1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lower white porcelain part of the steering wheel

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by I'mJp, Mar 19, 2016.

1. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    My 2016 four has a black interior and exterior.

I could hardly wait for the Lower Console/Shifter Appliqué Package.

Now that I've been driving around like that my eyes keep coming to that part of the steering wheel.

It's gonna have to change.

IMG_0896_2.jpg IMG_0897.jpg

I've purchased some Black High Gloss Realistic Paint-Like Microfinish 17.75in x 60in Vinyl Wrap Roll with VViViD XPO Air Release Technology. It looks like a good match to the other black glossy parts of the interior of my car.

So, I've watched quite a few youtube videos on vinyl installation, did some vinyl wrappings on miscellaneous things lying around in my garage. Things that are flat or have a slight curvature are easy, it goes on like wall paper. Surfaces that are curved require a heat gun.

Problem 1. I'll not be bringing a heat gun to the interior of my car. I don't mind bringing a part from inside my car
    and applying heat elsewhere.

Problem 2. I don't know how the white part is attached to the wheel. I'm not willing to apply pressure until something gives.

I see a few modifications.

1. wrap a small area of the piece. Maybe an inch and 3/8 down, and 4 inch's across. The bottom shape matching the contour of the piece. This has the advantage of "being flat" and probably would not require heat, and I don't need to find out about anything else. Would require a steady hand in cutting.

2. wrap the bottom area and the sloopy area leaving 1/8 white trim on the sides, and 1/4 to 3/8 on the bottom, matching the contour. I think that this will require heat, and thus removal of the piece. It would "go with" the white trim and the rest of the steering wheel. Would require a very steady hand in cutting / and placing, unless I learn how to cut with the "cutting wire method"

3. Wrap the whole damn thing. Would require removal and heat. Would not require precision cutting, as the edges would be wrapped to the other side and not seen.

I'll probably try #1 first and see how it goes.
    #2, and 3 will have to wait until I can figure out how to remove the piece.

Is there a part number and drawing for it?

Has anyone been able to remove it ?

2. Tcat

Tcat New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring

3. Tcat

Tcat New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I'm with you - has to go! Haven't figured out how to remove yet. If it;'sd not functional, I'd just take it off and leave it that way.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's been 8 months, c'mon man!:p

RCO likes this.
  5. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've seen several discussions posted here, about the white plastic on the steering wheel. And the shifter console. And the cupholders.

Why does that bother people so much??? I don't even notice it when I'm driving. And I have the full complement of "white porcelain bathroom fixtures." I must be getting old, because it doesn't bother me at all.
    I feel right at home in my bathroom.:ROFLMAO:

RCO likes this.
  6. thewraith

thewraith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I cared about how my car looked- I wouldn't have purchased a Prius. :D

Coast Cruiser and RCO like this.