1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mac's Moving!... and he needs your help ;(

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by macmaster05, Mar 25, 2012.

1. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    States only require you to pay sales tax on newly- or recently-purchased vehicles. He's had his Prius for several years. In Maine, for example, the "transfer" cost would be a title application fee.

Here's PA's take

PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services - New Residents

1 person likes this.
  2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Management Accounting Rule 1: history is bunk.

Because both the car and its net present value can be put to much better use by not taking it.

3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    One idea not mentioned so far is that you could leave your Prius with your father and take his beater to school. A Pittsburgh winter would be cruel and unusual punishment for a California car...:fear:

If there's any way to manage it, I'd advise keeping your car registered in CA. You'll probably have a series of addresses, and notifying the DMV of every move is just one more hassle you could do without. do not know if PA is a CARB state, but the longer warranty in CA may be worth maintaining.

I went to school in a college town where most students walked and/or took public transit. Since I lived with my parents about 6 miles away, I had access to their cars whenever I needed one. As parking anywhere near campus was insane, I generally took public transit or a motorcycle to school. I do recall that having wheels available made me particularly popular with the wheeless set.

1 person likes this.
  4. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After some serious reflection and mad soul-searching, I decided to decline Pittsburgh in the end.

Instead, I'm going to USC!

It was a difficult decision, to say the least. Thanks for all your input in this thread. Hope to see some of you in SoCal.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congratulations - I suppose you will bring your car then?

6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well about time you came to your senses man! :D

Admittedly a choice in school is pretty much dictated by what you want to study, and who offers the best in that field of studies.
    The second set of rules that determine the choice is ...
    1 - What is the lowest temp during the winter, are there deposits of white stuff laying around the ground!
    2 - The distance to a nearby warm sunny ocean beach in January!
    3 - The percentage density of beautiful women per sq/mile! :)

Welcome to SoCal, when you get down here, we will have to do a meet & drink up!:D

7. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As I've said before, Pitt has a great biomedical research program and is considered one of the top schools in the field, so it was very hard to turn down. The dean, faculty, and students were also all really open and nice, even on the day I declined.

But with USC I get to stay in California. It's a well-known school over here and the program still has some good professors I'm interested in working with. Ultimately, it came down to a personal preference; having family close by was an aspect I had forgot about that for a long time. Plus I've always dreamed of living in LA.

And yes, I'll definitely be taking my car. It feels good not to have to pay to ship it cross-country or spend a few thousand to buy a new one.

8. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All the best mac. You'll do great. If you need any moral support in the next few years, you know where to find me.

1 person likes this.