1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maintenance, miles or months?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by slfare, Jun 5, 2014.

1. slfare

slfare Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I've had my 2014 Prius Four for about five months and it has about 3,800 miles currently. I was scheduled the 5,000 mile service for June (this month) back when I purchased the car, but I have not reached 5,000 yet. My question is, should I wait until I reach 5,000 miles or should I service the car this month? Ideally, I would like to take the car in for its milestone service when the odometer is close to said milestone. I don't put a lot of miles on the car and will always have less than the number of months the major service states. I'm just wanting to know what is the best practice, your experience, or common sense.

Thank you for your input!

2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    read the manual. they included this phrase: "whichever comes first"

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. sopclod

sopclod Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Find someplace that's 600 miles away. Driver there. Come back. Problem solved.

Just kidding, this is almost always "whichever comes first". I drive about 2000 miles a month so I never have to think about it.

4. ibmoses

ibmoses Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The way the service manager explained it to me this past Monday(I just bought a new Prius) was the 5000 mile service is to rotate the tires and do the multi point inspection, check fluids etc.
    10,000 mile service will include all the above AND replace oil and oil filter.

5. slfare

slfare Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you for the input, everyone!

6. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In warranty...do the service about the time your odometer hits the mark.

Out of warranty...you can do some services whenever is best for you. Going 12K or 15K before changing oil isn't that big a deal if you are using quality oil and filters, but you don't need a hassle while the car's in warranty.

7. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My question is... Why whichever comes first? The engine doesn't have the hours of a non-hybrid with the same miles. 8 months of usage for 5000 miles doesn't cause any problems. The old "oil goes bad" story is long gone. Sounds like a good way for dealers or whoever to make more money doing service.

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    It's for the water that gets in the oil from combustion leakage past the rings. That water will corrode metal in the engine. Oh, and I'm pretty sure the 5000 mi service includes an oil and filter change. At least it does in Canada at 8000 km, the same distance.

Having said all that, Pearl S now has just over 13,000 km on her and I've done one oil change at 8000 km. In metric the next change is due at 16,000 km, which should happen this fall. But the first oil change didn't happen until just over a year (July 2013), and the one coming up will be just over a year. Max in the manual is 6 months.

So do what I say, not what I do. ;)

9. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    For all current US models the oil change interval is 10,000 miles or 12 months.

10. sprtent

sprtent Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    San Jose too eh? I'm planning a trip to southern cal this weekend. What you say we swab rides. Promise to bring yours back to you at 4999 Sunday evening ;)

A local Lexus service adviser told me I had up to 18 months to do my complementary 10,000miles/12-months service. Brought my former 13 GS350 in at 8000miles and 15 months.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Honda has a system called "Maintenance Minder". It's not just passively counting the odometer; it monitors various factors, and counts down in %, then displays a maintenance code. For owners with extremely low mileage, there's the following proviso in the Owners Manual, might be worth considering:

If the message "SERVICE OIL" does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the oil every year.

12. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I understand the water idea, however, that's why its best to let the ICE get to full temperature each time you use it. Water build up in an engine that runs hot for reasonable periods of time, I don't think so. The change oil every year idea in the previous message seems reasonable.

13. ibmoses

ibmoses Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    GM uses a Oil Life Monitor on the Corvette LS engines. I think it is based on an algorithm they developed that uses engine RPM to detemine when the oil needs changed. The LS3 in my Corvette will easily go 10,000 miles before the OLM says it is time to change but I have never waited that long. I usually change it around 7,000 miles or so. They also recommend the oil must be changed once a year irregardless of the mileage.
    On the other hand.....vehicles set on GM lots for several years sometimes and the oil does not get changed

14. dj2big

dj2big Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought mine a little over a month ago and just did my 5,000 service.
    It is recommended to do oil change at 10,000 I went ahead and did it at my 5,000 miles and will continue to do all my oil changed and services every 5,000 miles

The only question is on my service they put Toyota Synthetic oil but the service rider said they use Mobile 1 synthetic

iPhone ?

15. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't know about you guys, but when I take mine in for the 5K maintenance, I am going to request a oil and filter change. I have read too many oil burning stories on Gen III's that are using/burning oil before 100K. Sure, they can change the schedule all they want to. And yes, the can run synthetics too. But twelve months is a long time especially if you have short trips. Read the manual. Most drivers will need the oil and filter changed every 5K. Only those who drive highway with long trips in areas that are NOT dusty really will qualify for the 10K OCI. It's all in the manual guys...

16. dj2big

dj2big Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with you 100% i just gig mine at the first 5,000 miles

iPad ?

dorunron likes this.
  17. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Interesting your service distamce 8000kms, ours is 10,000 in Aus.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oil spec is different in Aus too, is it not? Thicker? Canada is 0W20, year 'round.

19. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Toyota dealer service depts have been told to use 10W-30 but the manual recommends quite a wide range of synthetic grades, depending on the operating environment. 0W-20 would probably be a bit thin in most Aussie environments.