1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

maintenance Req'd light flashing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by amberlea, Feb 28, 2005.

1. amberlea

amberlea Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've got a 2005 prius and I've put a little over 4000 miles on it so far. I noticed Friday that my maintenance req'd light would stay on and flash a few times after the car was started. I've not notice it do this before and it's still a while till my first oil change (6000 miles) any one else had this problem or know what it means? I haven't had time to look it up in my book.

2. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    *5,000* mile oil change, with 500 mile advance warning (blinking for awhile after starting car...)

3. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. The first service is at 5,000, and the Maintenance Required light begins to flash when you start the car after 4500 miles.

4. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

I just hit 4500 yesterday and noticed this little icon this morning. Hoped it was just an early warning for the 5000 mile oil change. Thanks!

After I have the maint. done, do I go into the maint. screen and enter the dates or will the techs at the dealership do that for me?

5. mspencer

mspencer New Member

Yes, they will reset the warning. If it bugs you, and you're sure you won't forget when to take it in, you can reset the flashing yourself:

(taken from John1701's PDF:)

1) With the car's power on, use the trip/odo button to switch to showing the odometer (if needed).
    2) Power the car off. (Press the power button)
    3) Press and hold the trip/odo button. With that trip/odo button held down, step on the brake and press the power button to power the car on again. Even after pressing power, continue to hold down the trip/odo button.
    4) Once the reminder light stops flashing, release the trip/odo button.

I recommend you don't actually reset that warning until you actually change the oil. The car will start counting 4500 miles from the time you reset the warning, not from the time the oil is actually changed, if you reset the warning early. That might cause you to think you have to change the oil earlier than necessary, next time the light comes on.

--Michael Spencer
    (not actually a Prius owner yet, but I've been lurking for too long. :) )

6. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mspencer: You are far too knowledgable for a lurker, do not delay, buy a Prius immediately.

7. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

Wait, mine has a screen for entering dates of various maint. procedures. Is this just for fun or does it actually trigger something next time it's time for some maint.?

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

You can use those reminder triggers for whatever you want. You are not restricted to use them for what they say. Great for anniversaries and birthdays! <insert wisecrack joke here>

Only problem is the reminders only show up if you have hit I Agree on the NAV.

9. amberlea

amberlea Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks! For some reason I had 6000 in my head!

10. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    And soon we will not have to do that thanks to Costal Dave. Amen. :mrgreen:

11. jeepien

jeepien Member

Are you certain of that? I've heard exactly the opposite, that it simply activates multiple of 5000, less a 500 mile pre-flash warning.

12. mspencer

mspencer New Member

Not at all -- I'm just parroting information. I would guess, though, if a facctory-new car starts flashing at odometer 4500, a car with that reset done starts flashing at (odometer reading at time of reset)+4500.

Wait, upon reading your post further, aren't we saying the same thing? A timer set at (5000-500) seems to accomplish the same thing as a timer set at 4500. The only difference is internal, or so it seems.

Anybody who actually owns a Prius trumps me on experience, though, so listen to anybody else. :)

13. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Dan, I haven't tried this yet, but does the "I agree" button take you to the map like it does even when you are trying to access non-map screens?

I have found that the process of setting up the the reminders and notes takes more time than I feel they are worth. In fact, I think I'll start a thread about and see if others can persuade me to start using them.

14. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

No, it goes off 5000 from last reset.

Yes, it takes you to the map. Very annoying.

You still have to request NAV for Dave's mod to kick in. I do not believe it activates on power up, though I could be wrong.

Anyone have the mod yet?

15. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Just checked the info screens. I was wrong, you do get the I Agree screen, but once you agree, you are put back to the screen you selected.

It is when selecting a destination that you get an I Agree screen when using NAV functions for first time from power up, then get placed in MAP view rather than Destination selection screen, so you have to press destination button AGAIN!

Again, sorry for false information.

16. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Whoever (you, Toyota Service, JiffyLube) changes the oil should reset the light. It will restart its 5000 mile (in the U.S.) cycle at that point. The only person who will reset the reminders on the Info screen is YOU.

I just had my first oil change Monday at 5120 miles. The dealer put a 'next oil change' sticker on the windshield - 8120 miles. Toyota recommends 5K and the dealer is pulling it back to 3K? Even the Honda dealer only pulled it back to 3750 and the Odyssey's engine was running for EVERY mile on the odometer.

I did tell the service writer I didn't need tire rotation since I just put the TTs on 1K miles back unless they needed to pull them to check the brakes (as specified in the service manual). He said there really wasn't any reason to mess with the brakes at 5K. So the oil change cost $22.90. Now I have to find time to make sure they didn't over fill the oil. I had asked him "I probably don't need to mention this, but the tech DOES know how critical it is not to overfill a Prius, right?" He gave me an affirmative, but who knows, just say 'Yes' and the customer will shut up.

17. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000\";p=\"68678)</div>
    I went to Wal-Mart Supercenter and had Mobil 1 synthetic put in, told them to trickle it in, only 3.5 quarts. They did so, checked the oil, right at the full mark. Too many dealers do not do that correct, so I took it to people who did exactly what I said.