1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maintenance newbie with ? Re: tire alignment

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by JoanneR, Nov 7, 2016.

1. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought 4 new tires in May 2016 from my local Toyota dealer. The package included nitrogen and tire alignment.

In September, I went to another Toyota dealer up north to have oil changed, tires rotated, and safety check before I headed back south. One of the things they do is a tire alignment test on every vehicle that comes in now. I suspect they do this to get more alignment business. They told me my tires were off and showed me a printout with all the values. They said it wasn't bad but they were off.

My question is:

shouldn't an alignment be good for 4 months at least?

I am now thinking that maybe the local Toyota dealer guys never actually did an alignment. They never gave me a printout after the tires were put on.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Look at your dealer service paperwork, if an alignment was done, it would show.

I don't think they did an alignment, just a wheel balance. That's normally what's done with your purchases

3. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The paperwork says mount, balance, road hazard coverge $107.80. Then says 4 wheel alignment $99.95.

It was part of a package. Buy 3 tires, get one for $1. But you had to pay for nitrogen and alignment in addition to the mount & balance.

Should an alignment be good for more than 4 months?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, i would contact the aligning dealer and expect free realignment. if it's off just a bit, not going to affect your trip south.

5. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've already made the trip down south. The Toyota dealer who supposedly did the alignment is about a mile away. I will stop over and see what they say. Since they never provided paperwork for the alignment (except for the charge) and it only lasted less than 4 months, I do think they never did it.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Speak to the service manager and they'll redo it. They like happy customers

7. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're getting screwed.

New tires require NOTHING more than balancing. Alignment would be an issue IF you have unusual tire wear.

Absent a problem with your suspension (e.g., worn out parts), an alignment is good "forever" until something happens to throw the alignment off (e.g., accident or worn out parts). You should never pay for an alignment as part of getting new tires unless you see evidence of a tire wear issue. You should never need a new alignment done after one has just been done. Any time an alignment is performed, the mechanic should be thoroughly be checking your suspension to ensure you have no worn or damaged parts. There is no point doing an alignment if a repair is needed first because you'd only have to do it over as soon as you finish the repair.

8. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I got screwed then. You had to buy the alignment as part of the deal to get the 4th tire for $1. I was told there was uneven wear on two of the tires.

I will go back to see what they say. Then I think I will go to another dealer.

I'll give an update after I have spoken with them.

I don't mind naming the dealer: Autoway Toyota in Pinellas Park, FL.

Had an unsavory experience with them when I wanted to buy my first Prius. So I bought my first Prius elsewhere. My second Prius came from this dealership.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Food for thought: there's not much, if anything that can be done the rear. I believe only the camber, and that is if the bearings are taken off and a shim kit is installed? It is not trivial, not something normally done. And if I'm not mistaken, in the front only the toe-in can be adjusted.

Bottom line, just leave it be unless there was an accident that might have messed something up.