1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lumbar seat from Four into a Two?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by SuperGLS, Aug 23, 2013.

1. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    One of the few reasons I'm considering a Prius Four is because I think the lumbar support makes the driver seat much more comfortable.

I read that sometimes these cars are all wired up the same, but that the lower models simply just don't have the stuff installed. Does anyone know if that's the case with the power seat (and in particular the lumbar support)?

Sure it would look funny to have one softex seat and the rest cloth, but I wouldn't care if I could buy a Two for much cheaper and then pick up a Four seat from a wreck at some point.

I'd only want to do this though if I just had to swap the seats. Not interested in splicing/wiring anything myself. Thoughts?

2. bathala

bathala Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    $8 solution and your wallet will be happy (y)

[​IMG]

3. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hah. No, I couldn't deal with that.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I love my mesh insert.

Mine was even cheaper, $1.00...Dollar Tree.

Great in Summer, keeps back cool.

Laugh all you want....but those are nice.

5. NoMoreNow

NoMoreNow Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Op,
    I have PrII too, and using the Mesh Lumber Insert like bathala & Electric Me. And added one more item a Gseat Ultra by Gelco. One the best combo together for me.

20130822_020609.jpg

6. wotcher

wotcher Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    why don't go for broke? sfv dropped the significantly better ct200h seats in.

7. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I went ahead and just bought a Four. wotcher, still interested in the link to that post if you have one.

8. greg-maine

greg-maine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am considering buying a 8 way power seat from a wrecked 2012 Four and put it in my 2012 Two. The Two has all of the fuses and setup, but not sure where or how I would get the needed wiring to plug from the seat to the rest of the system.

Any thoughts on this?

I have been considering that or adding Lumbar, heat, and gel to my existing seat possibly in conjunction with a leather upgrade.

I just ordered the Gseat Ultra and the wire mesh, to buy me time on the decision. I have driven the car for 31,000 miles and my tolerance for the seat is wearing thin. Had I realized, I would have just bought the Four from the start, as I drive 22,000 miles/year.

At this point, just want to eek out time until a Gen 4 PIP is available where the fuel savings would cover part of the upgrade cost, or another manufacturer creates a better choice. I hear that Tesla will have a Prius price point with a 200 mile range full EV.

Greg

NoMoreNow likes this.
  9. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you can get the seat out of a Four then the same place with the seat should have the harness too. Are you completely sure the rest if the wiring is in place?

10. greg-maine

greg-maine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I'm unfortunately not sure. My dealer told me that no one can guarantee that they can get the needed parts. After spending too much time on techinfo toyota com it is not clear if the missing cables are even orderable. At the moment, I'm looking to retrofit my existing seat. Going to wait until the Gen 4 PIP are available, but by then will have clocked 60K miles or more, so hoping that NoMoreNow's cushion suggestion combined with a lumbar add-on will make the situation more tolerable. As I get older I'm less tolerant of a non-ergonomic car. Hopefully these issues will be fixed in the Gen 4 PIP or perhaps Ford or Tesla will offer a better option in that time frame.

11. NoMoreNow

NoMoreNow Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got hurt last year at work, two factured-disc on lower back. Since then my lower back never the same, get discomforts in short drives. Since working in the Air Lines field, I handles all-kinds of wheelchairs. And been noticed they always seating on a rubber or gel type cushions. One passenger suggested the Gseat was best cushion he ever use. Took his words, so I brought one and work along with mesh lumbar. Now I can do long drives with no discomfort.
    Again, everyone body's is different, so this works for me and may not for others.

12. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  13. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am 6'2" and had a back ache after several hours driving in our 2012 III despite moving the seat all the way back. I Purchased one of those mesh type lumbar supports and it felt "too much" for the first few days driving but then broke in a bit so it became more like medium support and evened out that inward curve at the base of the seat back. Pumping the seat up several centimeters also helped correct the seating position for more comfort. Good for long drives now. Good luck!

14. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Greg,
    Did you (or anyone) determine if an electric seat will plug into a non electric OEM Prius. I have a 2013 Plug In. I have added a 3/4" thick piece of neoprene which works OK. But a friend just came over yesterday with her 2014 Plug In Advanced and that adjustable lumbar support is GREAT. That was my first experience of it. (She did not even know it was there :) )

I would be very willing to try to get a junk yard driver only, both fronts or all from a wrecked Prius for the right price. From reading this thread, it seems the Four*, Five*, 'V' and Advanced PiP came with electric Fau leather seats, right?
    *optional on Fours and maybe Fives?

I am very interested if anyone has either added the adjustable lumbar (factory or aftermarket) to their 2010 + Prius. Or can point me to threads where this has been done.
    Thanks