1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lowly fluorescent bulbs outdo Kyoto, Solar, Wind

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by TimBikes, Aug 28, 2006.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, all that noise about how implementing the Kyoto Protocol would bankrupt us all, and all we had to do was change the light bulbs?

2. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Aug 29 2006, 03:43 PM) [snapback]311248[/snapback]</div>
    Yes... but a lot of people don't like the 'different' lighting quality. Priorities you know!

3. Mirza

Mirza New Member

It's hilarious the kind of spin the OP put in his post... if one is adding solar panels to a home, the first step before anything else to improve the energy efficiency of the home.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Sep 3 2006, 05:45 PM) [snapback]313642[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sorry, could you explain your post. What 'spin', and why's it hillarious? Perhaps I'm naive, but it seems quite logical to me...reduce energy use first then switch to an alternate source which will be easier and less expensive to do since your energy requirement will be less.

What part is spin and what part is hilarious?

5. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Spin... as in using the fact of the energy consumption reductions (of the bulbs) as a way of trying to mock the Kyoto protocol. Hilarious... because logically what one is supposed to do when switching to solar power (for example) is to improve energy efficiency... such as using the CFLB's.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Sep 3 2006, 06:00 PM) [snapback]313649[/snapback]</div>
    That's a cop-out reply. So you're slamming the OP b/c of previous posts you don't see eye to eye with on Kyoto even though this post about compact florescents makes sense?

I don't think that's fair to him or anyone else. If you have some specific point that you disagree with or you feel is not accurate IN THIS THREAD then be clear about it, correct it and present the data to support your point of view. Otherwise just be nice.

7. Mirza

Mirza New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 3 2006, 07:05 PM) [snapback]313653[/snapback]</div>

Post edited. Reread. His attitude on Kyoto is mocking (read b/w the lines).

8. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Sep 3 2006, 06:09 PM) [snapback]313654[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't read it as mocking Kyoto. I just thought he was making a valid point about the large impact we can make by using CFLs. I don't see anything anti-Kyoto in it, or between.

9. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Guess I owe TimBikes an apology. Anyways, went around changing light bulbs today... can't wait for the day I can get solar.

10. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Sep 4 2006, 09:29 PM) [snapback]314316[/snapback]</div>
    Me too!

11. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Aug 28 2006, 08:53 PM) [snapback]310959[/snapback]</div>
    Not according to the manufacturer's of the solid state dimmers like Lutron:

12. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Sep 4 2006, 09:09 PM) [snapback]314337[/snapback]</div>
    "back in the day" though the dimming was achieved by increased resistance.

Mizra, look into solar thermal for water heating. Espeically if you have electric water heating, you'll save a lotta kWh. And with a 30% fed tax credit it's amazingly inexpensive.

13. kevinwhite

kevinwhite Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Aug 29 2006, 08:35 AM) [snapback]311127[/snapback]</div>
    This is only useful if you actually need the dimming capability - a 100W bulb running at 50W output will only produce about 2/3 of the light of a 50W lamp running at full brightness os it is less efficient if you are always using it at low output.

Also I am not sure what is meant by "older type dimmer". All residential dimmers for the last 30-40 years have been virtually 100% efficient and have controlled the light power by phase control - I don't believe modern ones are any different although some may use devices other than SCRs or Triacs.

The old dimmers for stage lighting are a diffferent matter - they did use rheostats or even salt baths to drop the voltage to the lamps. They did get very hot.

