1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Macintosh or Personal Computer

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by XravenX, Mar 9, 2005.

?
  1. Mac Non-OS X

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Mac OS X

100.0%
  3. PC: Windows 95, 98

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. PC: Windows ME, XP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. PC: Linux

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. PC: Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. fjef

fjef Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Well not quite - see http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/26/vi...rus64bit_redux/

Like the Mac OS X virus that never developed beyond proof of concept, here is a similar example for the AMD 64. Nothing to worry about today - but nothing is impossible. Well maybe a virus-free 32 bit PC is impossible....

2. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Enhanced Virus Protection DOES NOT do anything useful. Please research before you decide to post again.

The first virus to "penetrate" EVP was in August 2004.

EVP is designed to limit the number of buffer overflow exploits. It's still susceptible to them.

There are virii on just about every consumer level OS.

Why wasn't one of the options BSD? I realize that a lot of people would lump Linux in with BSD... but frankly, BSD is far more reliable.

3. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

There are so many of these polls I can't use. There is no choice for Mac and PC. I use both and if I could get that hack to run OSX on my dual Zeon PC with 12GB RAM I'd be in heaven.

4. Cocoatreat

Cocoatreat New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i have been a pc girl for yrs.....but last yr i bit the bullet & bought a nifty 15 inch powerbook with all the whistles.......i'm loving it........3 mos later i went on the dell outlet & bought a refurb .....
    i use them both........ which do i use more??? probably the powerbook.....once u get the hang of it......it just works! i have a wireless home network......& i guess i feel a bit more safer with the mac.....its not as compromising........but the refurb runs well too........it has been my best pc so far......
    ....so i guess i'm lucky......i have the best of both worlds! :p

5. jangus

jangus New Member

I've got 5 Macs...

PowerMac 8500 running OS 9.2

PowerMac 8600 running OS 9.2

PowerMac G3 running OSX Tiger

PowerMac G4 running OSX Tiger

PowerMac G5 running OSX Tiger

Networked by a switch through Ethernet with a Direcway 6000 Satallite on the roof tucked under the old-growth redwood canopy in Southern Humboldt where the creek is flowing by.

6. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

while i am decently proficient with a mac, i don't own one, and haven't since the apple II. thats right, II - not IIe =P i do a lot of graphics work on macs, but thats about the extent of my ability

on pcs, however, i used to be pretty darned good. i build my own computers (am building my first with the new AMD 64 processors, i'm excited!) and do a little programming. i put up with microsoft because it gave me excel, which i think my life might be meaningless without.

oooh, my turn for a poll! just got excited. stay tuned =)

7. benighted

benighted New Member

I use Linux mostly (SuSE 10.0 [x86_64])

8. benighted

benighted New Member

I'm sorry to hear that. I had Direcway for almost 2 years before cable was availiable, wasn't much better than dialup. The worst part was their "(un)fair access policy" If you download more than 160MB in an hour they cut you down to dialup speeds. It made downloading my linux ISO's impossible.

9. bookrats

bookrats New Member

That's pretty much why I left the Mac in 1990, and ran Windows at home for 15 years. If you're maintaining a machine in both places, it's a lot of work to keep abreast of both OSes.

Now that Linux is my main OS at work, I've switched back to Mac OS X at home. (And luvvin' it!)

10. bookrats

bookrats New Member

My own experiences have pushed me away from Win2K, from two directions.

I found NT 4 more stable (a lot of the security holes in Windows were introduced in Win2K, and have been carried into XP -- 2K introduced a lot of the underlying code allowing corporation Help Desk personnel to either view or control a Windows box in the company, for support purposes. But by George, naughty people have used it as well! :lol: )

On the other hand, I find XP to have the best and most intuitive UI of any Windows platform so far. And I truly and deeply hate the 2K interface. With a passion.

11. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Tough choice on this poll -- I had to, in truth, answer Linux, because it's my primary work PC. The Mac is the only computer used at home (besides Heidi's Windows for Workgroups 3.11 -- long story there.) And I use the computer at work more than the one at home.

(Cannot wait to climb unto a high place and cast down my old XP box! CRASH! BANG! (I wish it would explode like those cars that go off cliffs in old A-Team episodes.)

However, the Linux box is the first computer I've used in years that I haven't maintained myself. We have a wonderful genius who does all the Linux support -- I just use it. (Been using Unix derivatives for almost 30 years now.)

Makes me a little nervous not to have that foundation of knowledge underneath; but I am getting dibs and drabs of Linux support knowledge here and there. Also got myself a Knoppix boot CD the other day -- what a great Rescue Disk tool for both Windows and Linux boxes! It made an XP hard drive recovery much easier than it would have been with the XP Rescue Disk.

12. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Ah that's interesting bookrats! Since Linux and Mac OS X are both very unix-y underneath, that makes sense...

Myself... well I've got Windows at work, Windows at home on my gaming machine, Linux at home, and a Mac which I still try to use for most everything at home....

Yeah it's a lot of work to keep abreast of everything!

13. dafut

dafut New Member

I dual boot my AMD 64 laptop w/ Gentoo and WinXP...so I gave the Linux-side a boost. And seeing as I support 150+ servers running one or another Linux derivitives, that's another good reason.

The comment re "BSD"? The Mac OS X runs on the FreeBSD base; does that count?

I'm pleasantly amazed at the number of Mac/Prius owners...that's cool. I've always loved the Mac (my first computer was a Mac 512...back in the day). And believe my next laptop will be a Mac.

G5 Mac's? Probably more like i686 Mac's will be next. Pray for the day when the Mac OS will be transportable onto ANY modern computer, be it G-series, Intel x86, AMD, or what have you. Apple has done the best GUI for a *nix based OS out there...or should I say of any OS?

14. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

The first Intel based macs should be based on dual core and single core Yonah mobile processors.

Don't hold your breath that Apple will sell Mac OS X for any old PC... They must pick their fights wisely, and directly challenging Microsoft that way is NOT the way to do it...

15. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I agree; but I am looking forward to seeing one thing on the new Intel-based Macs:

Virtual PC running at native speeds, without PowerPC emulation of Intel instructions.

Zoooooooooooom! :blink:

16. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Im' Mac enabled here at work and at home I use a PC. I love my Mac G5 and have no problems with it. I used to have a Mac at home too but my daughter says that its harder to use and she wanted a PC because she can download music and do chat rooms easier plus software is more available for a PC. I should not have listened! I do neither chat rooms or share files, but BofA only supports PCs for home banking so I bought a PC running XP 2 years ago. It got so hosed up I had to do a complete wipe and resore it. Then, I tried to download updates and service pack 2. I gave up after 9 hours of fooling around and just brought the PC to a computer guy for help. 205$ later I get the old XP <extra problems> machine back wiped clean. It's only been on the web an hour to get Windows updates and anti virus updates. It has already gotten many spyware and a couple of virus infections already. I told my daughter it's the music downloads using Limewire. She refuses to accept responsibility for totally screwing up the computer and says its my fault.
    I just yesterday bought another AMD duel core PC for my wife and I to use <password protected> and gave the wiped compurter to my daughter so she can hose it up again. <sigh> I wish I could just have a Mac and be happy! No more PC junk!!! :rolleyes:
    -Paul R. Haller-

17. benighted

benighted New Member

No need to buy anything just take the PC she has now and install Linux on it, all of the important stuff that requires root privilages is already password protected. It's also immune to spyware and viruses.

http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=02/03/09/1727250

http://www.opensuse.org/