1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Luv m'Pri but what is so geeky special bout Pri features?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lucyjeanne, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't get Toyota's decision to add folding mirrors to vehicles abroad and not to NA vehicles. Take the Camry for example, the current generation we get here has fixed mirrors while European and Asian models get power folding mirrors. I think it's due more to the narrower roads they have over there and the parking spaces that require the use of folding mirrors

2. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Re: Luv m'Pri but what is so geeky special bout Pri features

Tried to attach a picture of the Garmin 2620 installed in my Prius but something didn't work so have uploaded it to "Album" general pictures for anyone interested. No I do not get a cut on the sale of Garmins :D just very happy to pass along information on an alternative NAV system that works for me. From the information I've gleaned here it seems that the 2620 has all the same bells and whistles except inertial DR.

3. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My '04 has folding mirrors, as did my "made in Japan" 95 Odyssey. I think the container ship theory is a lot better than the small parking space theory. If you have to fold the mirror in to park the car, you wouldn't be able get out!

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Back to geeky things and tying that to the Fly by Wire, I found something last night. Just to see what would happen, while stopped at a stopsign with no one in sight, I decided to hold the brake and hit the gas.

Nothing.

It would seem that Priapus simply disregarded my wishes. I've never been more happily surprised to by ignored before. Just shows one little way the car's programming will keep you from doing something inherently stupid. I'm sure there are many others I will never find. Another reason why I love this car.

5. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Gee, that means we can't sit at signals and race our engines so the guy next to us knows we plan to beat them off the line at the green! :cry: ;-)

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Hmm... older Japanese vehicles in NA had folding mirrors. Our 97 Corolla had them... as for the shipping theory, if that's the case, how come our 02 Camry doesn't have folding mirrors if it's shipped from Japan (early 02s apparently were from Jpn, later ones were from US) but the exact same 02 Camry had folding mirrors in Europe and Asia

7. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

My theory is that the folding mirrors are another example of Toyota expressing their support for "greenery". They have the mirrors fold so as to not cause harm to cyclists who get crowded against autos. This encourages bike riding and thus little or no pollution. :wink: :x :( :D
    that's MHO & I'm sticking with it. :mrgreen:

8. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Is it possible that the mirrors were designed to be folded in to reduce drag and improve streamlined airflow? I'm sure the Toyota Engineers were only trying to support the Geekyest of us who wish bragging rights for the highest possible fuel mileage. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Probably not, I don't think it's legal to drive with your mirrors folded. I think I'll stick to the narrow street reason. Cause if you park in Asia along the roads (and in some countries, road space is at a premium), you'll have to fold them to make sure no other car swipes them off or if you need to park the car really close to a building in some small alley downtown. :)

10. VARedDevil

VARedDevil New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

The purpose of the folding mirrors is probably something inane like not breaking off if someone runs into them in the parking lot, or that you can fold them in when you go through an automatic car wash....I know it's not geekish or contributes to aerodynamics, but that's probably why they fold. If I remember correctly, my Bravada's mirrors folded both ways, forward and backwards, if they were hit in the parking lot. Many times I came out and my mirrors on one side or the other were collapsed.