1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lowering springs for US Prius - email if interested

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by talonts, Feb 18, 2004.

1. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I posted this to most of the Yahoo Groups, but haven't gotten SQUAT for a response. I just can't believe that absolutely NOONE is wanting to slightly lower their car...

I just talked with Eibach, and they need to know the interest level in springs before they'd look into making a set for the 04 Prius. It runs them around $10,000 to prototype springs, so they can't just do it for any car at the drop of a hat.

If you are in the US and interested, and I mean *seriously* interested (ready to spend the money right now if the springs were available), I need you to email me at [email protected] ASAP. I will be keeping count of the interest so I can pass it on to Eibach.

I told them we'd most likely be interested in a Pro-Kit style spring, right at 1" drop front and rear - just enough for handling, looks, and stability improvements, without scraping everywhere. A slightly increased rate for a firmer suspension, while keeping the stock struts, would be a plus.

Assuming they had enough interest to make enough of them to list them in their catalog, they'd most likely retail for $299. If there wasn't enough interest to get them in the catalog, but still enough to cover prototyping costs, they might make some, but the price would obviously be higher.

So if you are *seriously* interested, I'd appreciate you sending me:
    first name, last initial
    city/state
    email address you wish me to use to contact you to [email protected]. The reason for city/state is that if someone is nearby their shop, the prototyping could go much quicker with direct access to a car without waiting to obtain one elsewhere.

2. Mau28

Mau28 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Its probably not in the best interest of Eibach to produce performance springs for a market where there is not a big enough demand to produce the item....IF i had a prius...i would probably want to lower the car myself...but a better alternative..less hassle...cost the same would be to buy a set available in japan ...i forgot the retail..but just contact any local import tuner shop to order one...probably cost u roughly the same..less hassle..and you get what u want.

3. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know. That's why it is my job to build the interest, then let them know when we have 25 people ready.

That's what you think. I have already spent months trying to get them from Japan. I have now found 2 different people that can get them for me. The springs will be about $300, and the shipping another $200. Not to mention that since there are different suspensions for the Prius throughout the world, we don't know for sure if the Japan springs will work on US cars.

4. Mau28

Mau28 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hey Talonts, hope this helps you with what ur looking for
    [​IMG]

Front 1.4~1.2 inch drop
    Rear 1.0~0.8 inch drop

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Where did you find those pics, Mau? That drop looks great!

(Post used to say, "Is that your car, Mau?" - hence Mau's response to me. I changed it once I saw the Japanese/European fender)

6. Mau28

Mau28 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hahah..no..I WISH!!!!...still waiting for the call from Dianne...but just planning ahead for mods to the car. These just came out in Japan, but im sure theyll be heading to the US soon enough from RS-R

7. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm assuming this came from http://www.rs-r.co.jp/new_item/search.php3...body_name=NHW20 ?

Looks like about $340 USD for the set. I wonder what it will be here in the US. Looks like it would be at least $309, since they are Ti2000 springs -
    http://www.rs-r.com/news_Ti2000_09102003.htm

Thanks, I've emailed rs-r.com here in the US for any info.

I'd recommend that anyone interested in lowering their 04 also email them - http://www.rs-r.com/contact_us.htm - the more interest they have, the more likely they will be to import the springs.

:D

8. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got a response back from RS-R USA - they will NOT be importing the springs, and if you grey market any in, they won't be warrantied.

Grrrr.....

I've GOT to find a relatively cheap way of getting proper lowering springs on this car! The shipping that a couple of individuals have quoted from Japan is insane, almost $200!

9. Tom

Tom New Member

How about this fine stainless steel exhaust? It is from TOM'S racing.

http://www.tomsracing.co.jp/

I looked at the site through Babelfish. They call the "Prius" the "Pre-mortar"

10. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps on the racing modified Prius which has the std Otto ICE this would make sense, but I'm not sure we'd squeeze much more power out of our engine with this.

Not only that, but I pride this car in being pretty quiet. My previous cars (Probe w/ GReddy and Contour SVT stock) had a nice louder exhaust note, but I can't envision the Prius the same way. Simply contradicts the enviro image on a noise pollution factor.

11. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Haha, I never pictured you in a Contour SVT - those babies growl!

12. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I loved it - but ditched it for my '02 Prius because that was the first time gas prices rose. This thing required Premium unleaded for full power, and I was tired of feeding a car premium when the best I got was 17-18mpg. Plus, even the first Prius had way too much geek factor for me to pass up. But it was a huge jump for me to move out of a ~7 second 0-60 car to a 12-13 second 0-60 car ('02 Prius).

