1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lower Rear Window Lines

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tideland Prius, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey,Dan, your knowledge of the Prius astounds me and sharing it is very much appreciated. That goes for all the others who do the same. One question (for now) is what is the noise filter? I did a search but somehow I missed finding it.
    Gary
    Edit: Frank mentions that it filters the noise for the SKS but what is it...an electronic filter? noise from what source? ....probably elementary but just curious. :roll:

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I think the purpose of the noise filters is so that the defogger lines don't radiate noise. There is plenty of noise inherent to the 12V line from sources such as the ECUs, the engine, and the HV motors/inverter. I would imagine the defogger lines would make great transmitting antennas, thus interfering with your radio and everyone else's nearby.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

generally they are feed thru capacitors. They were common in the day's of CB radios to suppress alternator electrical noise. I have actually put 3 on forklifts for a company that uses RF stock control software on their forklifts. Alternator output terminal to capacitor bolted to the bracket and the other end to the wire that nomally hooked to the alternator. Put one on another FL that had an impact sensor shut down system problem but it didn't help that case it turned out to be a sparkplug that was failing.