1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maintenance question - 40k brake and fuel injection flush?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by az_pip, Feb 21, 2017.

1. az_pip

az_pip Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just took my 2015 PIP to the dealership for regular service at 40k miles - as I bought the service contract with them. I live in Phoenix and am on the road a bit during the week, mostly highway driving. During their inspection, they recommended two items: Brake Fluid flush ($135) and Fuel injection flush ($140).

Brake fluid flush: I've read conflicting items on the forum as it appears that the brake fluid should be good until at least 60k, where others are listing 100k. Should I get this service? The dealership said "it was noted last time that the fluid was discolored and it's recommended you get this done". I told them I wanted to do some research on it before servicing and I didn't want to get on the hook for services the car doesn't need. I don't have the equipment to DIY it, but was wondering if a non-mechanically minded person could just remove the old brake fluid from the reservoir and replace with new without flushing?

Fuel injection flush: sounds like it is not recommended and that I could just a bottle of Techron Fuel Injection cleaner to the gas take once a month or so.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Brake Fluid ages by absorbing water from the atmosphere, Phoenix should have some of the least humid atmosphere in the country. There are test strips you can use if you suspect water contamination. amazon.com/Phoenix-Systems-3003-B-Package-Condition/dp/B00E6TXWA6

I would not bother with fuel injector additives more often than every 100,000 miles, but I buy from a station with a high turnover, less popular gas may need more cleaning.

3. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There are more important maintenance items you should be doing at 40K: Replace the transaxle fluid and lubricate the brake caliper sliding pins. These procedures are shown in the NutzAboutBolts videos, which you can find in the Gen iii Prius Maintenance and Troubleshooting section

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just follow the maintenance guide in your manual, add the tranny as rebound suggests above and ignore the dealer.

5. az_pip

az_pip Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks all - appreciate the feedback

bisco likes this.
  6. az_pip

az_pip Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well I guess I should've expected this. I emailed my dealer to ask about the pricing on transaxle fluid replacement and brake caliper sliding pin lubrication and got the following reply:

Transaxle fluid isn't due till 100k miles. Brake caliper lubrication it's not necessary until you due brakes and it is part of the job.

7. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hmmm what to do... trust the dealer or trust some strangers on the internet. I know what I definitely would not do. I'm not going to trust the dealer reaching for my wallet

Tracksyde and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is why I do my own car maintenance. You can see videos which show how to do this work, and decide whether it's something you (and maybe a friend) can tackle yourself:
    Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos | PriusChat

Neither job requires much in the way of tools, although there are a few special items you'll need to buy: For the oil change, a large funnel, thick plastic tubing and a drain pan. (The video does the fluid change with a pump, which also works and costs little). And you'll need a 1/2"'breaker bar and a special socket. Not too bad at all.

For the brake job you'll need a jack and a jack stand, and very standard hand tools. Cheaper tools work better for this, because there's a part where you need a thin wrench, and high quality wrenches are too thick.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would pass on the fuel injection flush. But: Toyota Canada recommends brake fluid to be changed every 3 years or 48,000 km's (30,000 miles). You can DIY this too, relatively easily. @NutzAboutBolts has a video on this, pinned in the 3rd gen maintenance section:

Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos | PriusChat

I did this recently, my wife helped pumping the brakes. It helps to have the car raised and wheels off, though I don't think it's absolutely necessary. Also, I modded the order from the video somewhat, works about the same. I used no vacuum tools, just a large mayo jar, some tubing, a grommet for pushing over the bleed screws, a syringe with extension, and a few wrenches. I made some comment here:

Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos | Page 4 | PriusChat

Bottom line: brake fluid attracts water, and perdiodic (time related more so than mileage) changes are warranted. Honda too, recommends 3 yearly, regardless of mileage, for a long time now.