I do miss the power and handling though, as well as the scream of the V6 at it's 7000k redline :-D I also miss the 600w of stereo I had in there, but alas, we all move on and grow up :)

-Rick

13. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGH!

The URL no longer works, and I can't find the springs listed ANYWHERE on the RS-R Japan site. I found a shop in California that could possibly import them, if they have the part number.

I don't suppose anyone saved the info anywhere, or has a current link to it?

14. assagor

assagor New Member

Well since that site in unavailable, did you check T-tune?

I think the company is part of Toyota that sells rims, body kits, and the springs for the prius. Here is the linky.

http://www.toyota.co.jp/T/t-tune/html/pri_..._sty/index.html

Yout gotta click the link in the middle of the page that says MODELLISTA and then the gold colored link near the bottom, second from the left. (Hope that made sense)

15. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Modellista springs aren't a problem - all I have to do is find a buyer in Japan for them and pay at least $150 shipping to get them before next year (grrr).

The problem is the RS-R springs, which IF I can get the part #, I might be able to buy at retail price, without a whopping shipping charge from Japan. But since the Prius springs are no longer a New Item on the RS-R page, they seem to have dropped off the face of the earth - I can't seem to find them anywhere on the RS-R Japan website (and RS-R USA still has no plans to import them).

16. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to a friend in Japan, I got the RS-R link:
    http://www.rs-r.co.jp/db/suspension.php3?C...Body_Name=NHW20

I'm going to check with the importer as to cost/availability (they're closed today, will have to check tomorrow).

Is anyone else interested in the springs? If everyone ordered them at once through the importer, we might have a better chance of getting them. Shipping shouldn't be too high, as they import a LOT of stuff at once, so the springs would probably end up in a cargo container. The importer is located in California, so hopefully it wouldn't take them too long to receive the springs.

NOTE from my Japan contact:
    --------------------------------
    Series__set__price___price___down spring-rate___model_________product__JAN-code
    _____________(net)__(with tax)_mm)_kg/mm)_______________________code
    RS*R____F&R__23,000__24,150_______________S(Turing 16" model)__T081D___250536
    ________F____13,000__13,650__35-30__3.02__ditto________________T081DF__250543
    ________R____10,000__10,500__25-20__3.10__ditto________________T081DR__250550
    Ti2000__F&R__36,500__38,325_______________S(Turing 16" model)__T081TD__250505
    ________F____22,000__23,100__35-30__3.02__ditto________________T081TDF_250512
    ________R____14,500__15,225__25-20__3.10__ditto________________T081TDR_250529
    Ti2000__F&R__39,000__40,950_______________S(normal 15" model)__T082TD__253612
    ________F____22,000__23,100__25-20__3.02__ditto________________T082TDF_253629
    ________R____17,000__17,850__20-15__3.42__ditto________________T082TDR_253636
    RS*R____F&R__25,000__26,250_______________S(normal 15" model)__T082D___253643
    ________F____13,000__13,650__25-20__3.02__ditto________________T082DF__253650
    ________R____12,000__12,600__20-15__3.42__ditto________________T082DR__253667

Please note that the spring-rate for 15" model is harder than 16" model.
    I believe it is based on softer tires and dumpers as same comments as Modellista.
    --------------------------------

If the above isn't readable enough for you, see http://www.vfaq.net/mods/RSR-02.html

Most people in the US should probably stick with the 15" springs, especially if you plan on adding more battery capacity in the future.

17. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    >I posted this to most of the Yahoo Groups, but haven't gotten
    >SQUAT for a response. I just can't believe that absolutely
    >NOONE is wanting to slightly lower their car...

I've scraped my front bumper on the ground twice so far. I don't know why I'd want it any lower.

18. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Voice of ignorance here........What is/are the advantages of lowering the car?Does lowering the CG only an inch or so make that much of a difference?
    I find that I occasionally scrape higher curbs when parking; an inch lower and I would be doing it all the time.

19. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I might do that in the future. I highly doubt anyone will ever sell them for the 04 Prius, so I might have to just build one for the front.

However, I DO plan on buying higher performance struts IF they are ever available in the US. Or getting the RS-R struts from Japan, if necessary. Nothing crazy, just something closer to what the UK owners already have.

20. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All this interest in hotrodding a Prius, which really isn't amenable to it, suggests a market opportunity for affordable "green" muscle cars. How long will it take a maker to offer an Incredible Hulk? (Not that low emissions and high fuel economy are significant to most performance nuts, but they come almost for free once you incorporate a big fat torquey electric motor into the drive train.)