1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lutz throwing around 500K vehicles like the Volt a year (in a few years) # again

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cwerdna, Jul 18, 2008.

1. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    GM builds crappy cars. THAT'S their problem in a nutshell.

It's funny to see them attempt to "fix" imaginary problems with no results to show. Ah .... make a better auto (see Toyota) and people will line up for it. Build crap, and only a few misinformed grandparents will. Hence GM's dilema today, and tomorrow. :rolleyes:

... Brad

2. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When starting a sentence with "if GM is lying about the Volt", you can easily replace the word "if" with "since" for a more realistic sentence.

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Let's see how well GM stacks up against Toytota hybrids now -

Malibu hybrid - 24 mpg city/ 32 highway starts at $24,545

Camry hybrid - 33 city / 34 highway starts at $25,650

------------------------------------------

So, GM is banking that series hybrid is the way to go in the Volt. I wonder what kind of performance numbers they are getting to date.

Meanwhile, several small companies have already converted Prius' to PHEV versions (Calcars, Hymotion, OEMtek) and are getting over 100 mpg equivalent on the road ... today.

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A "very simple text only page' can easily harbor Malicious software . . . and as Google has said in it's warning, "Of the 3 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 2 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent."

Two out of three is VERY bad odds for you.

And since you have said, "When in doubt, it's always better safe than sorry." WHY haven't you updated/upgraded to Firefox 3? It is a better and safer browser, and has some nifty new features too.

Firefox web browser | International versions: Get Firefox in your language

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    That was back in May.
    We're headed for August now, & Toyota has come to their sanity, saying they're going to shut down a lot of their truck / land barge opperations, just as GM has shut 'em down.

Family of 5? Last time I checked, the Prius does have 5 seat belts. And the last time I checked, the average family was 4.

6. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Right - so my point is, the geniuses at Toyota don't seem to be that much more brilliant than the geniuses at GM.

As for the seating in the Prius, have you ever used a car seat in the back? I'm guessing by your answer, probably not. There ain't a whole lot of room in the middle once you put even one car seat in the back, let alone 2 (which would make the middle seat completely unusable). So like I said, if you have 5 or more, you are out of luck.

Car seats, though a great safety innovation, have inadvertently increased the size of vehicles driven by many American families. Even in a large 5 passenger vehicle getting 3 across in the back seat is a challenge with a car seat in place. Not to mention, not very safe for the passenger whose head happens to be right next to the hard plastic of the car seat.

7. aliendroid

aliendroid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It was funny reading threads on hummer forums that were full of ignorance and reading a thread in the prius forum talking about it.
    Same with the commins diesel pickup forum.
    Then again there are people like Brad here who is just as ignorant and who proves that priuschat is full of the same kind of thing as the hummer forums

8. aliendroid

aliendroid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Change a good sentence with something a moron would write, no thanks.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Latest is that the Volt will be closer to $48,000 and GM will ask the government for a $7,000 rebate for plug-ins.

How much you wanna bet Toyota will be ready with a plug-in Prius and it will be priced lower than the Volt?

10. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's great if GM pushes Toyota to fast-track it, don't you think? Competition is good.

11. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that GM has already been assured by its friends in Congress that a tax credit of at least $5000 will be available for buyers of the Volt when it debuts. Otherwise they wouldn't have already mentioned a price of $40000 a couple of months ago.

Net price to the buyer ~$35000 which isn't too lofty. Now if the PHEV Prius also debuts at the same time and it goes for $38000 as an 'upper trim' Prius then the net to Prius buyers will be $33000-ish.

Scenario..
    Package 2-4-5-6 Prius' with NiMH technology are the mainstream Prius' ranging in price from $23000 to $30000. Then a limited number of upper trim Prius using Li-Ion technology @$35000.

OR....

Maybe the new 'Lexus Prius' gets the Li-Ion technology first in MY 2011 and goes for a price of $40000.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Go to a GM web sight for 'truth'. Wow. Are you kidding? Believe something from the people who still lie about crushing the EV1's? Here's the most recent lie from GM (though it's really hard to keep up):
    "The Volt will be built in the U.S.A."
    Meanwhile, Monday's Business section of the Orange County Register had a huge article on how the Volt (if/when it ever gets off the test track, and, a body made with less drag than a parachute) will have its most expensive component (appx $10,000.00 ~ the batteries) made in either South Korea, or China (sorry I can't navagate their web page to find the on line version). American Car? Sounds like GM is trading dependence on Oil, for dependence on battery technology.

Why hasn't Wagoner been fired yet .... THAT'S the real question. GM had the most efficient EV battery in the EV1, and what did GM do? Sold the patent rights to Chevron, who has sued anyone who tries to make replacement batterys for the remaining cars that need replacements. You gota love it.

13. C.RICKEY HIROSE

The $5k Tax Credit has nothing to do with manufacturers announcing if is $40k or $35k . The tax credit is individually filed for a given purchase year. GM does not get any credit for the $5k, buyers do.

14. Picasso Moon

Picasso Moon Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well then you are going to be driving that Prius (although I doubt you really own one of them ferren cars) for a very long time :D

If GM ever does produce the car, they become available to the masses and you can afford to get one I must say you are a truly brave soul. With GM's wonderful record of new technology rollouts like the Vega aluminum engine (which set aluminum engine acceptance in this country back 20 years), the 350 small block diesel (which killed diesel acceptance in the US), cylinder deactivation (you remember the Caddy 8-6-4 fieasco), you are in for a very interesting ownership experience.

Luckily, when GM screws this up at least the hybrid concept will be thoroughly proven by competent manufacturers with over a million hybrids already on the road.

15. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please...

I understand perfectly well that the manufacturers don't get the money directly from the government ( IRS ), however they do get it directly from the customers at the time of purchase.

It's why the manufacturers push so hard for the tax credits. They get their asking prices upfront at time of sale.