1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

maintenance cost on 150k+ mile used gen 3

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Mike234h, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Mike234h

Mike234h Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Looking to purchase a gen 3 with 150k-200k miles on it. Are there any major services or parts that have shown to go bad up in this range. Am I looking at any $1k+ likely repairs?

I understand anything can go wrong and higher risk with more mileage but just curious if from past experience there has been a common theme of issues with this amount of miles.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes. the biggest issue is clogged egr/oil burning/blown head gasket. see pertinent threads.

brake actuator and inverter are secondary, but fairly prevalent here.

battery is always near the top of the list after ten years.

all the best!(y)

3. Paul Cisneros

Paul Cisneros New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking into one as well. It's a 2013 Prius Two I believe. Good price at about $5800 so there can be some room there for repairs.

What would you estimate the costs for the things you mentioned?

If these Priuses when they get old are burning oil I know that can be an expensive repair. Also, the battery replacement is an expensive repair as well.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

how many miles on her?

at the dealer, egr is a grande, brake actuator $2,500., inverter is very unusual, but there is the whole concept of safety, which has no fix, and a battery is $2,500.-$4,000.

diy with salvage is free, $200. and $2,000. in that order.

5. mikey_t

mikey_t Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Which year are you looking at buying? I'd look into the warranty for the hybrid battery. In California it was ten years or 150k miles, and about a month after I bought my 2010 the battery needed replacing. Thankfully at 145k miles it happened just in time.

Less fun, I also needed a new water pump as that died too. I'm also due for new spark plugs and various fluid changes. If you're handy you can take care of most, if not all, of these things yourself. Otherwise the water pump was an expensive service, around $900 at the dealership. I also cleaned out the EGR and it was a major pain, but as mine was completely clogged it needed to be done. If you're looking at one with 150-200k miles you should be look into cleaning that as well.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

When looking at photos/actual vehicles, pay close attention to coolant level. If the coolant is low, the head gasket is already leaking.

The Critic and mikey_t like this.