1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maintenance schedule when using a Prius as a cab

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Uber_NYC, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Uber_NYC

Uber_NYC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi everyone. I’m currently using a 2013 Prius with 58 thousand miles on it for Uber in new you’re city. Together with my cousin we’re driving a little over 1 thousand miles a week. What should my maintenance schedule look like with this heavy use? I’ve been doing oil changes at 5k. I found all the Nutz and Bolts videos on YouTube which are great. Thanks.

NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  2. Uber_NYC

Uber_NYC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Also, I’ve just started using it as an Uber 10k miles ago and

3. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You are wise to change your oil at 5K miles, the recommended OCI for extreme usage. Also change your transaxle fluid ASAP. There are several great @NutzAboutBolts DIY maintenance videos found here. Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos | PriusChat

pilotgrrl and NutzAboutBolts like this.
  4. Monjur

Monjur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I do UBER with 2010 Prius (180K miles). My suggestion would be, keep the car running thru your whole shift. Even though It seems more work for the Prius, in the long run, it's better for overall health/battery life. Once you turn off (Not READY); battery cooler fan stops also. If you are getting calls every 5~10 mins, it can cause the battery overheat; especially outside temp between 59 to 69 (A/C not running). Once 70 or higher most likely we are using A/C and it cools the battery lot faster. There are many SAT and SUN; I would drive a 12hr shift in the daytime and I saw the differences between on/off and keep running (Prius READY). BTW it's my 3rd year, parttime uber-ing!!! I drove even 103 temp (outside) for a 12hr keeping it ON/Ready for the whole shift. Keeps the cabin comfy and a happy battery pack. I also use full synthetic oil and change between 8K to 9K.

Bay Stater likes this.
  5. b100

b100 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use my 2013 prius as taxi. Drive 5k miles a month. Change my oil (0w20) and filter every 6 to 7k. Trans fluid every 30k. And EGR compleet clean every 100k. the rest as the schedule says.
    It has 150k on it now, no oil consumption.

Bay Stater likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I can't believe myself, but I was going to say the opposite, to stick to Toyota USA recommended 10K mile interval. Piling on the miles fast is likely the least detrimental way to use an engine. A lot of short trips and cold starts, that's severe service. A taxi that's running all day, pretty much always warmed up, is easier on the engine I think.

I'd second a transaxle fluid change: asap, then you can slack off, the first is most critical

Since it hasn't been mentioned: brake inspection, every 30K miles or 3 years, per Toyota USA recommendation. This should entail pulling off the calipers, cleaning/inspecting pads and relube of caliper pins and contact points. Take care with the rears to reassemble with caliper piston in correct orientation and well seated thus, prior to applying parking brake.

Keep coolant and spark plug changes in mind, again, just follow the Toyota schedule.

#6 Mendel Leisk, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018