1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maintenance needed at 100,000?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Prius11and20, Sep 3, 2021.

1. Prius11and20

Prius11and20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've been reading different threads, but would like to get clear on what maintenance I should have done on my 2011 Prius with 94,000 (soon to be 100,000). What is important to get done to extend the life of the car? I've read enough to think that not everything that is recommended by dealership is needed, but want to be smart about it also. I had all the maintenance done at the previous intervals because it was under warranty.

My car runs well, except for a ping after start up until it warms up and I accelerate, especially on an incline. After car is warmed all up it mostly completely dissipates. Would a can of Techron 1 be smart? Should I be buying a higher octane gas? Is it something I should have the dealership look into?

My situation now is that I leave the car for a period while I am in another state, and have been doing so for some time. Hasn't seemed to create any issues. It is trickle charged before I get back, and tires checked. Anything else I should be thinking of? Actually have another Prius in the other state too...a 2020.

I know these are more than one query, but any good recommendations from those who know Priuses pretty well would be appreciated. I'm hooked on them after 10 years of ownership of 3 of them, and want to keep them going strong into the future without breaking the bank doing unnecessary things. Thanks in advance!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Follow the Toyota USA schedule, add a transaxle fluid change and brake fluid change.

Just curious: are you having reg brake inspections? Toyota recommends 30k or 3 years, but this seems near-universally neglected.

oh and EGR/intake cleaning is due, more info in my signature.

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hope the ping isn't the start of a head gasket issue, but get the egr done, that is the most important thing right now.
    then you will have eliminated it as a possibility. if the ping doesn't go away, perhaps someone else will have ideas.
    if you don't have toyotas maintenanceschedule (comes with the car) go to toyota.com/owners.

ignore the stealership recommendations

Prius11and20 likes this.
  4. Prius11and20

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    By regular brake inspections, do you mean what they regularly do with oil change, or something different? Had all required maintenance done until warranty ran out, and now just oil changes and tire rotations. I will ask them to do the EGR/intake cleaning....they seem so busy these days it's like pulling teeth to get in, but will try and push for these things to be done. Mostly concerned about the ping.

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah. At tire rotation, the mechanic purely eyeballs the brake system, nothing more. But Toyota "hints", way too subtly, at a more in-depth inspection, every 30K, if you read through the schedule. They don't use the term "visual", and do mention checks of rotors. It's poorly written though, and easily overlooked.

I think both dealerships and owners "enable" each other, choosing to mutually ignore traditional brake inspection. They should take the caliper off the rotor, remove, disassemble and clean the pads/shims, clean/inspect all points of contact, clean/relube the caliper slide pins, relube pads/shims and all contact points, and reassemble. If there's any question of rotor issues, they should be checked for thickness and runout, against spec.

This typically runs about $300~400.

6. Prius11and20

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the replies....I'm heading back to that Prius and am once again trying to figure what to do. I thought of buying a new one, but they're near impossible to find, and so expensive. People always say these cars can go 300,000 miles with hardly anything being done...I know that's just what people like to say, but always makes me question what truly needs to be done in the way of maintenance.

If the dealership is saying that the brake pads are at 5 does that mean they should be changed? And thank you for the further advice on brakes. I do get confused, as so many say that they regenerate with braking, and don't need changing that often. Is there a way to discern whether the brake pads do indeed need to be changed by the feel of the brake?

And as far as the EGR, is that a recommended remedy at this point anyway, and could easily take care of the ping problem? Just trying not to throw a bunch of money into a car I only use for half the year that isn't necessary. But also want to feel safe driving the car wherever I need to go.

Thanks for any further insight into this and helping me make decisions about what I should do about this 2011 baby of mine that I truly want to last a long time, especially as I said with it being so difficult to get new ones. Thanks again.

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Service limit for the brake pads is 1 mm, spec'd in the repair manual (excerpt attached). The fronts on mine are around 6 mm now (at 93K kms). Still, that minimum is kind of like tire tread depth: just because you "can" run them down that low, doesn't mean you're obligated to. I checked them just this spring. 3~4 years from now (barring trade-in) if I check them again and they're around 3 mm, then I might change them. Both for safety, and: once you go to the bother of inspecting them, if they're that low, might as well.

