1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'maintenance required'

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by shaggist, Oct 9, 2018.

1. shaggist

shaggist New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When the display on my 2012 Three reads 'maintenance required', how do I find out what maintenance is needed? I'm lost here.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It means you can either

A) use it as an excuse to buy a new car, or
    B) get an oil change

You decide! :)

The light is designed to turn on every 5000 miles. The light doesn't indicate anything about how your car is doing specifically, it's just to address people who file lawsuits because they want to blame everyone but themselves for not changing the oil...

To turn that light off for another 5000 miles:

Set yr odometer to show total miles not trip miles and turn off car.. Then start the car normally but while holding down the trip/odometer button. Keep holding the button as the odometer reading counts all the way down and the light goes out. Super easy!

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is a maintenance schedule in your o/m, it has recommendations for every 5k or 6 months, whichever comes first.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. shaggist

shaggist New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The display has Trip A, Trip B, and the total miles driven on the odometer. Which one will be reset by using the method described above? Will I lose the total miles driven or will it reappear after the code reset?

5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    For our 2010, you hold down the mph/kmh button on the dash as you press the start button with your foot on the brake. The display has to be on Trip A.

Had to do this tonight as I left work;).

Worked for me(y).

fuzzy1 and PriusCamper like this.
  6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Every 4500 miles, the light blinks on start up to remind you that you will need maintenance soon.
    By 5000 miles since the last reset, it is solid and never goes off.

Once you have done the 5000 service, you can reset the light for another 4500 miles. Raytheeagle mentions what works for him above. the owners manual tells what works for you. (should be the same as Ray)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The warranty and maintenance booklet lays out the what and when of maintenance. If it's missing you can download from Toyota tech info, in the manuals section.

I'll upload a spreadsheet translation of what's involved tomorrow.

Do note: it's miles OR months, whichever comes first.

Also, there's a few items not in the schedule but very worthwhile to do, namely: transaxle fluid change, brake fluid change (in Canadian schedule), and once in a long while: throttle body, exhaust gas recirc and intake manifold clean. Plus oil catch can install is beneficial.

As well, full brake inspection IS in the schedule, every 30k miles or tri-yearly IIRC, but sadly overlooked/ignored by a lot of owners.

8. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please don't mention the warranty booklet, the owner's manual and everything else that may help us figure the easiest of questions out. Truth is we need to avoid all that solving our own problems stuff. What's most important is to feel clueless and helpless and find a social media forum to do all the hard work for us. That's what works best right? I mean what would I do every day if I couldn't solve other people's problems on Prius chat?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe steer someone to the Toyota info AND impart a little extra info or comment? The middle ground.

PriusCamper likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's the info from the Warranty and Maintenance booklet, condensed into a chart. For me, going through the exercise to create this was more-or-less necessity. The booklet presentation completely rankles: telling you event-by-event what's needed, and never spelling out the frequency/pattern behind.

In the process of making the chart I noticed a few "gaps", ie: a maintenance item that was regular as clockwork, say every 3 years or 30K miles, and then they missed it one time. I think this illustrates one inherent danger in the format: it's virtually impossible to spot errors/omissions.

upload_2018-10-10_7-43-48.png

Attached Files:

jerrymildred likes this.
  11. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I’ve seen on here many people say both coolant change at 120,000 mi but on your helpful table, engine coolant is 100,000mi. If that is correct, I’m behind on engine coolant change :(

12. shaggist

shaggist New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Being new both to the Prius and to the Prius forum, I wish to thank those who provided the help that I needed with my question. Thank you for your kindness to strangers. The rest, never mind.

bisco likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's tellin' 'em;)

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    By that (wrong) way, none get reset. The right way was a few posts later.

You can't reset total miles accidentally, legally, or without special tools. But if you get the method wrong, you can easily reset Trip A. When my first Prius received its first service, the fumble-fingered tech also reset Trip B.

The maintenance trip meter is not displayed on the dash, it can be read only with special tools or an OBDII-port engine monitor, such as many of us use.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah the table is just taken from the Warranty and Maintenance Booklet, albeit in an easier to read format. There's this:

upload_2018-10-10_18-8-47.png

And then the postscript #3:

upload_2018-10-10_18-10-45.png

Which basically means:

engine coolant at 100K (or 120 months)
    engine/inverter coolant at 150K (or 180 months)

And so on, both every subsequent 50K or 60 months.

16. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the conformation. A lot of people posted here to change both at 120,000 mi so I followed suit and now I’m behind on it.

Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.