1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maintenance cost

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by H.S., Jul 5, 2017.

1. H.S.

H.S. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So I took my car in for the 35k maintenance which cost 159.98 plus a brake flush for 159.98 and three part fuel injection service for 289- adding my total way above $500 at Toyota Santa Monica in Southern California
    This seems really steep and expensive- is there any alternative place in Los Angeles area that doesn't charge this high? It seems the maintenance is way too much for a car at 35k
    Help..

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Time to learn how to do "basic" car maintenance yourself or find a more reputable shop.

While I agree with the brake flush, that should have been done for $100 to $125. A lot to dealerships just suck the brake reservoir out and top off the fluid...so be careful. The "three part fuel injection service" amounted to nothing more than pouring some crap in the fuel tank...if they did that. What was included in your 35K service...other than wheel rotation, oil/filter and the the 2 air filters? A reputable shop will do the trans fluid, oil/filter, brake flush, rotate, wiper blades and both air filters for less than you paid.

#2 frodoz737, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    at 35k, toyota recommends a tyre rotation and safety inspection. are there any triple a local mechanics or the like? should be around 50 bucks.

where have you been going for the last 6 service intervals?

4. H.S.

H.S. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    All my service are done at dealership because I would assume the parts and service is better but the price tag is really haight vs what I can afford. I'm trying to see how other people have been doing so, beyond self maintenance which knowing me I won't be so good at-
    So places or mechanics or dealers at better price quote cause 160$ for maintenance and 160 for brake flush is just way too much not to mention the fuel injection service. How much should I have paid for that? And where can one find a better priced/ quality maintenance as such?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can call around for other dealers prices if you don't want to go to an indy, but you're getting suckered with all these unnecessary services. read your owners manual, it's written in plain japanenglish.

6. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For me, personally, theToyota owner's manual / maintenance schedule -- shows all the factory-recommended services for my Prius. That is the first place I look for needed maintenance. Take the book with me, and show the service writer. I don't let them upsell me.

On the other hand, all car dealers make up their own maintenance schedules because that's how they make money! They add all kinds of (usually) unnecessary services, and stick it to the owners. If you just follow the factory maintenance schedule that came with your car, you should be fine. (Some guys choose to go way beyond that, and that's their choice.)

Just my humble opinion, but I don't think you needed a brake fluid flush or any type of "fuel injection service" on a car that is only two years old. Buy good quality gas like Chevron, and you probably won't ever need to do that. (Not until your car has 100,000+ miles on it.) And I agree with the other poster, they probably just poured a can of cheap fuel treatment in the gas tank. Go buy your self a bottle of Techron and pour it in. :)

I only deviate from the owners manual in one regard, and that is I have my oil changed every 5000 miles instead of the recommended 10,000 mi interval. I live in a very warm and dusty area, and take many short trips. I also change the engine air filter and cabin pollen filter myself, every 12 months. It's very cheap, easy to do, and mine are filthy after one year.

#6 CoastRider, Jul 5, 2017
    Tyfly and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  8. H.S.

H.S. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The dealership guide is very similar to the warranty booklet- the issue is pricing- and I need to find another place or auto shop based on others experience- I wouldn't know what do solely by myself or how I'm not a car expert

Attached Files:

9. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't believe the dealer is similar. What Toyota vehicle is that for?
    Look at the Maintenance Schedule that Prodigy posted. That's all you need. He is very helpful in posting the Owner's Manuals and Maint Schedules. Thanks PP.

One of the main reasons I bought my 2016 Prius, is because it is very low maintenance. It was a big selling point. And the less maintenance, the less money going to the dealer service department. :) To each his own.

#9 CoastRider, Jul 5, 2017
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry, the dealership services you mention are not in the toyota spec. not sure what you're looking at.
    if you look at the 35k maintenance in the manual prodigy place posted in #8, the only thing that isn't an inspection is tyre rotation. unless you're using the severe service guide.

#10 bisco, Jul 5, 2017
  11. H.S.

H.S. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota Prius 3 gen 3 and I attached the dealers service according to maintenance schedule which isn't far from the pdf

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'd say it's about $450. away.:p

13. H.S.

H.S. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You mean I could've paid 150 dollars to do all the 35k services with the brake flush and fuel injector?

14. H.S.

H.S. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'd love to know more how you guys go on maintaining the car at a cheaper rate- specific auto shops or specific help teaching videos or any tips helps instead of the constant "you got screwed" responsss :)

15. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Here are some great videos to help you down the DIY route:

Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos

Happy watching(y).

Robert Holt, N.J.PRIUS, H.S. and 2 others like this.
  16. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Really? Where in the owner's manual/warranty guide do you see fuel injection cleaning? $289 totally not required. Where do you see brake fluid flush in the owner's manual/warranty guide? $160 totally not required. What was required, according to the owner's manually/warranty guide was rotate the tires, look at everything else with a flashlight, and if not using 0W-20 synthetic oil then do an oil change. A reputable mechanic would do that for $100 tops. You got taken to the cleaners. Read YOUR owner's manual and warranty guide - NOT the dealers!

Tyfly, N.J.PRIUS and Lightning Racer like this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @H.S. The dealership schedule you posted is a very generalized, all-model schedule. I mean cmon: rear differential?

Read up what your vehicle needs, in your vehicle docs. You can also download at Toyota tech info site.

The only two extras I'd consider, possibly tri-yearly for either, is brake fluid change or transaxle fluid change. Neither should be over $100, both are DIYable.

I'd second suggestion to watch @NutzAboutBolts videos, pinned in maintenance forum.

No. There is an in-depth brake inspection at 30K miles, the first thus. Typical is just a visual inspection, per this:

upload_2017-7-5_21-34-43.png

But the wording changes at 30K, and subsequently at 60K, 90K and so on, to this:

upload_2017-7-5_21-35-57.png

Toyota is VERY cavalier in the their descriptions, that might be part of the confusion. But any and every car on the road needs perdiodic, in-depth brake inspection, regardless of pad/shoe thickness.

#17 Mendel Leisk, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    N.J.PRIUS and Raytheeagle like this.
  18. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There isn't any major services until 120k miles so I wouldn't worry too much. Just periodically do minor services and inspect your vehicle parts for wear and tears.

19. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm surprised the dealer didn't charge him $200 for rear differential oil change on a prius!

And, OK...... the in depth brake inspection....while they have the wheels off doing the tire rotation, take two bolts off the calipers and pull the pins out of the brackets, slap some lube on them and put the two bolts back on. I guarantee that's what the dealership would do at 35,000 miles, especially on a Prius that doesn't use the friction brakes 100% of the time.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  20. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is a duplicate posting. The site posted my comment twice. I thought I changed the second one but the first one changed. I reported it to the moderators to delete but they chose not to.