1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low-Speed Front Collision DIY Repair?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by varontron, Dec 17, 2011.

1. varontron

varontron Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

My 2006 Prius rear-ended an SUV. I was not in the car, and thus can't absolutely verify the speed. The car was able to drive home 2 or 3 mi. After sitting 2 weeks, it started up immediately to drive into the driveway for repair.

I've removed the hood, fenders, bumper, splashguard, upper rad support, lights, etc. I'll need to remove and likely replace the radiator as well.

The R-side upper crossmember is in bad shape. Assuming there are no mechanical issues, what are the risks/rewards of trying to cold-straighten this (and other bent parts) vs replacing them?

I have an entry-level wirefeed welder, but also a friend with a MIG and a torch, who knows how to use them.

Is this part and others like it even attainable? Will it be necessary to strip everything off and take it into a shop to have these skeletal components repaired?

Any insight you can provide will be most helpful.

Thanks!
    Dave