Low Rolling Resistance replacement tires: Current List

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    After an hour of searching on PC to figure out if tires w/the dimensions of 175/65/15 is compatible for 15" Gen 3, I may have found my answer. But just to double check, will 175 width be fine on the 15" stock wheels? On many tire websites, after narrowing down tires to prius gen 3s, there's no 175 listed or recommended probably due to grip. My drives are country drives and drive like my avatar picture.

Has anyone put in 175 width tires on theirs?

2. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Is this to save a buck-and-a-half on gas per tank?
    Or maybe $50 on the tire set?

While having less braking and cornering capabilities?

Geez, and I thought I was cheap......:rolleyes:

I wonder what the insurance company would think if you get in a collision? (We don't call them accidents anymore...)(n)

3. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    No offense but tire installers are MUCH more concerned about oversized tires than undersized

Being one size small may require a higher pressure in the tire but braking and snow performance may actually improve, less likely to hydroplane and handling wise there are too many variables to comment intelligently.

I ran a size smaller on my Cobalt because it saved over $100 on the treads,
    revs per mile was around 1% different, now 80,000 miles later would do it again if the economics worked but generally I find smaller tires are normally not on “sale”
    I would do it on a case by case basis, solely on the cost of the tire, economy was not significantly impacted either way.

4. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi....just got 4 new quality tires ..CHEAP. so thought I'd share. First I went to 'consumer reports'. A library near me has an online subscription. Looked at tire ratings. ONE tire jumped out. It was rated with quality tires in the $100-$150/ per tire range ...yet only cost $50 . The "Atlas Force" made in Thailand. I ordered it through walmart online- they deliver to nearest walmart with an automotive dept.....you go when they are in, and pay $16 per tire to have them installed, balanced, etc. To top it off, tires were an sale for $44 each. So....I got curious and checked out a Toyota dealership. Their cheapest tire installed was $456 for all 4. I paid $240 for all 4 installed and received an arguably better quality tire (accdng to consumer reports) I saved $216. Tire is "Atlas Force" HP 185/65 R15 88H (I have a 2004 Prius)

5. Tekken

Tekken Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Queston for those used OEM tire vs LLR tires. Are they really increase approx 5-10% of your based MPG?

My 2013 Prius came with 2 Ecopia EP422 on the rare and Lionhard tiress on front. I was getting 52mpg Max full tank. I swapped those 2 Ecopia to the front getting 51mpg Max on full tank of gas.. That 2 Ecopia make alot noise due to tread wear out.

Those 2 Lionhard still have good tread 40 psi w/costco nitrogen ( getting 52mpg)
    2 Ecopia have bad tread (51mpg) 40 psi w/costco nitrogen

In-order to increase approx 5-10% of my current mpg, A set of 4 LLR tires need or can be 2 LLR tires in the front?

#1465 Tekken, Sep 7, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Too many variables to predict what mpg you will get LLR or not. Usually, any new set of tires will give you less mpg in beginning. Your mileage may vary.

And if you are replacing only two tires, it is recommended to be installed on the rear. However, with somewhat worn-out older tires on the front, you will not be able to rotate the tire to even out the treads, needing to purchase two new tires again in future when front tires are worn out.

7. Yea Right

Yea Right Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just replaced my stock EP20's with EP422+
    In was running at 40psi, but the new ones are at 35psi. Seen fine for now and instill need to run them for a few weeks before comparing MPG

8. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I saw a gen4 prius with 17s. Checked the tires and it had Pantera Sports A/S 215/45R17. Google search and found their website.
    Sport A/S – Pantera Tire
    Their website claims LRR. It has rim protector but barely sit flush with the rim, unlike the Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02 which sticks out a good 1/4 inch. Has anyone gotten them can comment?
    It's available at Wal-Mart for $51.14 but out of stock.

#1468 cproaudio, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Ajrob671 likes this.