1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Magnetic oil drain

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by CSuirp, May 28, 2019.

1. CSuirp

CSuirp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hey all. I have a 2014 Prius c. Has anyone installed a magnetic oil drain plug in their prius c? Im interested in doing this but cant seem to find one that is specd out for this car. If anyone knows accurate specs on the OEM plug we currently use OR knows of a good one online that direct fits, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
    Ps...im not looking to do ebay on this part. Something from a brick-n-morter reputable company is of interest. Thanks!!!

2. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Here is a related forum link. Why do you want a magnetic drain plug in this application? Any metal should be caught in the filter. Magnetic plugs are normally used in transmissions or gearboxes where there is no filter.

Magnetic Drain Plug | PriusChat

#2 jb in NE, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
  3. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just think of all the sub 15 um magnetic particles NOT caught by the filter. You could catch those for free.

Pixel XL ?

4. frenzee

frenzee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Neodymium magnet on the side of the oil filter may accomplish the same thing.

5. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Or hang one on the drain plug?

6. CSuirp

CSuirp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hey guys. Thanks for replying! So, i'm kinda on the fence now with the magnetic plug. Here's my pros and cons:
    Pro: For preventive measures. I understand that most of the engine is aluminum, but, like Mjoo said, there could be some micro metal particles floating around in the oil that may be caught by the plug.
    Cons: If there is build up on the magnetic end of the plug, that build up always has the potential to maybe break off, which means what was once tiny un-unified metal sludge particles can change into a small micro ball of metal traveling through the engine, which can be more dangerous than tiny loose micro slivers.

With regards to putting neod magnets on the oil pan...i'm not sold that that's a great idea, simply because of the Cons above that i mentioned, but now tripled since a bigger magnet will potentially attract more metal (good thing) but they could break off as well and cause even more groups of metal to be traveling through the engine, making matters worse than they were before. Not to mention crossing your fingers when you remove the magnets at the moment of oil change, hoping all the metal that was once on the magnets will fall into the oil and flow right out of the plug opening. Yeah, i guess you can just put the magnets back on again to "re-catch" whatever didn't drain out...but still...u may have clumps of metal sludge that band together which weren't re-caught and now flow through the engine a few rounds before it gets back to hitting those magnetic strips or circles again on the pan.

With regards to putting neod magnets on the outside of the plug...i wouldn't...simply because the neod magnets are strong...and definitely would magnetize the whole plug...but that's the problem i think...magnetizing the WHOLE plug. I don't think we want that b/c that means the particles of metal sludge will attach to the THREADS that are on the plug which is submerged in the oil pan. When you go to remove the plug, your going to be grinding the sludge metal on those threads into the thread grooves and possibly making it difficult to get the bolt out easily...or back in easily. That's why the magnetized part on plugs we see online are on the end of the plug...not the whole plug itself. I'm just trying to use common sense with this one.

With regards to putting neod magnets on the filter...possible...i was going to do this and may still do it. The only place i would put them would be on the SIDES of the filter, NOT the bottom. Reason being, i've read that the good oil filters have a bypass or something on the base of the filter which functions by a spring. I don't know how it all works and why, but it's a bypass of some sort within the filter and if a magnet is places under the spring (at the bottom or base of the filter), it could retard the spring from actually working...possibly pulling the spring towards the magnet or restricting the spring from operating correctly. So, for me, no magnet on the base of the filter. The only other spots would be towards the top of the filter, not going past the middle area of the filter. If the magnets are at the top area, then there's still room for a filter wrench to grab the base of the filter without messing with the magnets. The idea is to keep the magnets on the filter intact until it's totally off the car, thus removing the particles with the filter.

Anyway...those are my thoughts now...sorry for the rant. lol. Share your ideas :)

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Does the Prius c transaxle drain bolt have a magnet, just curious? Gen 2 Prius does, gen 3 does not.

CSuirp likes this.