1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lowered Prius - rear helper spring

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by mark2203, Aug 7, 2013.

1. mark2203

mark2203 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Recently installed H&R lowering springs along with new KYB struts on my Gen 2 Prius. The front fits like a champ but when the vehicle is lifted off the ground for maintenance and the suspension is fully extended, the rear springs are not long enough to hold hold firm on the perch and they move around, which requires me to reseat them prior to lowering the car back to the ground. It looks like this may be a pretty common situation and it wouldnt take more than 1" to resove it. I'd like to eliminate this problem and a possible resolution appears to install a helper spring, although I don't know if this will work on a strut. Has anyone had the same experience or have any suggestions on how to resolve this?

I'm considering the Eibach 2.5 helper spring and coupling spacer. Can be seen on Summit Racing.

Thanks!

2. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Same seating issue with my Eibach springs that came with my GroundControl kit. My car never gets air so it was never a problem again once I lowered the car back to the ground after install.

3. mark2203

mark2203 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I installed the front and had the dealer install the rear, but they never mentioned the extra play in the springs. I finally realized it was an issue around 6-months later when one shifted enough to started making rear-end noises out of the driveway and around corners. California roads are so bad that after several hard bumps one had shifted out of place. The dealer then made me aware when I contacted them as they read through the mechanic's notes. Better to know later than never. They said they would install a solution at no cost if I found one. The only solution they suggested was go back to factory, which isn't going to happen.

If at the point where the spring meet the lower perch is 2.5" inner diameter then I think the Eibach helper spring and spacer would work to hold it all together, although I think it's technically made for a coil-over. But would adding them defeat the purpose of the lowering springs?

4. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Honestly couldn't say. Do u have a part # that they are wanting to use?

5. mark2203

mark2203 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd post a link but I've been a lurker for too long. Don't have rights too.
    Google Summit Racing HELPER250

6. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't see how this will help. The problem you have is that your suspension travel is now longer than the springs. This is not how they should be designed. The no-load length of the H&R springs should be exactly the same as the stock springs. They either sold you the wrong springs or designed them wrong. I would contact H&R and demand they fix the issue.

7. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    You can order specific spring sizes and rates directly from Ground control

I know you can order specific spring rates and height pairs (2) from Ground Control (Eibach Springs) for about $120. I've done so when I wanted a more aggressive drop.

Ground Control Systems, Inc.
    3885 Dividend Dr.
    Shingle Springs, CA 95667
    P - 530-677-8600

I worked with Adam there to get my custom spring rates. When I was ordering my springs, I got a GC200.64.58: 8 inches long, 2 1/2 I.D., 340lbs/inch until I realized I wanted to go lower then I ordered GC180.64.61, 7 inches long, 2 1/2 I.D., 350 lbs/inch.

You could probably just tell them what length and rate you want and get exactly the spring u need vs doing some add-on.

8. mark2203

mark2203 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the feedback guys. H&R was less than helpful so I'll get in touch with ground control. I wish I would have heard of these guys before then.:confused: