1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mac OS-X / Vista Gain Share

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TimBikes, Jul 14, 2008.

1. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Fair enough - to each their own. I like to plug the laptop into the big screen on occasion and the HDMI serves me well.

2. ranchogirl

ranchogirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I use both. Mac at home, Windows at work.

I also have Parallels at home so I can install XP on my Mac. If I should so desire.

I'm a long time Mac user, gosh, since high school when I used an Apple 2E, then a Macintosh, then a Macintosh II - you get the picture. First computer I bought as an adult was a Macintosh Performa. I loved that thing. Then I had a G3, then a PC for 3 years. Haaaaaated it. Now I have a Macbook and I will never go back.

My dh is a computer guru - an AVP of IT for a large financial institution - and he wants to buy a Mac. That says a lot. :)

3. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  4. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Of course, if you bought a mac you would have one of both :D

Run parallels and you can even run Mac, XP and Linux at the same time and at native speeds. Or just use boot camp and you can dual boot to windows. I find it funny that the MBP running XP has become one of the bench mark machines on a number of the PC sites :p

Of course once you run Mac OSX and discover the power of the terminal you may never run anything else again :rolleyes:

Rob

5. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Or.... VMWare Fusion.....

6. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Or you could run OSX on a PC and have a right mouse button as well. :p Oh wait, Apple will not allow you to run OSX on anything but Apple hardware due to their greedy license. :eek: Oh well since OSX is nothing more than a glitzy front end on Linux anyway, might as well stick with the original. :D

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's very simple to configure an Apple mouse to do right and left clicks. Not that it'll change your mind. ;)

8. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As both a Mac owner and Linux user, I'll vouch for that. It's like, 3 easy steps to configure a Apple to do both right and left clicks.

1) Go to best buy or circuit city, buy a proper mouse.
    2) Replace Apple mouse with proper mouse.
    3) Place Apple mouse under tire. Enjoy.

Of course, my last Apple mouse was the... hockeypuck... which was the poster child for bad ergonomics.

9. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a good idea with a desktop, but kind of spendy with the laptop (just kidding) :D

10. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes - it's easy to do. But that still makes the Mighty Mouse the most unergonomic, clumsy, irritating, counterproductive mouse I have ever seen. Ever. What a shame for the company that popularized the usage of a computer mouse. The single button acting as two buttons is worthless, the shape is worlthless, and the two-direction scroll ball is worthless compared to a single direction scroll wheel (much too small). The whole thing is a victory of design over usability.

Fortunately, the Macbook Air has one of the best touch paths I have ever seen.

11. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That is, unfortunately, a common problem with a lot of Apple products.

12. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This is decidedly untrue. Its all the usability in addition to the good design.

13. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I own both a mighty mouse and a logitech MX 1000. What I did was to use either mice for a month and see which one was most painful to change from.

In the end the mighty mouse won and that is my everyday mouse. This is entirely subjective so I suggest you test mice long term before making a decision.

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pardon me, I seem to have stumbled in to a climate change denier's conference by mistake. Sorry for the intrusion. Bye.

15. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Really?

I've got this Mac Cube sitting in my basement. It's not a bad machine, and I had souped it up a bit in years past. However... it's totally a case of form over function. All ports on the bottom, meaning you either buy a USB hub and have wires sticking out (which was what they were trying to avoid) or tilt the machine over every time you need to swap a USB device. It's got a great passive cooling system which throws a fit if someone puts a sheet of paper on top of the machine. I could go on, really I could... but it's such a gorgeous box.

The Air is the second coming of the cube.

Er, maybe Apple just builds things to be disposable. Really expensive, yet disposable.

16. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Do we really have to cite all the examples of badly designed non-Apple PCs? The cube was so distinctive it was obvious what you were getting into. When they sold the cube years ago you could also have bought a regular desktop if USB port access and putting papers on top of it was so important.

17. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't know much about computers and operating systems.

But when Vista first came out last year, I bought two laptops with Vista on them.

Within a couple of months after being put in service, both laptops had operating system or software problems (mainly problems with screen resolution and shutting down), and had to be brought in for repair.

And ever since Vista Service Pack 1 came out, I seem to get odd gliches when on the internet.

18. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you want... but to go ahead and say that Apple is beyond bad design is just untrue.

And the major cube problem... the power switch would freak out in certain lighting conditions. Now that, Alric, is a huge design flaw. :)

19. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I decided to go for the - so to speak - full Apple treatment, and I only use a wireless Mighty Mouse for my Macbook Air. It's very simple: the more I use it, the less I like it. Initially, I thought that it looked great, and that the dual function scroll ball was genius (especially together with Cover Flow). Now I realize that the scroll ball simply is too small to work comfortable, and that the lack of a tactile feedback is unacceptable.
    The whole concept of hiding two buttons after a single one is a joke: you cannot leave your left finger on the mouse if you click right with your middle finger while leaving your pointer finger on the surface. It's just wrong. If you want two buttons, then make two buttons.

I think die-hard Apple fans would do themselves a big favour when they realize that they don't have to defend everything Apple makes. Every now and then, they miss it, just like any other company. The Mighty Mouse is not a good device, as numerous reviews confirm.

20. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just don't like generalizations. In this case, Apple is touted as a bad company because of:

One PC model
    One mouse

I use whatever tool is best suited for my task.