that's all.....should've bought a Prius lol (I'm sure that's gonna be on all of your minds haha) but I didn't...wanted to,but the Honda came with an offer I couldn't refuse.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our OEM Michelin Pilot tires were manufactured 5th week of 2009, still on the car. I am getting a little concerned, but they're really low miles and the car's garage stored. We have only 70K kilometers on the odo, and the OEM's are off every winter when I swap to snow tires. They will certainly be retired for age rather than wear.

Can't complain about them btw, but they're expensive as heck. Also, ours say "Green X", but apparently replacement ones don't? o_O

4. Chris_D

Chris_D Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah that's a pretty decent age for a tire,8 years.
    You've got me thinking now,the whole old batch of the potential tires....I'm not gonna buy them if they are older than 5, I don't like to gamble that way.....have a replacement in mind tho,the Nexen N Blue EV,they were/are made specifically for the Kia Soul EV and supposedly have ultra low rolling resistance....problem is I don't know much about the manufacturer other than it's Korean or the tire themselves....no reviews whatsoever! They only come in one size 205/60/16 which is exactly what I'm looking for and made specifically for an EV,so it has to have really low lrr,in theory.

5. Chris_D

Chris_D Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh and I'm at work,drive for a living,not with my own car but company car,but stepped out and checked on tire label for the manufacturing date,as a test lol and yup! You guys are absolutely correct! Its in a small box says 05/17,now I know what to look for :D
    Thank you guys for that,would've missed it if if wasn't for you and your awesome advice! :)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Chris_D

Chris_D Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Touring
    Found this on Michelin website Canada,do to think it would wise to purchase a set of they were made in 2014 or 2013? According to them they will still honor the warranty....

Attached Files:

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd stick with something still in production.

8. Chris_D

Chris_D Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I know but according to them they still make it...just how "fresh" I have no idea...yet.
    I'm going to get a call Mon or Tues from the shop and I'll go from there....I'll inspect them,but truth be told I'll refuse tires older than 1 year.
    I don't drive a lot (less than 20k km a year) so I'll be wearing them for a few years and my safety (and the others I share the road with) isn't worth the few extra mpg if they do fail on me because of the age....warranty can kiss my tushy lol

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    What ever happened to F8L?

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did he get a Volt? (n)

11. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, but I don't see him on the Volt Forums either.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Chris_D

Chris_D Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Touring
    Mendel,you are right,like you've been before and very very helpful!
    As a fellow Canadian thank you for your wisdom and sharing it with me,but that goes to all you MPG eco warriors on this awesome site :D
    The EnergySaver was in fact labeled 1115,11th week of 2015,so I declined them,politely of course :)
    I'll go with Toyo Celsius instead (an all weather NOT all season tire,have the snowflake symbol on them for year round use,summer and winter they're supposed to be on par if not better than Nokian GWR3).
    Even tho they're not an lrr tire they do weigh in at 21 lbs per tire in the 205/60/16,my rims more than make up for the weight as they come in at 12.4lbs each.
    I'll post pics as soon as they're installed and mounted.....as a bonus they cost me only $640 CAD all in,mounting,balancing and taxes....a lot cheaper than the $840 quoted for the Energy Saver (summer only) tire.
    Saving $200 and keeping them year round with no need (hopefully the reviews are true and they handle as well in the winter) to buy and extra set of winters....keeps my wallet nice and thick :D
    I'll post my opinions after and see if there is any increase/decline in mpg,noise,comfort,driveability etc; currently doing 3.7-4.1 L/100km with 225/50/17 Entergy Saver A/S on stock rims which weigh in a combined 47lbs.
    Again,thank you all for your help,I owe you a beer when I pass thru Vancouver :) !

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Chris_D

Chris_D Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Touring
    Am I gonna get banned if I post a Honda Accord Hybrid pic on a prius chat?
    Well...only one way to find out!
    Thanks for your advice and here's my new set up on the new rims and tires :)
    Oh they're 2017 production so I'm good with that :) 20170901_194340.jpg 20170901_131618.jpg 20170901_194340.jpg 20170901_131607.jpg 20170901_194412_HDR.jpg 20170901_131703_HDR.jpg

Danny3xd () and RMB like this.
  14. kb24sd

kb24sd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Need help deciding on which tires to get for my 2015 Prius II.

Right now I have some pretty worn down set of Bridgestone Ecopia 422 Plus. They've been alright but seem to be a little noisy. I got them in August of last year and was doing Uber & Lyft on the side part time. I'd say overall I was able to get 38K miles on them and yes I did take them into discount tire co every 10K miles for the tire rotation service.

I've been shopping around and Discount was offering $386 if I went with the Ecopia 422 Plus again. Other option I was looking at was the Continental Pure Contact for $432 with $70 mail in rebate.

Right now I do commute 74 miles per day for work and I am an aggressive driver.

15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Where do you live, snowy place?

16. kb24sd

kb24sd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I live in North County San Diego.

No snow at all.

17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Then you do not have to worry about that things like 422 are usually rated less good in snow. I have the True Contact from TireRack, but in your case I think I'd be looking for longer tread life tires.

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  19. kb24sd

kb24sd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I ended up up going with the Continental pure contacts for a couple reasons.From Discount tire Co.

It turns out the Bridgestone Ecopia 422 Plus set I got in August 2016 had a 70K mileage warranty. Employee at the store checked in their system and it turned out I actually had put 41K miles on them which gave me a $147.36 credit to use on my next set of tires I bought from them.I came close to sticking with the Ecopia 422 and it was about $40 price difference from the Continental pure contacts.

Final price out the door for the Continental pure contacts was $319.76.

I took pictures and uploaded my worn down Ecopia 422 plus set of tires.

And last pic is my next repair I need to get done. Which is the fender liner on the front left wheel.

Attached Files:

wjtracy likes this.
  20. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Tire pressure? 42 PSI is the ultimate answer to everything in the universe.
    At 24K I have zero tire wear on my 422 plus. But those are MIJs.