1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lower or Replace Drivers seat...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by mle70, Dec 31, 2012.

1. mle70

mle70 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have search and scoured, I can not find anyone either offering an option to lower the seat or if there is a different option for seat all together. I've called dealerships and they were non responsive at best. I just really want to lower the seat about 2-3 inches so i'm not riding so damn high... any options or video walk throughs or at least a success story?

Attached Files:

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think user "problemchild" replaced his seats with Volvo S80 seats. Same width, but longer and 5 way adjustable or something like that.

Other options are buy some aftermarket seats like Recaro. Just remember that if your brand new seats are less expensive then reasonable seat covers, they probably will not perform the same as the OEM seats in a crash. The seats from Toyota are designed for safety. And speaking of safety you more than likely have side airbags in your seats. The passenger one also has an occupancy sensor. So if you are taking out the seats remember that. Your seat is lined with explosives so know how to fully disconnect power and treat them carefully before just yanking them out.

I also hear of people (for any car) will buy an extra foam insert for the car, the Prius' is about $200, then shave it down and replace the one that came in the car. Then you can swap it back out when you are finished with the car and going to trade/sell. You may get an inch or so lower.

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    One other thing to check out is what is actually under the seat. In my UK 2008 Prius with the seat lowered there is very little room between the seat bottom and the JBL amp. In the US version I believe the navigation unit is under the drivers seat.

4. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    someone had a thread about modding their seat using a corolla seat bottom. it did require welding. looked great in the pix.

5. mle70

mle70 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    have a link for this?

6. mle70

mle70 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    well I guess I shouldn't have a problem i don't have JBL or navigation

7. mle70

mle70 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    do you know if any one that has the leather seats for the Prius... are they nicer? more adjustable?

8. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Do a search, i don't remember what the thread was called. it's here in the modification section. he used a corolla base; it looked factory oem.
    the leather seats are exactly the same as the cloth except the covers.
    also there was a thread w/ tutorial about modifying the stock seat so it sat an inch or so lower. don't remember the name of that thread either.

9. mle70

mle70 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i read those too... it seems a bit involved and they arent great instructions.

10. mle70

mle70 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    anyone see any proof that a gen 3 drivers seat will fit without (or little) modification into a gen 2?

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm the one who spent a month building a 'Priolla' seat. Too much work don't bother. A shop quoted me $1700 to install a Recaro, said he had done several of those in 2nd gens.

The safest way to go in buying a new Prius is to get power seat, which mean 2012 and later trim 4 or 5.

Never heard of anyone putting 3rd gen seat into 2nd gen - footprint and connectors totally different. Not sure it would even fit in the car.

12. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you don't care about the side airbag, how about some Bride GIAS Low Maxes?

pri_v_moon likes this.
  13. mle70

mle70 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i appreciate the honesty as far as the 'Priolla' seat. I have looked into it and have pulled the seat out to take pictures and measurements. However I agree with you. I have access to a welder so maybe changing a corolla seat to fit in the prius... I dont know but I can't afford and don't think they are comfortable enough for the cost of Bride GIAS Low Maxes.

14. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Slide the seat all the way back, remove the two bolts from the front, tilt the seat back, insert two or three large washers under the mounting bracket, reinstall the two bolts. It will amazingly inprove the uncomfortable seat! It may not make you sit lower in the seat, but it will be way more comfortable.

15. mle70

mle70 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    well it cant hurt to give it a try.... besides stripping the hole or screw out...again : (

I appreciate the responses.

16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    btw, be careful lifting the front of the seat because the left rear bolt is vertical, so as you lift the front, it may not bend, but puts and 'bending motion' on the seat rail. The right rear mount in horizontal, bolts sideways into the center chassis hump. so you could lift front of seat w/o problems.

btw, how tall are you?

17. mle70

mle70 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm 6'3 but waist tall, and I just find the seat to be embarrassingly terrible. I miss my old Corolla seat, which wasn't amazing but so much better.

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2nd generation 2004 - 09 Prius left hand drive driver's seat is so bad, it has its own ehow page describing how bad it is ...

Problems With a Prius Driver's Seat | eHow.com

"Lack of Seat Adjustments

• A little known interior ergonomic problem has arisen among some Prius drivers. The lack of a height-adjustable driver's seat is one of the items which plagues the U.S. 2002 through 2009 Prius models...."

Taller drivers cannot lower the seat to their respective optimal levels for visibility. And, again, for these drivers, the sloped roof of the Prius will interfere with viewing their surroundings from the front and rear windshields. Also, using the sun visor may block a tall driver's vision, because his head is closer to the ceiling of the car."

Read more: Problems With a Prius Driver's Seat | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5915538_problems-prius-driver_s-seat.html#ixzz2JWKh4y96

--------------------------
    The 2nd generation Prius was 'one can short of a 6-pack' in terms of interior design ...
    a) The rear seats have sort generous legroom, yet the rear headroom is pretty poor
    b) No dr. seat height adjuster, small driver's seat, limited dr. seat travel, no wheel telescope and it's pressed up against the dash all making a tall person's nightmare.

c) SHAME on Consumer Reports for not listing this Prius as 'worst for tall drivers' in their 2008 Auto Guide.
    -----------------------------

The 2008 Corolla was definitely better than 2008 Prius, but 2008 Civic was much better than Corolla.

--------------------------

There are 6'3" drivers who get / got along well in 2nd gen Prius, even some 6'6" apparently, but ...

there was a handful of owners dating back before 2004 who complained bitterly, had Recaro seats put in, welding and seat remounting done, etc, etc.... Worst part is this car remained the same for 6 years until the 3rd Gen finally came along to rescue the situation. 3rd gen could be better, but it is pretty darn good now, especially with power driver's seat. I will be glad when the 2nd gens just kinda fade away like in 8 years or so.

Calirrm likes this.
  19. mle70

mle70 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    wow, great post. I appreciate the info. I got such a great deal on mine and the seat is so terrible I'm thinking I can sell it and make a decent profit and just get a newer 3rd gen.

20. Victorio Mo

Victorio Mo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

I just started a project to put 2007 Camry leather all controls seat into Prius 2007, i have enough space,
    But I will need to readjust /replace legs on the rails, this is related to security so it's very important and will be done professionally. I can keep all posted to progress, please pm me.
    Those legs are fastened/weilded.

Here is what I have to start. Sorry link post won't work for me.

If anybody can help me with wire diagram thta would help, I have 3 wires coming to electric motors, not sure why I need 3rd one, which is red

B