1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low Rolling Resistance Tires for c

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Mar 9, 2012.

1. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have no problem with a good performance tire, but we're talking Prius/Prii here, so not sure what performance gains would be attained for most drivers of this car using a premium performance tire, other than better control in high speed maneuvers and some shortening of stopping distances. Prius is not a track car, so as long as the tire measures up with good UTQG numbers and letters, the tire should work out as intended. In normal driving, a good quality LRR tire will do the job just fine.

If you want to amp up the performance of a Prius and make it more roadable then it would make sense to go with a tire that has a stiffer sidewall and grippier rubber compound. The downsides of this type of tire... a rougher ride and generally a less durable tread surface. The other difference of course is the sometimes substantial MPG losses.

There are some crummy tires out there and I can point to the OEMs that came on our first Prius as a good example. Goodyear Integrity... soft sidewall, scary poor wet performance above 40 mph. I took those tires off as soon as it became possible.

It's very strange to me that with all the good small economy cars available now, that LRRs tires remain so scarce in Prius c sizes. Even a non hybrid car would see MPG benefits using them.

2. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

I believe you will find that the rim width of the alloys are wider on alloys than the steel wheels (memory says 6 inch vs 5.5 inches). That will offer added choices for tires because of specs on tires regarding acceptable rim widths.
    Also for better mpg choose tires of lesser weights; it takes more energy - and mpg - to turn heavy tires faster than it does lighter tires.
    Having heard 3% improvement - less rolling resistance - in rolling resistance consider saving more than 3% in weight probably is likelymore valuable.
    Please note that low rolling resistance tires have lower cornering characteristics so you should drive less aggresively regardless of how you drive now. we see reductions from 0.8 to 0.7 for 175/65x15 OEM level tires.
    As for tire life check the UTOG rating; we always found that the high mileage tires with UTOG higher they yielded better mpg's. Choosing a tire with 600 sores or more should do well in mpg's. but they too offer much less cornering and braking performance.

3. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

4. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two