1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maintenance schedule

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by alextr, Jul 15, 2019.

1. alextr

alextr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Hi all,
    I drive around 2000km (1200mi) a month, 95% or more of it in EV only mode.

Since so much of it is in EV mode, do you think the maintenance visits should be more spaced out?

Arctic_White likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The oil change interval is once a year or 16,000km whichever is first. The intermediate servicing (6 months/8,000km) is mostly to ensure all the other components are not prematurely wearing out or are in good operating condition (more important as the car ages). If you look at the schedule, Service #2 is the one with the oil change. Service #1 is mostly inspection for fluid levels, lubricating locks/hinges and tire rotation.

Arctic_White likes this.
  3. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You need to ask yourself if, when the ICE does operate, is it in operation for an extended period of time in order to get up to full operating temp, or is it just on for a brief period hardly getting past initial warm-up. If it is the latter, then this is considered Special Operating Conditions, and the oil change interval is actually shortened.

Arctic_White and Tideland Prius like this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it's still under warranty, follow the schedule. Once the warranty ends, you can adjust if you like, but I still wouldn't go beyond a year for oil changes. Other than the OCI, I don't know what else would be affected by EV percentage.

Arctic_White likes this.
  5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It should, but Toyota uses a one size approach to oil change intervals regardless of whether the car is a traditional, hybrid, or PHEV one. For contrast, GM uses a oil monitoring system that tracks temperatures, and engine speeds and loads, and the Volt could go two years before the system called for a change. My past Chevies went 7000 to 8000 miles with it.

For sake of the warranty, you should probably follow Toyota's schedule for that time. Simply easier to do so, just in case. Afterwards, you could have oil testing done to see how far you can go between changes.

Fuel age. Eventually, a PHEV will call for fresh gas to be added, and could even go into hybrid mode to just use gas up.

Arctic_White and jerrymildred like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would follow the schedule. check the air filter, don't just replace it at 30k. sparks can poly wait, but should be pulled just to keep from seizing.

coolands and fluids are generally time based anyway.

Arctic_White likes this.