1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low Rolling Resistance replacement tyres (Europe)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Britprius, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 40psi in every tire. Feels ok. Not so spongy as 32psi but I tell myself that it's been better for my fuel economy.

This account has not been activated, click this link to activate the account.

2. andrejsvk

andrejsvk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I am doing at least 40 front, sometimes up to 44 and rear usualy 2psi less as I never have anybody sitting in the back.

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I find similar on the 195's. I run mine 1 or 2 psi over what Toyota suggest and find that helps stop wear on the edges. Softer pressure as recommended also makes the steering vague. I wonder if that is why many journalists report the Prius being vague?

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good news for gen2 Prus owners. The Bridgestone Ecopia 001S is now available in 205/55/16 size. This tyre should be ideal for the gen2 Prius rated (A) for economy, and (A) for wet grip with a reasonable noise level of 70db. This is the only double A rated tyre that fits the gen2 Prius.

John (Britprius)

Skateruk likes this.
  5. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After just 11.500 km with the Ecopia EP001S, I can say that these tyres probably won't see 30k km mark. I just changed them for winter tyres and the tyre guy was showing me in what condition the front tyres are and asking me if I will still ride them next year? They are still holding great in the wet, so I will probably run then down to the legal mark.

The original OEM Bridgestone lasted me a little over 30k km. I'm no race driver, but I do have a lot of corners on a daily commute, the average consumption was pretty good at 4.33 l/100 km. I don't think it's the alignment, because they are very even worn out.

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the information. This really helps others when making tyre decisions. Great pity if this is the case with these tyres though. At 30,000 km that would only be a little over 18,000 miles.
    Can you tell us what pressures you are running at, and do you rotate them at all. I find that the fronts ware steadily while the backs do not seem to ware measurably in the same distance. The Ecopia 001s is now available in 205/55/16 and this is a good size to use on the gen2 Prius. That said unless the fuel saving is enough to warrant the extra cost, and lower millage expectation I will stay with the Hankook Eco Kinergy tyres I am presently running. These look good for at leased 45,000 miles (over 72,000 km) not bad for a so called budget tyre with RR rating B, and wet grip B.

John (Britprius)

7. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's too short life for a tyre...even with corners. How is the tarmac over there?!
    My front set of Bridgestone ER300 are getting worn (under 2.5mm) and need replacement soon, but scored almost 60000km (not rotated!).

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I agree , but it is difficult to give an accurate assessment on the basis of projected ware life on one set of tyres. The Bridgestone er300 OEM tyres are not LRR tyres rated E for RR and C for wet grip or F/B rated depending on speed and load rating. They are also noisy at 72db and get even more noisy with use. The level of 72 db will be above the legal maximum for new tyres in 2014 within the EU, 70 7b being the new maximum. Priced in the UK at £90 each are at the top end of the price range. Your millage on these is not to bad however at around 38,000 mlies.
    The Hankook 205/55/16 in my opinion a better tyre in every respect is £55. I am trying hard to find a better tyre at a reasonable Price, but as yet cannot justify a price difference of between £35 to £40.

John (Britprius)

9. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I run them around 2.7 bar, a little less in the back.
    I rotate them every time I change winter/summer tires, usually every 10k km.

Could wheel dis-alignment result in nice even tire wear in the front?

All I can say is that they wear out faster (or comparable) to Bridgestone OEM tires on Gen III. The grip was still very good although I have a feeling that cornering grip is much better than stopping grip.

10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    From you description everything sounds fine. The most common symptom of out of alignment is ware on one edge of the tyres. Please keep us informed.

John (Britprius)

11. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's very low mileage to get out of a set. I got more out of performance tyres on my Bora V6 4motion and they are known to be hard on tyres.

I got Goodyears Recenty, 205s as per Johns recommendation, but took them off a few weeks ago to fit my set of Winters. I won't know til next year what they are like mileage wise

12. Skateruk

Skateruk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You've got a few cars there Tony!

13. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just the Prius and CRV in daily use, the Mini is a very long term project and will hopefully get the XJ back on the road next Summer

14. Mark78

Mark78 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What about the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance. They are available in 215/45 size...how do they compare with the Hankook Ventis Prime 2?

15. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  16. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The best Goodyear I can find in the 215/45 size is rated E for economy and A for wet grip at £93.50. The best Hankook in the same size is rated B for economy and B for wet grip at £76.50.
    This makes the Hankook not only a better tyre for fuel economy, "the fuel savings over the Goodyear should pay for the tyres" they are also near 25% cheaper. The wet grip of the Hankook is marginally down on the Goodyears, but still very good compared with most other tyres.
    Hankook tyres a few years ago were not good for tread life, "putting it mildly" but have improved dramatically in recent years, and are now fitted by many manufacturers as OEM. The Hankook's I have fitted look good for at leased 45,000 miles making them excellent value tyres at £55 each.

John (Britprius).

17. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Hankooks at that price are impossible to ignore.

When my winters are coming off in March / April I will be fitting the Goodyear efficient grip performance, as they are about €100 supplied and fitted in a 205/55/16

18. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I will be very interested in the results of the Goodyear EGP tyres at only £4 per tyre more than the Hankook's and having B A ratings and less noise. So please keep us updated. If the ware rate compares well with the Hankooks they are another excellent choice of tyre in the 205/55/16 size.
    The Bridgesone Ecopia 001s although very good on paper rated A A are expensive at £86 and are more noisy than the Goodyears. The other big downside "although on a sample of one set at the moment" is the rapid ware rate reported, expected to be only 18,000 miles.
    Prices quoted are supply only.

John (Britprius)

19. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I rang my tyre guy last week and he told me to steer clear of the 001s due to dreadful wear, as you said people getting less than 20k.

He recommended the Goodyears and said that he has had really good feedback from customers.

I bought my Gen 2 in Sept and it had 4 crap tyres so I bought 2 Goodyear EGPs and only had them on a few weeks before I swapped all 4 for the Goodyear Ultragrip 8 winter tyres. I've been averaging 50 (uk) mpg on the Ultragrip 8s, which I am quite happy with as try are not LRR tyres.

I am expecting good things from the EGPs, both in terns of noise and improvement in mpg

20. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for Tony the conformation on the Bridgestones 001s as this all adds to our pool of knowledge.
    Are the Ultragrips you are using 195's or 205's?

John (Britprius)