1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maintenance on a new, used Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by exmetrodriver, Jun 27, 2014.

1. exmetrodriver

exmetrodriver Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just acquired a used 2005 with 130, 000 miles. Can anyone point me in the right direction for maintenance that should be done at this point? Cant wait to give this beautiful car some love.

2. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Do you have an owner manual? If so just follow the recommendations, the 2nd 100k is the same as the first I think, however some here with more experience in the higher mileage cars may have additional suggestions, and having the previous owners maintenance records might help.

3. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    It is also a good idea to create an account at the Toyota Owners Official Web Site here where you can plug in your VIN and see what maintenance has been performed by Toyota Dealers. Unfortunately any DIY or third party maintenance entered by previous owners won't show up. Otherwise, at 130K in addition to what might be listed in your owners manual you should have the transaxle fluid drained/refilled if it hasn't been done yet and swap out the spark plugs with Denso SK16r11. And welcome to PriusChat !

4. exmetrodriver

exmetrodriver Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the welcome. I did log into the Toyota site and did see the history. I will be doing the trans axle fluid this week. Picked up the fluid today. Looks like it may have never been done. Scary!

5. writes123

writes123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    check your water pumps, drive belt, and coolant changes. also check your brake fluid (3 years max in my opinion), check your hybrid fan (clean it) also check your 12 V battery (usually 4 yr life). make sure all recall work has been done.

6. cipsaz187

cipsaz187 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Serpentine belt, spark plugs, trans fluid, engine oil, cabin & engine filters, inspect brakes.

I wouldn't touch the other fluids, but you can change for the piece of mind.