1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Main Battery - to replace or not to replace.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AFFriedl, Jan 31, 2019.

1. AFFriedl

AFFriedl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings,

I've driven my '07 from 100,000 miles to its current 256,000 miles and have enjoyed having very few troubles with the car. Only recently had to repair water leaking in back of the roof (easy fix).

The main battery is now reporting failed and the car is sluggish as expected. But almost at the same time the codes are reporting a bad catalytic and I hear a puttering exhaust leaking sound from under the car. I just drove to have the windshield replaced and the engine began revving very high with almost no power to the wheels. I had to stop, turn the vehicle off and wait until I could drive again.

Inside and out it still looks like a new car but the trifecta of problems combined with the mileage make me wonder if the vehicle is worth the problems. I can do the battery myself, but not the catalytic nor what is cause the high engine rpm and loss of power.

I need direction on the possible causes of the high RPM and would you folks consider this a repair or simply end of life vehicle.

Thanks.

2. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Post your DTC's assuming they were pulled by Toyota, an OBD reader that is fully compatible with the Pri or Techstream. From there I'm sure input can be given for you to consider fixing what you have or to cut and run.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is really a philosophical question. For me, the car is toast.
    For others, it’s just broken in.
    All the best!(y)

edthefox5 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Please post any DTCs/codes, as things work smoother for everyone that way :whistle:
    Since your profile doesn't show where you're from, it is hard to make recommendations (please update your profile). Generally if not in CA or NY you can find various new and used catalytic options starting around $100 plus installation. You also don't mention if the engine is using/burning oil or not, and given the puttering sound from under the car your Catalytic may be plugged. If possible, take it into an exhaust shop and have them put it on the rack for a free inspection, everyone needs work this time of the year.
    You should 'do the battery', then your high engine rpm will go away. Regarding the cat, when was the last time the spark plugs or fuel injectors were serviced?
    The high RPM is caused by the failed battery (which DTC was that again?). Without going into detail, I would start by confirming I have a hybrid compatible OBD2 code reader, which will offer a better idea of what the HV battery problem might be (which module is failing, etc), then remove and clean the HV battery fan, then pull the HV battery and figure out what the problem is and fix it

For me, this is a repair :coffee:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As SFO said, the power loss is a symptom of the failed hybrid battery. When there's no battery the Prius shows you just how little power the engine makes over all the bands and why it's a hybrid. It needs those electric motors working in tandem with the battery for storage to work as a real car.

Also as SFO said, unless you're in a state that requires brand new and original style cats and does an inspection on them, you can find aftermarket new and OE used for very cheap. I believe it's just CA and NY that have such restrictions. If you're in CA or NY, then I'd probably consider junking it. Outside of there, I'd fix it.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The cat probably failed because the engine is eating alot of oil. If so your looking at an engine replacement too. In the meantime your pummeling ("engine ran high with no power to the wheels") that little motor to continue to drive at the same power level your used to instead of babying the car since its in limp mode.With no battery participation its an anemic little go kart.

Be aware many reports of battery explosion after continued use with a failing battery. Loud bangs reported and dead car. So there's that.