1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LSC A0N - HV (Inverter) Water Pump; Dealer Letter and Technical Instructions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by josh2008, Nov 28, 2010.

1. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    View attachment LSC A0N Dealer Letter.pdf

View attachment LSC A0N Technical Instructions.pdf

Hello all,

I have uploaded PDF's of both the Dealer Letter and Technical Instructions for LSC A0N that was just released a few days ago. I figured I would post a fresh thread with the official info straight from TIS. Please note, LSC A0N includes 04-07 Prius, where as the previous TSB for the inverter pump only covered 04-06. You will also find the chart with the VIN ranges on page 2 of the Technical Instructions PDF to see if your vehicle is included.

Enjoy!

Meg&Bear, ccdisce, raffpoz and 27 others like this.
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks so much, Josh!

I noticed that the inverter pump part number, G9020-47031, has not changed from the number in effect last June when I replaced the pump on my 2004. I wonder if that means the pump being installed pursuant to this LSC is the same as was available last year?

If there was a change, you'd expect the part number to be incremented to make it easy to purge obsolete stock from the field inventory warehouses.

Also, I noticed that the pump does not seem to have any part numbering on it. Suppose the pump had been previously replaced, as was the case with Jeff D.'s car. How would the tech know whether the currently-installed pump is -47030 or -47031?

Meg&Bear and Seabreeze17 like this.
  3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    That may be why my dealer said that they will do the recall before I can ask for a refund for the earlier repair. I did confirm that the new pump installed at 150k miles was the -47031 before they installed it (maybe they will just remove the pump to check the part number and put it back). Since I am going to wait a while before doing the recall (I am at 187k miles now and at 200k I would have to do a coolant change anyway), someone else will probably execute the procedure before I will and let us know how it worked out.

JeffD

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If I can get them to replace the squawling CHT pump at the same time as the inverter pump, I can get all new coolant. :madgrin:

1 person likes this.
  5. Seabreeze17

Seabreeze17 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    12-1

Any chance that the water pump malfunction could cause the standard battery to fail due to strain on electric resources in the car?

My water pump malfunctioned and my standard battery did too. Should the standard battery fail after 3 years? (2007 Prius).

The dealer did replace the pump, but is charging me for the battery (not cheap!). Thanks. Seabreeze17

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Other posters have reported a battery failure that soon. I also have a 2007 and the 12V battery just died on me yesterday.

If the inverter coolant pump fails, the inverter will overheat and the DC/DC converter will shut down. When that happens, the 12V battery must provide power to the DC bus until you turn the car off. Depending upon what accessories are running the battery might have to provide 50A or more of current, and will not last very long under those circumstances.

Since the 12V battery is not covered under warranty, you were asked to pay for its replacement. The battery probably would have failed several months down the road, anyway.

1 person likes this.
  7. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

Well this forum is worth it's weight in gold as they say. My Feb 07 falls in the range. Also need squealing coolant tank pump, oddly it is quieter this winter. No one has touched a screw on my car since delivery, including the wheel nuts, except me, which is how I wanted to keep it. For me it was a whole lotta money and a big stretch to buy this car, even with 2500 off list, 1500 tax credit and 24 months 0% they offered at the time.

I wonder if anyone else is concerned the dealer techs will follow all the instructions as listed. If I did it, I would do it exactly, but somehow I fear there isn't a chance in H the techs will.

The first II Prius in USA was #1086? Sounds like the first 85 were kept in Japan. I wouldn't mind having a below 1100 number just for the interest of it.

8. Jolly English Gentleman

Jolly English Gentleman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that the VIN's are for the entire Global population of affected Prii - mine falls in the range and I'm in the UK. Toyota UK have announced that they too are going to start a "Customer Satisfaction Campaign" on this issue, but have not been so quick at sending out letters. Well at least I have not received anything.

9. halpos4

halpos4 "Taxi"!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm in Ireland and i spoke to my Toyota dealer,they have no knowledge of this,i was searching for a PDF to print off that refers to the 70,000 vehicles in Europe to bring to them...just to prove i'm not completely off my rocker!!

10. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for that .pdf file!
    Dealer just did my 06 this weekend and I checked today and there is no flow at all through the coolant tank as before. The new (redesigned) pump is running but now there's no flow. This is btw from the same dealer service dept. that has repeatedly in the past overfilled the engine with oil by as much as 1/2 to 3/4 inch over the full mark. I have since done my own engine oil/filter changes on this vehicle for the last two times, and I did recently installed an aftermarket engine air filter. Needless to say I will never bring this 06 back to this dealer again,
    they have proven to me now beyond a doubt that they are incompetent.

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Today I had the inverter coolant pump replaced on the 2007 with 30.4K miles as per the LSC, at Precision Toyota in Tucson. I also asked for the coolant heat recovery pump to be evaluated for excessive noise and it was replaced under warranty per T-SB-0087-08.

The work was performed to my satisfaction. The inverter coolant continues to flow nicely and the CHRS pump is much quieter now.

1 person likes this.
  12. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Patrick, did they replace the coolant or did they pinch off the hoses and top it off?

13. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The repair order lists the use of one gallon of SLLC and the explanatory text says "Replaced hybrid inverter pump and replaced coolant as per SSC A0N."

However I do not think that the engine coolant was drained/replaced when the CHRS pump was replaced since the explanatory text says that my concern was verified and "Pump was replaced." It is likely that in this case the hoses were pinched off when the CHRS pump was replaced. That is OK with me since the original coolant still has plenty of remaining service life.

14. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How did you get them to acknowledge the CHRS pump noise in AZ in mid-April? I thought -and my own '07 experience has been that- it is mostly noisy during the winter.

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is true that the CHRS pump tends to get noisier in cold weather. My car's pump made plenty of noise even in moderate ambient temp.

16. jamiesimko

jamiesimko New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    WOW! I was wondering about this! My 2002 prius has bubbles coming up in the reservoir. I wonder if this is the reason I broke down yesterday! I'll see tomorrow! :)

17. tdelker

tdelker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just purchased a used 2004 Prius with 66k.Noticed this 'service bulletin' and checked my VIN. Digits 12-17 are 021390 which would appear to not be in the range of the bulletin, but it seems strange to me since it seems unlikely that the last few cars in 04 didn't have the problem, but did again in '05?

Any suggestions, or should I just not worry about it?

Thanks!

Tom

18. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your car should be subject to the LSC, and I suggest you schedule an appt with your local Toyota dealer's svc dept.

19. tdelker

tdelker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ah, it looks like it was in fact done. Toyota's online service history to the rescue!:

0615L1 11/01/2011 FACTORY CAMPAIGNS FACTORY CAMPAIGNS ~|~CUST REQU WE PERFORM THE AON CAMPAIGN. ~|~OPEN CAMPAIGN. ~|~COMPLETED AS REQUESTED. 0615L1 1.2 Parts Name Part # QTY HV ELECTRIC WATER PU 0400032528 1 SUPER LONG LIFE COOL 00272SLLC2 1 Customer

There was also something called the 90L campaign performed. Trimed pedal. Maybe related to sticking gas pedal?

20. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "There was also something called the 90L campaign performed. Trimed pedal. Maybe related to sticking gas pedal?" Yes that's why and they did mine without my permission. It had no problems before or after but geeze that was sneaky.. Supposedly in case someone installs aftermarket floor mats, they can maybe catch the pedal and floor it. I don't know if I believe this but that's what they said. I said "well I have the oem mats" they said "it doesn't matter". Then why did they cut the damn pedal in the first place??????