1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lowering springs: best ones for comfort and installation/pricing?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by priusenvious1, Dec 25, 2012.

1. priusenvious1

priusenvious1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm considering lowering the car roughly an inch. Which model of springs is best for retaining the most comfortable ride while lowering the car?

How much should I expect to pay for both the springs and the installation combined?

2. SoCal65SS

SoCal65SS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Lowering only 1 inch plus wanting a comfortable ride... I think your best bet is the TRD Plus Springs. They lower the car an inch and Toyota wouldn't be selling anything to make the ride of their product suffer. I'm sure others with the springs can attest better to the ride quality of them. Usually springs are around $200 and most shops should install them for $150 to $200.

sfv41901 and PriusCamper like this.
  3. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This pretty much sums it up.

Here is a pic. The left Prius (mine) has H&Rs. The middle (F8L's) & the right (wotcher's) Prius have TRDs.

IMAG1371.jpg

Dylan Doxey, BCP and PriusCamper like this.
  4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That picture makes me wish I had lined the cars up straight. The angles mat your car look long and wotcher's car look short. lol

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey sfv41901 is the ride on your H&R's the same as on the TRD's?

Does the same hold true if I'm putting 'em on a Gen2 Prius? Availability of TRD for Gen2 seems pretty limited and I might have to go with something else...

6. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here is another pic I have on my phone. It goes TRD, H&R, TRD

IMAG1366.jpg

I cannot comment if the ride between the H&R & TRDs are the same. I haven't driven or been in a Prii with TRDs.

When I had my gen2, there were only 2 choices: TRD or H&R. Eibachs have been discontinued.

wotcher, F8L and PriusCamper like this.
  7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did your freeway ride get less smoothe, more smoothe, stayed the same when you switched to different springs?

8. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My freeway handling got better but a lil more bouncy.....nothing that isn't too unmanageable.

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Same for me with the TRD springs.

10. priusenvious1

priusenvious1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for the replies! Nice pics! Here's a pic with my new wheels. I haven't posted it everywhere on this forum because I kind of want to be low key about this. Do you think I need a drop at all? If so, what kind of drop do you recommend (front and rear) without affecting comfort too much:

[​IMG]

mnml, ockevin, ePrius and 3 others like this.
  11. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nice. It wouldn't hurt to put some springs on.

Something me & F8L noticed is that the TRD springs lower the rear a lil more vs the H&Rs whereas the H&Rs lower the front a lil more than the TRDs.....so TRDs leave the Prii level & H&Rs give it a stance.

If u don't want to go that route, u can always get a tire with more sidewall so the fender gap is reduced.

F8L likes this.
  12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think you NEED to lower it. Obviously it would look better with springs but if you are super worried about comfort then run it stock and wait for a set if springs to go on super sale like I did. ;)

Looks good!

13. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think you need to as well. But, it would look a lot better if you do. I would go with Eibach springs. I had them and it had a level look to them. I hated how the TRD springs made the rear end lower than the front. The ride was a little better than the float without the springs. The bumps in the road were a shorter tighter. Performance wise it made a huge difference. The car would stay flat through the corners.

p.JPG

Shibikku and brookswrld like this.
  14. priusenvious1

priusenvious1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    OK thanks for the opinion. When I first looked at the car after I got the rims, I felt like it needed something more. I don't think it's the gap between the wheel well and tires the more I look at it. I think it's the height of the car to the floor. It's kind of high up. Maybe the better option is to get a ground kit. Thing is, what ground kit fits on a 2012 PIP?

15. TNGator

TNGator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm lowering my Gen III on Friday. H&R springs, Drag DR9 wheels. Pics on Saturday if all goes well. I hope I didn't make a mistake on the wheel size 16 X 7. Your car looks great with the new shoes. I would wait a while and let the stance of the car grow on you. If it doesn't, you will know what to do. I picked up the H&R springs for $200.00 from tire rack. A local guy is doing the install and alignment for $250.00.

16. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a pretty good price with alignment. But, I would wait on the springs to settle before getting the alignemnt.

17. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can use the same body kit on the Prius Plus kit since everything is the same. But, it will just make your car look more lifted. The money is better spent on a drop IMO. Your wheels do look nice though, I was thinking of those same ones.

18. priusenvious1

priusenvious1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ok thanks. It seems like from the reaction here, I probably don't need to drop the car. Sometimes, when you see a car with rims, you think "that car needs to be lowered for sure" and it doesn't seem like my car is this case.

Adam Leibovitch likes this.
  19. TNGator

TNGator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I asked the same question to my mechanic and he said to go ahead and get the alignment done at the same time. I really wouldn't know if he is right or wrong. I'm just trusting the guy.

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The car needs to be driven a bit for the suspension to settle before aligning it. Especially if the springs are brand new.

sfv41901 likes this.