1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lower mpg after 20,000 mile service / oil change

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by BobCh, Jun 6, 2013.

1. BobCh

BobCh New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Just had my 20,000 mile service yesterday on my Prius Plug In and got 10-15mpg loss in gas mileage today. It seems like ECO mode isn't even working anymore because MPG just drops to 15 MPG when you accelerate pass the half way point.

I'll take it back to dealership tomorrow but anybody had this problem? It should have only been a oil change and oil filter change. Reading some old threads makes me thing they put in the wrong oil?? It says 0W20 on service contract but not sure if correct. Hopefully somebody can share a similar experience.

Thanks.
    BobC

2. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Checked your tire pressure?

3. BobCh

BobCh New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I checked and is correct. Dealership also checked based on report.

Something just got messed up from 20,000 mile service b/c when you switch from ev to eco (halfway on the power meter), it drops to 15pmg. Should be around 50mpg.

Thanks.
    BobC

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that doesn't sound right. why should it be 50 when the ice kicks on and you're accellerating? i think you're being paranoid because you know the monkeys at the dealership may not be trustworthy. you're probably fine though. reset your trip and give her a few hundred miles.;)

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Measurement based on random starting & stopping is makes it extremely difficult to gauge.

Watch the MPG resulting from a steady cruise. That's good confirmation all is well.

F8L likes this.
  6. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Check your oil level. They are notorious for overfilling Prii. If it is overfilled, it will cause a lot of problems, including reduced MPG.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  7. BobCh

BobCh New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I did check oil level and was like 2-3" above max level. Sounds like technician who changed oil probably forgot to drain it! Once oil level was brought back to normal, car seems to be behaving correctly again. Shouldn't have to check your oil level from doing a oil change with the dealership!!

BTW, wife also so some smoke after dealership visit so excess oil was finding a way out. First clue.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  9. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The guy must of fell a sleep while he was filling it. Holly crap batman 2-3 inches, it should of run out the dipstick when u pulled it out. :(

10. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    . Good call !

11. Edsvfr800

Edsvfr800 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sorry to say this...but that probably did some damage to your engine. I would demand they check your engine, possibly contact a lawyer if they give you any trouble and Mabey have another service place check for damage...do it quick, don't wait to long.

12. Bonefish Blues

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    That was my thought, too - that's a massive overfill, isn't it.

13. Edsvfr800

Edsvfr800 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes....you at least have some gasket damage. You may not notice any damage now, but in the future, for sure some oil leakage and engine trouble.

14. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Mind sharing which dealer this is? We're not asking you to bash the dealer, we just want to make sure other people going there are aware of this issue and check their oil levels after service at that dealer. This is something that shouldn't be happening.

15. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Over filling the oil will cause the crankshaft to froth up the oil which means all kinds of tiny bubbles running past things that normally have bubble-less oil flowing over. Bubbles mean way less lubricating :( Cam lobes take a very serious beating that way. Doubt you'll get a new motor out of this but your motor has been compromized because of some idiot mechanic. Hope it had a good synthetic oil in it at least and it wasn't run for long. The motor will handle a bit of abuse like this but not the best thing to do to any motor.

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is why I change my own oil. I think the first few oil changes are free for PiP. I may go in to do it but I will definately check the dipstick before leaving the dealership.

WE0H likes this.
  17. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I can't imagine any Plug-in certified dealer (meaning a dealer which invests in its people to become better techs etc) would have similar issues. I'm hoping he went to a smaller Toyota dealer in some rural area, and not a dealer with a good reputation, because I can't figure out what else could explain this kind of stupidity and recklessness.

WE0H likes this.