1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low Rolling Resistance replacement tyres (Europe)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Britprius, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yep, I know it's W-rated... the other V & H rated Kinergy's are out of stock for the moment...

2. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    H
    I noticed you are using Hankooks Ventus Prime 2 K115 R17 91 W XL (I'm thinking to get these in R16)could you describe how changed the comfort of the driving once with XL tyres? Did you experience a bit harder feeling or something like that while driving on bad roads? Because im doing mileage I worry if XL tyres can be bit harder on the side wall and therefore if this affects comfort etc? many thanks

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The OP in question is using 17 inch rims and 45 aspect ratio as you quote but these side walls will be much stiffer than 55 section with 16 inch rims, making comparisons vague.

John (Britprius)

4. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The tyres I finally decided to purchase were Hankook Kinergy, I went with V-rated model.
    The side walls could be stiffer, so far no complaints. These are quite tyres, quieter than turanza's (in my opinion).

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    These are the tyres I fitted and the very first thing I noticed was how quiet they were. I am now at 25,000 miles on the Hankooks and fully expect them to go to 45,ooo if not 50,000 miles at the present rate of ware. My fuel consumption over the life of the tyres so far is at 64 mpg but expect this to improve by another mile or so as the tyres ware and roll even more easily. TP = 40F/38R (PSI)

John (Britprius)

6. andrejsvk

andrejsvk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thank you for bringing these tyres to my attention. Having looked closely at the specifications I have come up with the following, and the information will be updated in my lists.

The NanoEnergy 1 tyre only comes in one size 195/65 /15 rated A for economy and B for wet grip, noise 68db. Very good figures "ware life unknown". This will not fit the European gen2 but is fine for gen3 with 15 inch wheels.

The NanoEnergy 2 tyre comes in all sizes relevant to the Prius family and again gets an A for economy but looses out slightly on wet grip at C rating and is noise level is up to 70db these ratings are for all sizes.

The rest of the tyres listed Nano 3 and Proxes rate poorly in most departments.

Thanks again for the pointer and hope this extra information is of help.

John (Britprius)

8. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi lads, new to the forum and Prius ownership. Bought an 08 gen 2 last week from Arnold Clark in Scotland and brought it back here to Dublin.

It just passed the MOT recently, but tyres on the rear are almost bald. The front tyres are some special Chinese brand. I'm just going to replace with two decent tyres for the moment in the OE size of 195/55/16 until I get 4 winters in November.

As you are all aware, I'm a bit limited with the 195 and have narrowed down my choice to
    Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance or Dunlop Sport Blu Response, both the same price at €111.00 fitted.

Anyone any experience of either?

I know that I have more choice in the 205, but as I'm only changing 2 now and won't be buying another 2 summer tyres until next April or May I'm going to sick with the 195s for now.

I has Michelin Energy savers on my Mk5 Golf (just sold) and was quite happy with them, but they don't seem to rate as well in 195s.

Great site by the way, loads of great info from what I can see

9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Tony I strongly advise you to change sizes and go to 205/55/16. You will find this size so much better in all respects including cost. If you look at the lists of tyres on page one, post 19 you will see all the suitable tyres listed. If cost is an issue have a close look at the Hankook tyres you should be able to pick these up fitted for around the equivalent of £65 each. I run these tyres myself and they are fantastic value.
    If you wish to know more let me know.

John (Britprius)

10. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I know this link will be of no use to you buying the tyres but it'll give you a good idea of the economy ratings.

/ R Tyres Search Results – Low Tyre Prices | Blackcircles.com

The Good Year Efficient Grip seems a good balance grip and economy. And yes, the eco tyres do make a difference in economy and will pay for themselves in fuel saved.

11. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Tony to give you an idea of saving on the 205's against the 195's using GC suggestion above.
    The 195/55/16 Goodyears from Black circles fitted are £98.58
    The 205/55/16Goodyears from Black circles fitted are £73.49
    A saving of £25.09 per tyre or £100.36 on a set of four.
    I expect you to be able to beat those prices however locally. The down side is that you must fit four tyres, although some have fitted only two without reporting problems. The upside is that you can buy 4 tyres for less than the price of three by changing size.
    The Hankooks are £69.70 fitted or £56.50 delivered.
    If you prefer to stick with Michelin
    £85.67 fitted or £72.47 delivered.

John (Britprius)

12. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cheers lads, I was doing the maths earlier myself and came up with similar thoughts on the 205s. I generally look at Eiretyres or Camskill for prices and then go to a local supplier here in Dublin who always matches and beats the online prices including fitting. I'll give him shout in the morning and see what he can do for me.

Michelin were doing €10 per tyre in fuel vouchers too which is always a help

13. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Make sure the tyres you buy have at least a B rating for economy and B for wet grip, noise level preferably at or below 70db. Good luck with your new purchase.

John (Britprius)

14. andrejsvk

andrejsvk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Hi Tony,

I am not sure about the size for prius but I have bought 205/55 R16 Dunlop Sport Blu Response for my diesel Auris and I can tell you I never had better tires on it. The fuel consumption dropped by almost 5% and the grip on the wet is almost excellent. I was little bit worried about how fast they would wear but now as they have 30 000 km I can tell it is just normal (I have them pressured to 3atm). I strongly recomend you get these (and I would probably get all 4 instead of the chinese stuff).

hope this helps

Andrej

15. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks again lads. I went for the Dunlop Sport Blu Response in 205/55/16s at €89 each fitted.

It is rated B for rolling resistance, A for wet grip and 68db, so seems to be a good tyre.

Can't go wrong with that

16. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Please keep us updated on how these tyres perform (all aspects) as this way we can build our knowledge and data base. Thanks.
    John (Britprius)

17. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please don't question my credibility, but I went for the Goodyears! I spent so much time discussing both with my tyre guy, that I typed the wrong brand name above! All the details are the same though re rolling resistance etc!

Im just back from a 100+ mile trip and they are very very quiet on the motorway, much quieter than what they binned.

As the miles rack up I'll pop back in with updates.

18. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It will take a little while for the tyres to bed in "get the best mpg", also with this size of tyre you will find the MFD display of mpg to be fairly accurate. With the OEM tyres the the display was rather optimistic.
    The OEM tyres and the cheap Chineese tyres are noisy and the tyres you have chosen are some of the quietest. Makes a big difference.

John (Britprius)

19. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How much air are you guys running in the 205s? Ive 38 in them now. When I drove other cars I would never have more than 32/33

20. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I run 38f/36r psi but if I am carrying a load or going on a long motorway run I use 40f/38r psi. At these pressures the tyres ware evenly across the tread and ride comfort is not penalized. Lowering pressures wares the tread out on the edges particularly on the front.

John (Britprius)

Tony D likes this.