kevin

14. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Almost all modern dimmers use triac phase-chopping to do their thing,
    which is very efficient in terms of additional energy dissipation
    at the dimming device [i.e. almost none]. That "electrician" is
    spouting nonsense.
    There are some CFLs designed to be compatible with triac dimmers, but
    they don't really track the levels very well. Some integraged
    fluorescent lighting systems have their own dimming built in, using
    a dedicated control, and they do a little better but not nearly as
    smooth and wide-range as with incandescents. And for some applications,
    such as theatrical lighting, you really need that smooth 0 - 100%
    control. Newer types of lights do use what amounts to a HID system
    with mechanical dimmers, but the lamp is usually running at full
    blast behind the dimming system so it doesn't really save anything.
    I've got mostly CFLs at this point but a lot of the ones constructed
    offshore in bulk have some *serious* durability problems. The
    electronics inside are designed and built like complete crap. The
    ones from "commercial electric" are particularly popular and
    particularly bad. They're all from China sweatshops anyways, and
    it shows. They *could* be better, and probably *could* even emit
    a better spectrum with a little more work on the gas mix, but they've
    already hit the wal-mart level of commitment to quality and are
    thus unlikely to be improved.
    _H*

15. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

I wish I could do this and keep the 3 big blue spruces that shade my roof's southern exposure for about 90% of the day. :(

OTOH, those trees probably save me plenty in cooling costs.

16. brasche

brasche Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We switched eight years ago (at $17 each!). Today we're amazed that they are selling for $1.50.

The early CF were yellow colored, slow to start, and slow to achieve full brightness. Today's CF even more efficient, are quick to start and produce much whiter light.

Waiting for our original CF collection to die so we can enjoy the benefits of the new and improved.

17. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Sep 4 2006, 07:29 PM) [snapback]314316[/snapback]</div>
    No apology necessary. Glad you changed the bulbs. ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Sep 4 2006, 08:48 PM) [snapback]314358[/snapback]</div>
    Have you found any decent ones? You sound like a man who knows your bulbs.

18. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Also available are 3-way Compact Fluorescent, Dimmable Compact Fluorescent, and Daylight Spectrum Compact Fluorescent bulbs. I know, I have all three.

The dimmable in the ceiling in the living room for watching tv.
    The 3-way in the lamp next to the reading chair.
    The daylight spectrum in the home office along with a regular CFL for a good color balance.

They are sold individually, not in bulk packs. They are more expensive, but for their particular applications, they were necessary. They can be found at most hardware stores.

21 of 24 of our light sockets have CFL lights . . . even the porch light, which is protected inside a glass globe, and has a photo eye to turn on and off. Since our weather in Sacramento is never very cold, it is always able to reach max brightness during the winter months. The last three holdout bulbs are bathroom vanity lights which will be replaced with the upcoming remodel.

19. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Sep 4 2006, 08:48 PM) [snapback]314358[/snapback]</div>
    I was planning to do a thread on the subject mentioned in this link . . . but this thread works.

Definitely worth a read!
    http://www.fastcompany.com/subscr/108/open_lightbulbs.html

just some snippets . . .
    What that means is that if every one of 110 million American households bought just one ice-cream-cone bulb, took it home, and screwed it in the place of an ordinary 60-watt bulb, the energy saved would be enough to power a city of 1.5 million people. One bulb swapped out, enough electricity saved to power all the homes in Delaware and Rhode Island. In terms of oil not burned, or greenhouse gases not exhausted into the atmosphere, one bulb is equivalent to taking 1.3 million cars off the roads.

Teaming up with General Electric, which owns about 60% of the residential lightbulb market in the United States, Wal-Mart wants to single-handedly double U.S. sales for CFLs in a year, and it wants demand to surge forward after that.

In the next 12 months, starting with a major push this month, Wal-Mart wants to sell every one of its regular customers--100 million in all--one swirl bulb. In the process, Wal-Mart wants to change energy consumption in the United States, and energy consciousness, too. It also aims to change its own reputation, to use swirls to make clear how seriously Wal-Mart takes its new positioning as an environmental activist.

20. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Sep 4 2006, 10:12 PM) [snapback]314374[/snapback]</div>
    Could you remote the panels? There's no law that says the have to be on your roof.

Sufferin' Prius Envy, that article made my day! For once, I wish Walmart the best of luck. Glad to see GE involved too. They've been doing a lot of good things lately.