1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lubrication dangers of EV mode?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by etyler88, Jul 7, 2006.

1. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I did a search and did not come up with any results. I do seem to recall a thread that mentioned something about lubrication of powersplit device in EV mode.

If I have EV mode and drive two miles round trip and do this repeatedly, the ICE coming on most likely while parked, is there any issue of something not being lubricated properly?

2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I guess this issue can be resolved by letting the ICE warm up before activating EV mode. When ICE is turning, oil pressure is applied to PSD (from what I've read).

With limited distance of EV mode, this should not be a problem, I hope.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, there should be no issues with short trips like that. The concern revolved around those who added extra battery power that extended trip length on the order of 8-10 miles or more.

So far there've not been any reports of issues with those who've added extra battery power despite the lack of a lubrication pump.

That said, I have serious doubts about the benefit of driving like you alude to in your post. 2 miles is too far for any practical EV driving and will ultimately cause you to have lower gas mileage. Granting that your description is short and incomplete I'd like to hear a more detailed description of how you are using your EV mod so I might better advise you on the most efficient way to use it for that 2 mile commute.

4. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the reply. It is a hypothetical. I do not have EV mode but I am planing on moving closer to my job, one mile away. When the weather is bad I would drive. I am thinking about getting an EV thingy for this and also dream about adding a plugin option without battery modification. I did have those cal cars in mind and wondered if they reported any problems. Even when not designed to do so, chaulk one up for Toyota quaility.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not aware of anyone who's successfully added a plug-in mod without additional battery capacity being added. Serious problems with the battery ECU have resulted and it's difficult to monitor and maintain the SOC properly to avoid damage.

It's actually fairly simple to add additional battery capacity, add a plug-in charger to those and then tie them into the Traction battery so they are 'invisible' and isolated except when the car is actually in READY mode.

6. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oh yeah commute would be flat, 3-4 stops. 30-35 mph top speed.