1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low Rolling Resistance Tires

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Ronald Doles, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Ronald Doles

Ronald Doles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It is hard to find actual testing of tires for rolling resistance. I discovered greenseal.org which is a non-profit that tests and rates a number of different products and not just tires. This chart is of recommended low rolling resistance tires and their ratings. A lower RRC (rolling resistance coefficient) means more energy savings and better mileage. Every tire is a compromise of traction vs rolling resistance vs treadlife so all three parameters are listed for the tested tires in the chart.

Note: The chart is a few years old and tire models change pretty quickly so some of the tire models may not be available and/or the prices may not be correct in today's market but at least you will have a general idea.
    upload_2019-6-21_8-0-55.png

Ajrob671, Robert Holt, Skibob and 2 others like this.
  2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting. I wonder why some of obvious Low RR tires like Ecopia, Energy Saver, True Contact, and Avid Ascend are missing from the list. They have been around for a long time.

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    2003 does feel a bit outdated.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    lol... If you're looking for a new cell phone, it makes perfect sense to see what the reviews say about the latest in cell phone technology in 2003 right? Maybe it's the same for tires...

But more to the point Ecopia and Michelin LRR tires are the highest rated for more than a 1/2 dozen years. Ecopia is a way better price for slightly less mpg.

5. Ronald Doles

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I did a lot of searching for a more recent chart but the tire manufacturers are not interested in posting these values. This chart was the only one that I could find that lists the range of coefficients for low rolling resistance tires. Yes it is from 2003 but it does give you a ballpark number for those coefficients.

I created an Excel spreadsheet for calculating required horsepower and then mileage based on speed a number of parameters like weight, coefficient of drag (CD), vehicle frontal area, speed etc. Tire rolling resistance coefficient (RRC) was among them. If you are interested in trying the spreadsheet and want to enter the parameters for your Prius, they are listed on the Vehicles tab. I know mileage may vary even between two identical vehicles but the spreadsheet allows you to play with some numbers and gives you an idea of the kind of mileage you might expect at different speeds.

Attached Files:

#5 Ronald Doles, Jun 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    Robert Holt and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Robert Holt likes this.
  7. Ronald Doles

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yea, I noticed that... I tried doing an image search for a chart but didn't search long enough using that method. But keep searching and tweaking keywords and modifying search tool and you'll get there.

9. Mac Guru

Mac Guru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Because I couldn't find all this info in one place online.. I just spent a few hours making this comprehensive but manageable guide:

Vehicle tire numbers, letters and their meanings:

Vehicle Type:

P = Passenger cars, light trucks, SUVs, and vans.

LT = Light trucks (for heavier loads or to pull trailers)

ST = Special Trailer (for trailers as the name implies)

T = Temporary (donut spare smaller type.. sprinkles please)

Construction Type:

R = Radial (1950s and 1960s worldwide, & in the USA in the 70’s)

D = Diagonal also known as “Bias” ply tire (older type)

B = Belted-Bias ply tire (see * below for more)

Load index:

70 / 75 / 80 / 85 / 90 = + -750 / 850 / 1000 / 1135 / 1325 lbs respectively

Speed rating:

Q,R,S,T,U,H,V = 100 - 149mph (in approximately 6mph increments)

Tread depth:

New tires typically start with a tread depth of 10/32" to 12/32", with some off-road tires topping 15/32"

Rolling Resistance:

RR seems to be both directly proportional to traction.. and inversely proportional to better gas mileage, as well as longevity or tread-wear longevity. Lower means better gas milage, higher means more performance in general. **

UTQG:

UTQG or UNIFORM TIRE QUALITY GRADE is a series of (3) tire metrics as listed below:

Tread-wear:

800 = 8 times longer wear than the index baseline standard of 100

Traction:

C to B to AA (for worst to best stopping on wet surfaces)

Temperature: (resistance to heat generation for a half-hour run)

C = at 115mph

B = between 100 and 114mph

A = below 100 or minimum performance.

Weight:

For the example P185/65/15 Radial tire size above, it seems 17 to 22 lbs seems to be a normal range found. And because every pound of rotating weight can equal two pounds of stationary weight, this is a specification of at least passing consideration, in my opinion.

Footnotes:

*Radial tires result in lower fuel consumption and have longer tread life. They have a larger contact patch or footprint on the road, providing better traction and handling. Radial tires cost more than comparable bias-ply tires, but the extended tire life and fuel savings makes using radials the more cost-effective choice.

Classic car owners and trailers where performance may be overruled by other considerations such as original feel and where performance or fuel efficiency may not matter as much.

** For the user, the choice is between a lower RR for saving up to about 30% in gasoline costs, and tire longevity..

and and a higher RR for better performance. (Basically, get a low RR if you drive a lot on the highway, as opposed to winding roads. With some brief advantages in material innovations which could offer both over other tires for a period.)

*** About UTQG:

Each tire is subjected to a series of government-mandated tests for performance. These grades are assigned by each tire maker to its own products. But because of variations in testing procedures, they should not be understood to be absolutely exact between different company brands of tires. Still, it’s likely that they are close enough for most comparisons. This may be where companies like consumer reports, if their testing is done well.. can help to verify real world results.

Merkey likes this.