1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maintenance done recent HV battery replace triangle back

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SanGregprius, Jul 29, 2020.

1. SanGregprius

SanGregprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi Folks

I've replaced the inverter pump last year, 12v is fairly new reading 12.5, installed a refurb green bean battery a few months ago now I've got Red triangle, red car exclamation, and check engine light on.
    The dash lights went off and I couldn't turn the car off as well but got it off and dash lights back on after some finagling.

I've checked oil and added a 1/3 quart as it was low(needs a change) coolant fluid is a touch low. Otherwise drives fine. I then unplugged 12v for a few min and went for a 5min drive and all sings stayed off.

I'm a 30min drive to town to pick up the OBD ii reader tmrw and that is also where the auto parts spot is. Wondering if okay to drive? I'm not sure what else could cause major damage for driving if the red triangle etc come back on.

Thanks for advice.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As long as the car is drivable it should not be a problem. (You might need to disconnect the 12 V again before you're done.) You need to get an OBDII reader that is capable of reading all of the Prius ECUs, not just a basic one that reads the engine, ABS, and (sometimes) SRS ECUs.

Use the code reading service at the auto parts store if they have one and if they can read all the codes like the HV ECU and battery ECU then get one like that.

Another option would be a BlueTooth dongle and a phone app like Torque Pro or Dr. Prius. Check with those app's website for a recommended dongle that works well with them.

Once you have the codes, share them here for more direction.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what is the process of applying for green bean warranty?

is the burden on you to prove it is bad, or do they come out and check it?

4. SanGregprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Good question. I've sent in an email.

5. Bobbytwotaps

Bobbytwotaps Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    SanGregprius think about getting a Mini VCI off Amazon with TechStream. It's awesome, it allows you to talk will every sensor in your prius for a pretty cheap price. Just bought this one and successfully fixed my car with code and help from SFO on this forum.

This is the one I bought. You need a portable laptop with windows 7, 8.1, or 10 I believe.. 64 or 32 bit. It's pretty easy if you know how to update drivers. A lot of people that have zero computer knowledge say it doesn't work but it does. The seller will even do it for you if you feel comfortable enough to let them connect to your computer. I just followed the directions it came with and was up and running in 5 min. Good luck.

6. SanGregprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I don't have a PC so I bought the $100 OBDii blue tooth with the blue driver app. No codes showing. No stored codes show either.
    I tried using it on my older sprinter and I don't see the stored codes that I know are there with my Autel diaglink reader.
    Must not be a very deep reader.

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, are there still Error lights on the dash? If there are lights there should be codes, if there are no lights there will not be any current codes.

The blue driver should be able to read All Prius codes. You may need to check that the correct model Toyota is selected. I'm not familiar with that app, so I can't give you specifics.

Some models of Autel are Prius capable, have you tried yours? This is presuming you have the one that can load multiple make/models and is not just a basic reader.

8. SanGregprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks for reply.
    I cleared codes then yesterday codes came back on. I got the P3000 and P0A84. I clear codes again and they stayed off for the rest of my hour drive home.
    I heard the rear HV battery fan, though I think it was a little quieter then normal.
    When I changed the battery, there was some corrosion on a connector and I had to reset a wire. (I can't remember all the details if it was on the fan but I know it was back behind rear passenger seat)
    I'll be able to check the fan and connections next week. Thanks for any advice.

9. SanGregprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Anyone know what this plug is for? Could it be causing my codes?
    I don't have the car with me but know it's back towards the fan assembly. Trying to prep for when the car comes back if this could be the problem.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If I'm remembering right, there are existing threads about the battery fan failing due to corrosion at a fan connector, leading to codes about the battery fan. I'm even thinking the connector photos in some of those earlier threads looked kinda like that one. :)