Not cleaning the EGR system seems to invariably end up with a blown head gasket, anywhere between 150K and 250K. Paying the dealership to do this will be an (expensive) excercise in frustration; it's best to DIY. It's labourious but doable, for next to nothing but time and effort, some rags, various cleaners. At 100K you might want to replace the intake manifold gaskets, which are pliable material. The EGR components are all metal, pretty durable. More info in first link in my signature.

Attached Files:

#7 Mendel Leisk, Apr 25, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
  8. Prius11and20

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello Mendel....thanks for all your help! So regarding the brake pads I should have nothing to worry about for a bit, even though they seem to insist I should put new brake pads on since they've never been done and are down to 5. I am a female that does no car maintenance on my own...have a lot of talents, but fixing cars isn't one of them! So I rely on mechanics, and particularly the dealership I purchased this Prius at since I don't know any other mechanics there that I trust either in the area. You're saying you would feel entirely comfortable with 5mm and brake safety at this point, but as you say if they get down to 3/4 might be good to change? Will the brakes feel a certain way when I can tell they are not safe perchance?

Also, thanks for further info regarding the EGR cleaning. My situation is that I leave the Prius for about 6 months a year, and I do wonder if that gunks up the system more. I am somewhat concerned about this pinging situation mentioned above, but since will not be doing any of the work myself am wondering what the best thing to do is. I was thinking of trading this in, but with current inventory issues and costs, am thinking I can hopefully get through this 6 months with the one I have. Why is having the dealership do it an exercise in frustration exactly....do they not do a thorough job, and might it not even take care of the problem? Is there any fluid I can put in that would help the situation? And I can't replace the intake manifold gaskets myself, and not sure I want to have the dealership do that with all the costs, etc. Are there any special instructions I can give the tech at the dealership to make sure he does the PGR cleaning correctly, or wondering what my options are, and you seem quite knowledgeable on all things Prius. How likely is it that I could blow a head gasket if I do nothing, please?

9. Prius11and20

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One more thing, Mendel....spoke with the dealership, and they said the PCR was all replaced with a recall so should be good, but that they recommended intake manifold work, and possibly the timing cover gasket. They say 2011's are known to blow head gaskets, and this would likely remedy that. Do you know anything about this? They also said I could get a diagnostic for $160 to see what the problem is. As I mentioned, I kind of just want to trade it in, but there seems to be no supply. I had always heard that these things run forever...but possibly because I leave it half the year it has compromised things. Am I overworrying, or what would you likely do in a situation like this? Thanks a bunch!

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's best to just have them inspected regularly. If dealership is rotating your tires they can roughly eyeball the remaining thickness. The US schedule does call for a more in-depth inspection every 30K or 3 years. This is typically an inspection, clean-up and relube, not replacing pads.

Everything relating to the EGR (including intake manifold) carbon build-up is easily cleanable. There is a warranty extension on this, but it requires serious, perform-on-cue engine knocking, and or a specific clog indicating EGR valve malfunction. The trouble there is by the time those symptoms manifest, it's likely progressed to head gasket failure.

Also, If you just walk in, say you want your EGR system remedied, they'll likely be loath to do any cleaning, propose to replace everything, the EGR valve and cooler, and the intake manifold. Parts alone will be about a grand, and labour maybe 3~4 hours on top of that. And this is something that should be redone, say 50~100k down the road.

Watch the @NutzAboutBolts videos in first link in my signature, look for an independent or shade tree mechanic. It's frustrating to have to go through this, but the 3rd gen guinea pigs, erh I mean owners, were the first ones to have this style of EGR. Toyota did a serious overhaul for 4th gen, based on our misfortune.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's an excellent question, and the answers could range from "gunks up the system more" to "gunks up at about the same rate" to "gunks up the system less".

We don't know that answer yet, but that's exactly why it would be a major contribution to our EGR flow test results thread to have your car's current mileage, its current EGR flow result, and a note describing your six-months-off driving pattern.

As I mentioned on your other thread, the flow test result is easy to obtain using any diagnostic scan tool that is able to do monitor status ("mode 6") queries. Another thread recently reviewed some of the options (with some details specific to Prius Gen 2, but still useful). It can be very valuable to have such a tool, even for someone who normally hires out mechanical work.