1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low rolling resistance wheel bearings

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Dec 11, 2015.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Not yet official, I started to hear a growl that could be a wheel bearing. But recently, I learned about low-rolling resistance, wheel bearings in performance (i.e., race) cars. Would anyone know off hand the wheel bearing specifications for:
    • 2003 Prius
    • 2010 Prius
    Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

2. arescec

arescec Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    There is a similar discussion about low rolling resistance bearings in bicycle wheels. They cost multiple times the normal bearings and get you about 1W less mechanical resistance. Meaning they are not worth it, and on cars even less.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The originals are dual-row, angular contact ball, integrated hub bearing designs. I think in my Gen 1 front bearing thread you might be able to read the Koyo number from the photo, if you wanted to look up more.

-Chap

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The right answer would be to order the replacement bearings and send them to the supplier with a note,"This is what I need to replace."

Bob Wilson