1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LRR tires vs. Regular Tires. Is the extra cost worth it?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by E46Prius, Sep 8, 2015.

1. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I got some 17" FRS wheels for my Prius. They will be installed today hopefully. For now, the wheels have some generic UHP tires on them. Two are almost new and the other two are almost completely worn (not beyond wear bars yet)

So I probably have a couple to a few weeks to drive on these. The sooner I can get new tires, the better.

I've pretty much decided I'll be getting 205-50-17s for my wheels. For a while I was looking at the P7 A/S LRR in that size or Michelin Primacy LRR in same size. Those two sets are around $600. For $350 or so I can get a set of "normal" Hankook V2 concept tires. They're also lighter by a pound each at 19 lbs than those other choices.

So they're cheaper short-term and they provide better grip.

So based on a 7% less fuel economy than "normal" tires, my calculations suggest that it would take 5 years to recoup the extra cost of LRR tires (about $51/yr x 5 years @ 12,000 miles) and by that time, you'll need new tires anyway. My #s assume a 50,000 mile lifespan.

The benefits to "normal" tires, is that you have increased safety by way of grip.

At this point I choose to go with 17" wheels, so any differences I am talking about are 17" wheel/tire to 17" wheel/tire. Not versus 15". Obviously by going 17", i'm taking a mileage hit altogether.

Is my thinking out of line?

Seems Toyota might stock the more expensive LRR tires from the factory but not at the benefit of saving money (per car) but achieving the magical 50mpg mark or higher. Basically to be able to brag about the highest FE #s possible for purposes of sales. But if the end result is to save money, are "normal" tires fine? (unless the cost of LRR tires go down)

2. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  3. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Typically LRR tires are associated with less grip. Tire Rack (not user reviews) seems to agree with this in one of their articles. By the way, I'd prefer a summer tire over an a/s tire as I'm in SoCal.

That aside, the question remains. LRR tires cost more. Is it worth it? Even assuming grip is equal (I doubt it is) but lets say it is.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what if gas goes to $6.?

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My mileage hit is more than 7% and I expect to get a lot more than 50000 miles out of the tires. When I ran my numbers the difference in fuel consumption would have paid for a set of tires.

I divided the expected life of the new tires by the fuel economy of the new tires to get the number of gallons expected to be consumed.

I took the same mileage and divided it by the fuel economy on the old tires to get the number of gallons consumed.

The difference between the two numbers was multiplied by the current price of gas. The difference was enough to pay for a set of tires.

6. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If gas goes up, that means oil goes up. And since oil products are used to make tires, that means tires go up too. It also costs more to transport those tires. Also with lower gas prices, people usually drive more. So if you're driving more, it might make sense to get the cheaper tires. Not knocking LRR tires, I think they're great. But it seems any return on investment you'd gain is minimal and would take many years to see.

All depends on what your priorities are. If you drive a full fledged high performance car, most concerns about economy go out the window.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so i guess it's not worth it to you.:)

8. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not this time. I got 52.1mpg indicated on my first commute. About the same # I got with the stock 15s. =) Driving normally. wasnt trying! pretty happy with that

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You've come down with muddled thinking, lol. There are cheap LRR options. Now what?

10. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not in the size I wanted. Also not high performance all season. I did my research and weighed the costs, pros, and cons. It's not just about being cheap, but good value + quality + characteristics. So perfect combination of what I wanted =) The ones I got had great reviews and since LRR tires start at the higher end of the price scale, the "cheapest" LRR tires (in my size) tend to be the not so good/not-heard-of ones. The ones that claim "LRR" but not all LRR tires are created equal. I mentioned in another thread my set costs me total OTD $440 w/ a current ongoing rebate. Still 50+mpg and I'm happy.

[​IMG]

PLSPUSH and bwilson4web like this.
  11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    [​IMG]
    Was that bumper inlet standard or extra?

I like it because it reduces the area and brings the edges in a bit. Not quite efficient as a total block, anything that reduces the air 'ducking in and spilling out' of the lower inlet is going to reduce high-speed drag. I found about a 2 MPG improvement at highway speeds using a total air block because it stopped the excessive cooling flow.

Bob Wilson

12. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Bob. Are you referring to the black part of my bumper? It's standard. Is there another one I'm not aware of? Mine is a 2015. Looking at the pic though did make me want to mod my grill. Looks like a big area to create drag behind.. but I live in a hot climate so maybe I should not experiment with my new car haha

bwilson4web likes this.
  13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  14. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I switched over to Persona 17" wheels this Spring. Went with the Pirelli Cinturato P7 in 205/50 17 spec. Figured gone were the 50+mpg days, but nope, wife is still getting 52-53 ish each tank after about the 700 to 900 mile mark on the tires. We took a 6,000 plus mile trip on them in late Spring thru part of Summer and I have to say that for an LRR tire, it's quiet, smooth and linear. Also great in the heavy rain at Interstate pace.

There are very good LRR tires available in the market. Those TireRack reviews were pretty valuable during the new tire research period. Over 10,000 miles on these Pirelli tires now and they show no wear. Rotating them every 5,000 miles. Doing the second rotation tomorrow.

15. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good to hear you are getting 50+ with 17" tires. I was considering those tires as well. How much did a full set run you installed?

And FWIW, I checked on TireRack's website for my Hankook non-LRR and the description reads Hankook uses a special rubber compound for lower rolling resistance.. but they're not classified as LRR tires.

16. bubblemama

bubblemama Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mendel, what are the cheap LRR options? I've looked for that info. int the forum but cannot find it. I haven't found any "cheap" LRR tires. I need to get new tires for my '08 but don't want to spend $400+ when I know that I'm going to keep the car for just another year or two, at most.

trip1027 likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    kenichols29 likes this.
  18. bubblemama

bubblemama Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Mendel. You know, I haven't bought tires in so long that I forgot how expensive they are! Yup, the Ecopias are a bit more reasonable than the other LRRs out there.

19. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can say that again! :D

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Both the 15" and 17" models of 2016 Prius in Las Vegas were using EP422 Plus. This does not mean they're the best tires, for all people. What it does say is the tire is going to be good for LRR, and likely half-decent in other departments.