1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lumbar Support - Only Package 4 and Up (sigh)

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Lottamoxie, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I currently have a Gen 3 Package IV. I did not have to take a nav option to get it (yeah), it has the leather seats and lumbar support. Lumbar support is my holy grail feature and it only is available on package 4 and up. I don't even care about the leather that much. I never want the integrated Nav system or rather, I don't want to pay for it.

I want lumbar support and no nav system. I don't care about other entertainment system stuff either. WHY can't Prius have the ability to upgrade the Package 2 or 3 driver's seat so it has the lumbar support? Why Toyota, why?

2. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Years ago you could buy a car a la carte, there was a list of individual options you could add to any car. You actually ordered the car you wanted and some were put on at the dealership.
    Then they started the package thing and that changed things so in order to get the options you wanted you had to pay more and go up to a higher package than what you wanted just to get that power seat with lumbar support.
    There are a lot of dealer installed items but they are mostly cosmetic items that the dealer makes mucho money installing at the dealership.

RCO likes this.
  4. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you for the info. I had a separate cushion for my lumbar when I have a 1994 Civic hatchback, but it was a PIA because I always had to reposition it after getting into the car.

What I want is an integrated lumbar cushion, inside the seat, where I can increase or decrease the amount of air to the cushion. Why is that so "premium" for Toyota? Everyone wants to ride comfortably and back support for the driver (and to a lesser extent, front passenger) is a primary issue.

5. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What this type of package policy is doing is driving (pun intended) me away from the Prius altogether and maybe away from Toyota altogether. I'm simply not going to buy a car that has a bunch of high end features I neither want nor need. A $2K Nav/audio package? no, just no. I have a Garmin GPS and my smartphone. I don't need the Nav, and I certainly would never pay the premium price to have a substandard Nav anyway.

But lumbar support integrated into a seat...that should not be premium. The power lumbar option is what should be premium, not having an adjustable lumbar cushion integrated (with a manual knob to change the amount of support). It's just so ridiculous to me.

RCO, Tideland Prius and Since2002 like this.
  6. Well when I had my Prius c, with no lumbar support, what I did was I picked up a $6 faux leatherette seat cover from Walmart, strapped it around the seat, then I wedged a throw pillow between the leatherette and the actual seat so that I could position the pillow wherever I wanted the support.

reddogpatch likes this.
  7. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you referring to Gen 4? (or Gen 3?)

If it's Gen 4, Lumbar support is on the driver's seat of ALL Prius Gen 4 here - but, to be honest, the seats aren't particularly good, and the Lumbar support adjustment is barely any improvement..

RCO likes this.
  8. IAPrius

IAPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I understand how the packages can be annoying - but I'm pretty sure the only manufacturer to do the ala carte options was Scion and well....

RCO likes this.
  9. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are only do many times one can say, "They all do it."

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    and MINI and smart. US and German manufacturers do have a la carte options as well but the list is getting shorter with each vehicle generation.

Packaging allows for a lower overall cost of the vehicle (both for the manufacturer and for the consumer). It sucks if you don't want those features but it's a bonus for those who do.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  11. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Back in the '60s it was common - I remember you'd be able to tick the
    • heater
    • Auto
    • Power Steer
    • Disc brakes
    • bucket seats
    • leather
    • radio
    • alloy rims ... etc
    Now it's packaged into what the marketing guys think people will want - inflexibly. Some cases it's crazy.

I was checking out FORD FOCUS having had 2 good FORDs before, wanted top model - yes, and it was even available with a proper 6 sp Manual. When I test drove it, it rode as ROUGH as GUTS - came with low profile rims/tyres (had driven base model which rode very well). Can I buy this car with the tyres from the base model - NOPE. LEXUS CT-200h was the same - to get RADAR Cruise and a few other goodies, had to go to the top model which had Low Profile Rims/tyres too (even rougher than FORD).

pilotgrrl and RCO like this.
  12. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe, the marketing guys should ask more people about what they do want, instead of making SWAGs about what they think people want.

alanclarkeau and RCO like this.