1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maintenance Schedule to follow!

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Saquibs2004, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Saquibs2004

Saquibs2004 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I just replaced spark plugs on my 2001 prius. The previous owner put in cheap non-iridium ones in there. I used laser iridium and now it drives smoother.

I wanted to know what maintenance schedule I should follow. I have a haynes manual and it doesn't even talk about replacing the transaxle fluid. It highly recommends changing the coolant regularly. A good maintenance schedule would be very useful.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest that you follow the Toyota maintenance guide which can be found online, if you can't find the maintenance and warranty book in your car's glove compartment:
    http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/resources/owners-manuals

Besides the tasks listed in the guide, remove the transaxle drain pan (to clean out the metallic sludge) and replace the transaxle ATF using 5 quarts of Toyota ATF T-IV at 30K mile intervals.

Change the engine and inverter coolant at 30K mile intervals if you use Toyota Long Life Coolant (the red fluid.) If you use Toyota Super Long Life Coolant (pink fluid) then observe 50K mile change intervals.