1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maintaining Speed on grade and CVT

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Mobalized, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Mobalized

Mobalized Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So I knew the prius was doggy before buying, and it has more get up and go on hills then my 94 Honda Del Slow. But... It struggles to maintain speed over small inclines in the road without constant pedal adjustment. Obviously climbing a hill I expect to ease into the gas more. But even at 50 mph over a short rise the cars speed falls quickly and requires the pedal to be depressed more and more. This is the only car I've owned that has required this much adjustment. Is this because of the cvt?

2. cary1952

cary1952 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    welcome to the world of the prius. So many owners learn the value of the cruise control on the prius. Try to use it as much as possible.

3. Mobalized

Mobalized Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aka the only way to maintain speed without hawk eyeing the speedo

4. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Keep in mind that you will almost always sacrifice mileage using cruise control.

5. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think that's a quirk of the Prius and not necessarily of a CVT. That's why there is PWR mode. That'll save you some foot pressure. Hondas are usually light touches while Toyotas need a heavier foot. That's been my experience anyway.

iPhone ? - now Free

6. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Every car I have ever driven needed more gas to go up a hill. If you have your Prius in ECO setting then you will need even more pedal travel to maintain speed. Try the power setting if you want to have less pedal travel.

7. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Since the Prius engine speed and road speed are completely unrelated, cruise control is your friend. In "conventional" vehicles with either a manual transmission or a locked torque converter, a change is road speed can often be detected by a change in engine tone. The Prius engine is fairly noisy and its tone means nothing.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Perchance, have the other cars you've owned (except the Del Slow) had 6 or 8 cylinder engines?

If you try to push a car up and down the hill, you should find that it takes far more power to maintain a given speed uphill than down. With an engine that efficiently produces power with little wastage, this means considerable adjustment to the pedal.

Old style engines are very wasteful, and that waste is quite variable, depending on conditions. That variable waste filters out some of need for pedal adjustment, more so with larger engines. A consequence of Prius' much greater efficiency is far less natural filtering.

ftl likes this.
  9. Mobalized

Mobalized Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Every car I am comparing it to is a 4 cylinder, I won't compare to my Sti because that isn't fair. But the 100 HP Del slow seems fair.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But if they are all Atkinson cycle engines, they still have that wasteful and variable drag that causes some load filtering.

11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would floor my Mazda GLC about a mile before the Peasley Canyon on Washington State 18, and be doing 80 MPH at the base, but once I was 2/3 up I had to shift to 3rd and never got above 35 again until I5.[​IMG]

The Prius is way more powerful.

12. Mobalized

Mobalized Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not even venturing into talking about large hill climbs, because quite honestly it's a prius I knew what I was getting into on hills. Plus it's no worse than the Del Sol there. However, I'm talking about small short sections of increased grade. It's the only car I've encountered that can hit a small knoll and require constantly more pedal. On inclines I'm either accelerating or decelerating no constant speed.

13. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Which is why I do not watch RPM's but I do watch MPH. Cruise is a good thing but it will cut 10% or so off of your mileage...especially in hilly terrain. Most of the driving methods are easy vs. higher mileage.