1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lowering the Prius: exhaustive questions list

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by priusenvious1, Nov 20, 2013.

1. priusenvious1

priusenvious1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm still on the fence about lowering the car. I just want the car to continue to be a problem free, low maintenance car that I don't have to worry about. So I still have some questions for the people who have lowered their car:
    • How much of a drop is optimal for not causing too much problems?
    • What are the use cases that never was an issue before but now are new issues as a result, let's say if you dropped it one inch? I'm thinking entering driveways and parking spots where there's that wheel chock at the end of it. Will the front scrape?
    • Does it wear out other parts prematurely (i.e., struts)
    • If you drop it an inch, does it look drastically different?
    • Did you see a change in MPG?
    • In terms of ride, how much rougher is it after the drop? I see mixed feedback with some saying that with springs like H&R, there was virtually no change or some other people say there was a much rougher ride. Not sure what the answer is here since I hear different opinions.
    • Where's the best and cheapest place to buy springs? I'm leaning towards H&R since it seems to be the one that looks great and people say that it affects the ride the least. Any local places in the LA area where I can save on tax if I pay cash and pay for install combined?
    • For the people who have lowered: would you do it again if you started over or would you prefer to have done something else instead? If so, what?

Thanks guys!

2. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just went with Trd springs which did make the ride noticeably different but not uncomfortable.

From the Trd springs height I don't have any problems with driveways or speed bumps I have had them for 3000 miles

With the Trd springs, since toyota doesn't change the struts for the plus prius or any thing else. I would think it won't prematurely mess anything up though I'm not sure.

Yes, to me I can spot a lowered prius easily and it look different to me not drastically though.

Minor change in mpg ( for the better)

I'm in nor cal I don't know of anything in SoCal

Turn off signatures in Tapatalk Tapatalk

3. priusenvious1

priusenvious1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for the reply. This helps a lot. Question about your first point. When you say different, was it much more rough?

4. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    H&R springs are one of the best on the market and lowering by 1 inch will look better and not make a huge difference in terms of ride.

I've lowered numerous cars over the years and one thing I've noticed is that you get what you pay for.

5. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have problems with many driveways without lowering.

Silver bullit likes this.
  6. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

This fairly common on the stock Prius, so lowering doesn't really make that that much worse IMO.

Here's my before and after video on the TRD Prius Plus Lowering Springs:

7. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes I would

Turn off signatures in Tapatalk Tapatalk

8. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you can see it on the road surface, you can feel it. It is not a jarring ride by no means but more precise.

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

9. priusenvious1

priusenvious1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm not sure what you mean.

10. priusenvious1

priusenvious1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Maybe it's because your car is black but I don't see a difference!

11. priusenvious1

priusenvious1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Got it.

12. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    He means that the Prius is already a relatively low riding vehicle. I can relate, I've scraped the lower edge of the front spoiler coming out of steep driveways and on some parking stall curbs/stops as well with our non-lowered Prius.

SCH-I535

13. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    I am interested in lowering the prius too, with the TRD springs. Since the TRD springs were made for the car and endorsed by Toyota, they should be the best bet for a good balance between comfort and performance. I highly doubt Toyota would put their name on a product that gives a jarring, slammed or dangerous driving vehicle that may potentially affect the life of other components.

If you have the money, perhaps check out cusco coilovers...They have the comfort spec line but will be costing 2K for a set of 4. Toyota Prius Coil Overs and Prius Springs and Prius Shocks: PriusAccessory.com.

I used to run H&R sportline springs on my 1989 Honda civic hatch; mated with adjustable Koni shocks. The ride was actually so stiff and uncomfortable that I took off the springs and put back on the oems. Meanwhile, my buddy who had an integra with H&R sportline springs had a nice sporty and compliant ride - totally unpredictable depending on what car the springs are put on.

I could go on forever and ever about suspension setups. Now that I think of it, I should just leave everything as is on my prius! Do something wrong and the chassis as well as your back pays the price :(.

14. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

It may be difficult to see because it was shot on different days with different camera but after is definitely lower.

15. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I used Tanabe NF-210 springs. They're designed to retain the original ride quality while lowering about 1.5". I strongly suspect that the TRD springs are Tanabe NF-210's repainted based on photos I've seen.

My original shocks are fine so far (30K miles on the lowered springs), and there was no change to the front/rear alignment after the drop (I had it checked). There has been more scraping under the front, and I've replaced a cover panel there. I've also installed a proximity sensor in the front lip to help prevent parking scrapes.