Low Rolling Resistance replacement tires: Current List

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Apr 17, 2011.

1. lunacyworks

lunacyworks Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well somewhat, I made several changes at once so can't claim the tires being the main item. I was getting 35mph beforehand but also ended up replacing the inverter, cooling pump, a wheel bearing and some other items. It went up to 45mph shortly thereafter, but then back to 40mpg. This was due to my car getting hit and it breaking a battery terminal in the HV which caused 2 cells to fail. I rebuilt the pack after that and it went back up to 44mpg on average.

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why did you replace the inverter? Or did you mean the inverter coolant pump?
    It's "best" to replace wheel bearings in pairs. But if it was because of damage from
    the accident, never mind. :)
    what kind of accident was it that it damaged the HV battery terminal???

3. sjr14221

sjr14221 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I didn't know that was frowned upon - I just started a new tire post with a specific question that I didn't see answered using the search function. Perhaps that was my mistake as I've gotten little response...

4. lunacyworks

lunacyworks Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The inverter was replaced because a friend tried to jump-start a car using my Prius and ended up blowing the fusible link assembly. My friend trying to fix it ordered me a new inverter, not knowing the link assembly was blown. Anyway while replacing the link assembly I replaced the inverter since I had it on hand.

The coolant pump was later replaced (3 years later) when a certain older individual (having new eyesight problems) backed into my car at slow speeds several times. I should have figured this out sooner, but it occurred over several days. Each day they push my car out of the way harder which resulted in the pin holding their hitch on poking a hole in my radiator. . After that, I decided to redo all the items as I didn't know what was damaged.

It turns out the front bumper is quite yielding under slow speed (they were turning and backing out at the same time and my car was in their 'new extended' blind spot). I wondered several times when in the morning my car was 2'ft back from where I originally parked it. While there was no frame damage, apparently at certain angles it induces a twisting motion in the HV battery pack, which caused the breaking of 1 terminal on battery #13. This could have been cause the battery pack was already hot and they hit me at low speed (1 or 2 mph) on the corner of my back bumper. If hot and charged there is lots of internal pressure as the cells try to swell some with elevated temperatures and charge status.

#1484 lunacyworks, Oct 10, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    ASRDogman likes this.
  5. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like you need a different parking spot! :eek:

Mendel Leisk likes this.