1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mad Max V

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Gene Floyd, Jan 2, 2023.

1. Gene Floyd

Gene Floyd New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I recently learned about the Prius's ability to run the climate control with the engine off and about the same time discovered the v, before that I thought there was only one model of Prius. I travel with my dogs and often camp in my car or have to leave my dogs in there so having the space and the climate control for them became a huge priority. I rented one earlier this summer and drove down from Atlanta and fell in love with it... I even used it to mow my lawn at home because I had turned the utilities off while I was traveling and have an electric lawn mower and weed eater along with a 2Kw inverter... I can actually use this car as a backup generator/battery charger for my off-grid properties in Florida and Washington. It also turned out to be much bigger than my Impreza inside, I can actually carry the dog crate in the back with the back seats up whereas in the Subaru they always had to be folded down.
    I recently found a 2013 V but someone had sanded all the paint, we think in preparation for repainting and been interrupted. For $4,500 it seemed like a steal because I could really care less about looks anyway. I'm on the bus now on my way to pick it up about 3 hours from my home. I test drove it the other day and taking it to Pep boys before I pay for it for a used car inspection.
    In fact this is an advantage, I do post-apocalyptic pre-enacting... Look up Wasteland Weekend on YouTube to see what I mean. I always had trouble understanding why people drove such big cars with mini guns and such in a time of scarcity... To me something like a Prius VW Diesel with mechanical injection always made much more sense. So this Prius can also double as my post-apocalyptic vehicle.... Hopefully not for real, but at least for events and such.
    Throw some ideas at me, if you were building such a vehicle what kind of things would you think of? It was black before the paint was handed down so probably just plasti-dip the whole thing flat black or maybe even black chalkboard paint so it can be written on.
    You can see it at

#1 Gene Floyd, Jan 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
  2. Gene Floyd

Gene Floyd New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    [ tried to fix all the typos (I'm riding on a moving bus so there's a few) but ran out of time as apparently you can only edit for 15 minutes. I was going to say that I'm also into Eco-modding so I can see some aerodynamic modifications creeping in there as well... Perhaps fenderskirts, disc wheels, and a more pronounced kammback

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe go white to reflect the florida heat?

4. Gene Floyd

Gene Floyd New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'm a travel nurse and snowbird, I'll be in Washington in the summer LOL

Big part of why I wanted this car was it it cost me almost $2,000 in gas to drive my van here from Washington. It'll be cheaper to leave my van in the South and live in it when I'm down here and then stay in my camper out west and just rent a U-Haul to move it and drive the Prius back and forth

#4 Gene Floyd, Jan 2, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2023
    bisco likes this.
  5. Ford Galaxie

Ford Galaxie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    After I bought the station wagon, I was going to paint my 2014 Prius in Krylon military flat Olive green this summer. The neighbor borrowed it for a week, wanted to buy it and made me an offer that I decided to take him up on.

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Never sell to someone you know

Never sell to someone you know

Buy an extra hv battery, brake booster, inverter and engine. You will also need Techstream for troubeshooting and brake flushing after replacing the brake booster. Also plenty of engine oil.

#5 rjparker, Mar 9, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2023
  7. Ford Galaxie

Ford Galaxie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    20221124_152437.jpg Already been there. Hybrid pack replaced with Nexcell Lithium. New heater core- THAT's the most painful intensive job on that vehicle. A brake actuator, a motor and a hybrid battery is a walk in the park compared to a heater core. A heater core on a Prius Gen 3 is exactly the kind of job that I would want my worst enemy to do. Along with a few other things.

It runs on 215/75R16 (27") on Corolla S 16X7 wheels with about 2" of lift and Firestone airbags. The sidewall is fat enough not to gouge the wheel. Zero road rash.

206K with a 38K 2019 Gen 4 long block.

The wagon is getting set up similar- still working on it- with 255/40R18's. It's a very nice very low mileage car, so no camo/military jobs on this one. It's not going to be the mule like the sedan was. Even though it has a lower final drive ratio, it's a heavier car with the same motor and I've scaled down somewhat for what I need to haul.

Some cool ideas I had toyed with to get that military/ suedo Mad Max look was to run some Charger/Taurus cop car steelies with the poverty hubcaps and 5X4.5" wheel adapters, but the weight is a killer (30lbs). Any tire on it would put in well into the 50's. The wheels alone weigh almost as much as a 15" Prius wheel with a 195 tire. As it is my Corrola S 16X7's with a Bridgestone weigh in at 41 pounds, which isn't too bad- the OEM 17's on the wagon with a Cooper tire weighed 47 lbs.

