1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lower Rocker Moldings, chrome

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by prius2x, Jun 13, 2009.

1. duffasaurus

duffasaurus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I installed this product about a month ago and found it fairly easy to do so. The four pieces come with tape already applied and complete instructions!

2. Trieu's_2010_Prius

Trieu's_2010_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just purchased my Prius III with Navigation in Blizzard Pearl with the Lower Rocker Moldings. Here are some pictures of what it would look like.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  3. andino

andino Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Man those look pretty sweet. I may have to order a set haha

4. Trieu's_2010_Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The dealer parts department charged me $175 for the part and $43 for service installation.

5. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Any idea where the poster found these for $123?

6. skm009

skm009 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How difficult is the installation of these? Do we have DIY instructions anywhere?

7. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is one of those cheap mods that is totally worth the money. Makes my black car look much more elegant... except it's really like a chrome-painted piece of plastic.

Installation is piece of cake. Just make sure you clean the surface of the car with some rubbing alcohol, let it dry or even heat it up a little bit with a heat gun (very lightly!). Do the same heating procedure for the double sided tape...

The hardest part is "aligning" the parts so both pieces look even on each side.

Edit: I got mine on eBay for $121 shipped.

pa1555 likes this.
  8. dchev

dchev New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    After you install them, are front and back door parts align evenly?
    My dealer installed them yesterday, and the piece at back door is a little bit higher than the one at front door.
    Please comment on that?!

I am thinking to go and ask them to fix it, but I am not sure how pieces supposed to look like:confused:.

Thanks.

9. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's just poor alignment. Mine do align perfectly.

10. Azimuth

Azimuth Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone have pictures of the LRM on a red prius?

11. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey guys,
    I installed mine myself a little bit ago. I really like the look of them. Here's a long winded and pic heavy review (apologies, i realize its just an aftermarket-albeit-OEM-trim piece, but this is part of my OCD, deal with it kindly).

Ordering/Receiving:
    -I've had nothing but awesome experiences ordering from the PC shop. do not know who's in charge over there (Danny?) but keep it up!

Quality/Finish:
    -These are way higher quality than I thought they'd be. The muted chrome looks great, feels great, and doesn't appear to be a laminated piece of plastic. Rather, it looks like the whole piece is silver plastic, so if it scratches (god-forbid), im confident the surface won't peel or bubble with exposure to the sun.

-The pieces themselves are not flimsy, and generally follow the lines of the car (see pic below), though, not exactly. This makes installation a tad more difficult, as you've gotta fit, check, measure a lot before you finally peel the adhesive and stick it. You can't simply follow the bottom edge of the door, if you want it perfect.

-The "Hybrid" badge looks great and is, as expected, a legitimate Toyota Hybrid logo (the trim itself has "Toyota" stamped on the underside). However, the clear rubbery material the hybrid logo is made from looks like the same sort of bubble-sticker material that seems to ALWAYS yellow, cloud, and eventually crack, with enough exposure to heat and light. I havent found a UV protectant that doesn't pre-maturely yellow or cloud clear plastic, so I guess it is what it is. It's basically the only real negative with this purchase, and it's a small negative.

Installation:
    -Prepped the area by removing the clear-ding-guard-sticker-thing on the back end of the rear doors, a once over with a dishsoap cleansing, a once over with alcohol and water, and a solid wipe down.

-I used my fingers to "feel" the proper distances from door edge to trim edge (approx 1mm), and practiced how I'd stick em on many times before I actually did it. I don't think you get much of a 2nd chance with these and the worst thing would be the cheezy-bling look of non-straight lines or uneven trim. I made sure whatever distances between trim and carpart i did on one side, I duplicated on the other. It went as well as I could have hoped. Peeled off the backing, stuck it, and ran a rag back and forth a few times with as much pressure as I could put behind it.

Observations:
    -They stick out a small amount as any trim might, and while nicely rounded, they don't taper or sit flush as well as i'd wished (mostly noticeable at the front end of the front-door pieces). It's noted in the directions that the trim was not designed to sit flush, but I really wish it did. This is pure nit-picking, however, and not really an issue in a practical sense.

-While driving, they're completely un-noticeable. Zero noise from wind-resistance, and if anyone is concerned about affected MPG, here's a faceplam for you. ::faceplam::

Conclusion:
    -If you have money to burn on pure aesthetics, these are a 100% YES. Hopefully, not too many people do it, as it does set the Prius apart from others in a good way. It's elegant, it's tasteful, its sporty, its all good news. I'm very satisfied.

Pics:
    -First, the ever-so-slightly-imperfect "fit". This is where the rear and front doors meet. Notice how the pieces have sharper right-angle curves than the actual door. Also, the clear rubber logo thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the rest:
    -If anyone's interested in the shark fin antenna or fog lights (all purchased through Priuschat's shop), those are visible here too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

**Pics of the SSR wheel install coming soon, if anyone's interested.**

12. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The molding looks clean. I have seen it on the Audi and Benz.
    Like that exhaust pipe.

13. Trieu's_2010_Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    deltron, your car looks very sharp. Did you get all of your accessories from PC shop? Where did you get your rims from and how much did you paid for those? I like to add more accessories gradually. Did you get your mudguards from PC shop?

14. Craigmri

Craigmri New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You realize you have the same rims on your Prius right?

Craig

15. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Trieu,
    I have a set of new wheels so i could sell you the ones in the photos ;). JK
    Craig's right....pop off them hubcaps, get yourself some $15 centercaps and you're in business!

16. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ps. I got the following from the priuschat shop
    -foglight kit
    -sharkfin antenna
    -lower rocker moldings

the other visible mods are that it's lowered, windows tinted with airblue, and exhaust.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks fantastic!

18. erikl

erikl New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    More pictures of blizzard pearl prius with the lrm's please.... thanks :)

19. Trieu's_2010_Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Deltron,

Have you uploaded the pictures of your SSR wheels? Also, can you point me to where I can buy those $15 centercaps? Thanks.

20. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Does anyone know if there are two colors of these mouldings?

I had ordered these when I purchased my car and at the time they were not in stock and had to be ordered. It's been three weeks since I purchased my car and I was just told that the set that had arrived were not the correct color and that there is a gun metal grey that they ordered instead of the silver.

Everything I've researched tells me that there is only one color for these.

Maybe there is a new color for 2011?