1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low use impact on Prius traction battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by snoctor, Apr 18, 2013.

1. snoctor

snoctor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've got a 2010 Prius that my wife and I use as our main car, about 15,000 miles per year. We commute together. A Corolla serves as our backup vehicle, probably 1 or 2,000 miles per year. I'm considering getting an EV to use as our main commute car, and then use the Prius as a backup. What impact could that have on the function / lifespan of traction battery if I'm not using it very frequently?
    Thanks for any feedback!

2. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I would advise you to use the Prius one day a week for your commute. The 12 volt battery would not last long if you only drive 1 to 2,000 miles a year. It's less clear on the traction battery - most people feel the HV battery lasts longer if used daily.

hlunde likes this.
  3. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I put 1200 miles on my car last season. With the continuing snow and salted roads in Minnesota, I only expect to drive it 4 months this coming season. I have my homebrew battery maintainer on my 14v battery so that will not sulfate. It'll be interesting too see how the HV battery charge level stayed since last driving the car last fall. I might have to build a HV battery maintainer if the cells have any significant self discharge rate. Guessing it will be June before I can take her out of storage.

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

4. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 12V battery would suffer unless you installed an AGM battery friendly battery charger/ maintainer/ desulfator to keep it fully charged and the battery plates free of sulfation. I believe that someone on this site posted that the Prius "always on" electronics draw about a constant 39 mA, so will discharge the 12V battery below sulfation safe level in about a week. I have such a maintainer installed at the 12V battery, a BatteryMINDer.
    I suspect that non use will not damage the traction battery as long as a normal state of charge exists. Due to health problems and a tough winter, my 2010 Prius has not been run for over 3 months, the traction battery still indicates near full charge.

I have Ni Cad batteries that are little used, still in good condition and 30+ years old.

BatteryMINDer Charger/Maintainer/Desulfator System — Model# 1500 | Battery Maintainers| Northern Tool + Equipment

WE0H likes this.