I had also considered American Racing Wheel Torq Thrust D 5 spokes (the all time classic hot rod wheel ) . I mocked it up one weekend with the set I have on my '63 Avanti, but the offset and the adapters would put the wheels about 3" outside of the body and require trimming the front fenders, although I did figure I could get away with 225/50R 15's on a set of 15X8.5's if I wanted to pull it off.

Weathertech molded floor mats
    get you close enough to that cool rubber floor /no fuss cleaning like what you find in a fleet truck today. Used to be the norm before they all became soccer mom trucks.

The Rhinoliner spray can products that you can find at AutoZoo work well for detail parts. I did the tire well area in it, but expect about 2-3 days to dry- and that's in the south.

The hood and the lower rockers are done in Krylon satin black. Pretty good straight out of the can, but if you are patient you can get a nice smooth low gloss look if you let it dry for a week and wet sand with 1200/1500- people think I wrapped the hood. I did the back spoiler with a can of Dupicolor gloss black lacquer, waited a half an hour, wet sanded with 1500, and installed it with no buffing.Picasso would have been in awe.

I also have aluminum skid plates on both vehicles.

With the sedan- I also pulled a trailer with a 2" hitch. 1600 miles round trip with a Uhaul 5X7 going to shows, over a mountain in 90 degree weather with the Schneiders and JB Hunts at 30MPH. 23-27MPG. I've done that about 8 times. I also have no issue running local business with a trailer. Only unless I'm lazy will I use my old Chevy truck. Probably 40K-50K of this vehicles life pulling. I'm torching brakes around 60-70K and I pull the hub bearings when I do the brakes (Brembo's or genuine Toyota parts). CV joints have been fine. I also run an oil cooler. I'd run 62 mph max, so I'm basically crusin' with Schnieder and the JB Hunt.

I had also toyed with building a pipe bumper on the sedan for the front and ditching the nose cone. I drove it for a while without the front bumper cover after I changed the engine. It nuked about 4-5 mpg and you really feel it pushing wind on the highway. If I was pulling the trailer on the highway, I'd put the nose back on.

Regardless, if I had kept it would I have done it? Yeah, I would have. Why? It would have been a no fuss mule car. Scratch it?- no worries. A trip to Lowe's fixes that problem. Bump a sign? The sign loses. Curbs are no longer an issue. No more popping the spoiler edge. Just drive over them. Possums? Just put another check mark on the bumper.

With all this said, I still offer the caviat kids please do not try this at home. I've done some really hard and cruel things to this car- I've pulled a trailer out into the woods with this thing with an inverter, disabled traction control, cleared 10 acres of land- all while driving it to and from work sites every day. What also appeared to be the worst three year old former lease vehicle I could have bought from CarMax ( I'm not sure what was worse- the masked dogh$it smell and the hair, the soiled diaper odor or the cockroaches that had to be rectified with dissasembly, repeated cleanings and an ozone machine- at least it wasn't upholstered in apartment complex tan inside) it gave me the self sufficiency to no longer be a 9-5 W2 wonk, buy a house and give me a property to run a business on as I lived in this car for about a year in 68 degrees of hybrid powered glamping. Homelessness at it's best. Tip- if you want to live among nature, then move there. It's cheaper. and you don't have to go get a gym subscription to take a shower. Glampers are not living a lifestyle. They're just telling you a lie.

I've had a lot of fun with this car yet I have never compromised it with cheap parts, half $$@ed craftsmanship or neglected maintenance. I had to replace the rear axle in it from my offroad forays, yet the only cosmetic damage this vehicle has suffered- 2 front and 3 rear bumper covers - was done by $$@holes in parking lots. It also never experienced as much as a dent or a door ding.

Besides it's made me a lot of money. At least 62.5 cents every mile. You want Mad Max? This is the car you want. At least for a while, as at some point everything made after 1973 will serve no purpose. Talk the smack as they may about Prius’s, yet Nobody is going to find the plastic parts or the tools to rebuild their 9 speed transmissions in their Fiat trucks either.

#6 Ford Galaxie, Mar 18, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2023