1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mac OSX experts: Parallels Desktop v. VMWare Fusion

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by apriusfan, Jan 25, 2008.

1. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The one thing that has me questioning Parallels (or VMWare for that matter) is a quote that Godiva provided questioning the speed of XP Pro running in the Parallels environment.

Any speed issues with Vista (Business or Enterprise) on Parallels?

2. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You can do that in VMWare Fusion too. Don't know why you'd think that is a unique feature, it's a very reasonable expectation that these virtualization products allow you to control how the virtual network adapter is connected to the real network.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't available in VMWare... As i've stated previously in the thread, i don't have any experience with that product - i specified Parallels because i didn't want to imply that every virtualization software available had that ability when i had no way of knowing if it was true or not...

4. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't have any personal experience with these products on OSX, but I have heard from several sides that Vista runs faster on VMWare, and XP does better on Parallels.

The virtualisation technology used by VMWare is currently a hot issue, mainly because it allows to run several virtual servers on one physical machine, and it has very good tools for transferring images across machines. This allows for sever hardware consolidation, and is rapidly becoming the next big thing in IT. Cool stuff. So, VMWare definitely is a big player and will likely become bigger in the future.

Incidentally, I was wondering if any of these companies does the opposite: have a virtual OSX running inside a PC. Since it has been done with Linux, and OSX is also compiled for Intel, it should be a rather straightforward thing to do. But it turns out that both companies say that they won't do this, because the license agreement for Mac OSX explicitely says that it should only be run on a Mac computer. Still that nasty little habit of Apple, having everything closed...

5. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Apple recently changed the EULA to allow Mac OS X Server to run virtualized - but only on Apple hardware. That is mainly to allow Leopard Server to run virtualized on Xserve, but I guess you could run it on regular Mac OS X too. Both VMWare and Parallels demonstrated this at MacWorld.